What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Just mixed up a batch of Ben's Liquid Lube for cast boolits. I think I might give it a try on some wadcutters next time I cast up a bunch.

Anyone loading for a 45/70 sharps rifle? Just picked one up and I'm wondering what everyone else is loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loading for an H&R Buffalo Classic. Same idea but of course not a Sharps. I use a 300gr JHP over 4198 for my "warm" loads, and my 405gr cast over 13.5gr of unique for all day plinking. While a soft shooting round, it still does 1300fps over my chrono, which is good for anything in the lower 48. My 300gr JHP is doing 1900fps and has better legs for 150-200 yd shots without having to come up quite as much as the 405gr load. Both loads are trapdoor level pressures.

I load for several 45/70s and one is a Sharps. I use 5744 and a plain base cast bullet. I tried black powder but I don't have the patience or dedication that the Goose has.

This happened:

ZCWyCEA.jpg

So now I have to pull about 900 rounds or so. About 100 of these shot fine before this happened, I don't know what the cause is but I was making pretty anemic rounds so maybe I'm just too close to the lower limit and some variance in the powder throws lead to this.

Anyway after I got over my butthurt about this I loaded up some 69SMKs to test out a new rifle at 200 yards and then this happened:
DhdNsxY.jpg

This was with the highest charge weight I tried also (25.0 of varget) so I think I need to increase on this also, performance was noticeably worse at lower weights.

This happened:

ZCWyCEA.jpg

So now I have to pull about 900 rounds or so. About 100 of these shot fine before this happened, I don't know what the cause is but I was making pretty anemic rounds so maybe I'm just too close to the lower limit and some variance in the powder throws lead to this.

357 mag? That's the only caliber I've made a squib with (also making anemic loads ~3.8 gr bullseye under 158 gr plated RN). Though mine never made that far to the muzzle like yours. You probably had powder but just barely lol. Been there done that. I find it helps to spray some oil on either side of the bullet then get a fairly sturdy cleaning rod and whack it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Only stuff I've done in the reloading room recently is load more 9mm using Zero conical 125 gr JHPs with Titegroup and N320 powder. The wife and sister have been burning through 9mm lately. Need to get cranking at the press lol.

This was 38 specials, 158 berrys PRN with 3.8 of HP-38. However I suspect I had less than 3.8 in this one.

I got the guy out with a combination of various rods and a hammer, I made a pretty good mess of my brass cleaning rod and smashed up about 2 feet of dowel. I think I will get the solid brass rod from brownells in case I screw up again.

This was 38 specials, 158 berrys PRN with 3.8 of HP-38. However I suspect I had less than 3.8 in this one.

I got the guy out with a combination of various rods and a hammer, I made a pretty good mess of my brass cleaning rod and smashed up about 2 feet of dowel. I think I will get the solid brass rod from brownells in case I screw up again.

Oh gotcha. Very similar load to mine. I sold off my 38 brass and just use 357 brass to load "38 spl" rounds.

I made a mess of my cleaning rod too. I got a thicker aluminum rod that works well. Definitely oil both sides. That made a HUGE difference.

This happened:

ZCWyCEA.jpg

Anyway after I got over my butthurt about this I loaded up some 69SMKs to test out a new rifle at 200 yards and then this happened:
DhdNsxY.jpg

This was with the highest charge weight I tried also (25.0 of varget) so I think I need to increase on this also, performance was noticeably worse at lower weights.

so you had one flyer out of a 1" group at 200 yards? if it where a verticle deviation something in my head might say the load. im guessing just a pulled shot.

Last night I polyurethaned my new reloading bench. my room is in-progress

I'm working on my room also. I decided to leave the bench untreated. I may put a formica top on it, but I figure worst case, I can change out the plywood top if it becomes too gnarly.

I would def pick up a stubby before I put myself through the mind numbing job of pulling 900 rounds [laugh]

Picked up a Rainier 18" CHF barrel for my primary AR. Gonna mount it this weekend and build a 77gr load up for it.

I'm working on my room also. I decided to leave the bench untreated. I may put a formica top on it, but I figure worst case, I can change out the plywood top if it becomes too gnarly.

I just put a whiteboard top on my bench. Great cleanup, cheap, and you can take notes for load data right on the bench top. Take a picture of the notes with your phone if you want to save them & wipe it clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 bench tops that I'm poly'ing. 2 are for reloaders and 1 is for a worktop with a vise. The worktop one will have either a piece of rubber/plastic to protect it from damage.

I have 3 bench tops that I'm poly'ing. 2 are for reloaders and 1 is for a worktop with a vise. The worktop one will have either a piece of rubber/plastic to protect it from damage.

I wasn't knocking your decision. I just don't have the patience to do mine right now. Once the room was done and the bench was up I said screw it, mounted my 550 and started moving stuff into the room.

I like the whiteboard idea too, and I'm still toying with the idea of adding a single stage press as well. If not now, then when the right deal comes along.

at Cabela's yesterday, grabbed 250 165g Berry's .40 cal. and 1000 Winchester primers for $26.
Also grabbed the last Lyman 1200 tumbler for $56; SO wants $90 for the same thing.

If you're looking for an easy bench to make, and sturdy as hell, check out the link below. I made 3 of these this weekend and will make a few more once it warms up. Super easy to build, sturdy as hell and no waste. (Ok, I did have an 8" of 2x4 left over.) After building the first one, it was simple to build the next two batch style.

Not bad for 15 2x4's and a sheet of plywood.

http://gingerandthehuth.com/2012/08/diy-work-bench/

On my hard top benches I like to top the plywood with a piece of masonite hardboard, I consider it sacrificial, if it gets chewed up I just put down a fresh piece.

My gun cleaning bench is topped with carpet tiles, they're a great surface to disassemble and clean on, and just like above if they get too ratty I just change them out.

Decapped 400-some .308 brass and began building an RL-550 tool head for M-1 Carbine...have another I'm going to set up for .223.
I need some more Carbine brass...
Mike

I tumbled some brass while I made some adjustments to my 550b. The 9mm decap pin was sticking to spent primers and pulling them back into the primer pocket on the downstroke. It just randomly started happening earlier this week. I rounded the tip of the pin off bit by bit until they'd drop free reliably. Loaded up 300rds of 9mm afterwards without a single stoppage.

Another issue I've been having is the powder funnel occasionally sticking inside the mouth of 9mm brass. Polishing the funnel didn't help, and I don't want to have to lube pistol brass. I have been wet tumbling ever since I started reloading so today I tried some dry media instead and it seemed to help.

I'm kind of at a crossroads now. I have been wet tumbling in small batches in a POS harbor freight tumbler and I've been wanting to upgrade to a thumblers or a Frankfurt Arsenal, but now I'm wondering if I should get a vibratory tumbler first.

I'm kind of at a crossroads now. I have been wet tumbling in small batches in a POS harbor freight tumbler and I've been wanting to upgrade to a thumblers or a Frankfurt Arsenal, but now I'm wondering if I should get a vibratory tumbler first.

I've read that if you use Armor All wash and Wax instead of Dawn it makes sizing and powder drops much smoother. I haven't tried it yet...next load.

Jet.com has the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler for $165 (search 'Frankford Arsenal and go to the 3rd page) and they have a 15% coupon for a first time buy; with free shipping the total is $140.66

I've read that if you use Armor All wash and Wax instead of Dawn it makes sizing and powder drops much smoother. I haven't tried it yet...next load. Jet.com has the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler for $165 (search 'Frankford Arsenal and go to the 3rd page) and they have a 15% coupon for a first time buy; with free shipping the total is $140.66
Thanks for the heads up!

Been loading a bunch of 9mm Zero conical 125 gr JHP over 4 gr of N320. Overnight I tumbled some 30-06, 30 carbine, and 7.62x25 brass I had lying around for awhile. Today I sized and trimmed the 30 carbine brass, then tumbled 9mm and 357 mag brass. Finally had a bunch of time to catch up on brass prep with the wife at work today...

Hand weighed 90 charges of varget for various 69 SMK loads I wanted to test. At this point I think my marksmanship fundamentals are more of a limiting factor than the load data. Made about a 1/2" group at 100 yards though with 25.2 of varget, CCI 400 and 2.26" where the meplat was almost scraping on the mag.

Back
Top Bottom