What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've actually thought about getting and old dryer to tumble media in big batches like that.

I've heard of people using a small portable cement mixer for that.

51-Z0UKuYSL._SY300_.jpg

I mean use a dryer because it doesn't have holes for media to fall out through. Washers do, so you can't use walnut in there, it will all fall out.

Right but you could wet tumble in the washer. Figure out some type of larger media that won't fit through the holes.

Anyone seen mis-stamped brass before?? I was reading a recent reloading thread over on the CZ forums and this guy found a Winchester 9mm case that was stamped .40 S&W. I've never heard or seen photos of that until today. I'm sure it happens but not very common.

View attachment 155887

Anyone seen mis-stamped brass before?? I was reading a recent reloading thread over on the CZ forums and this guy found a Winchester 9mm case that was stamped .40 S&W. I've never heard or seen photos of that until today. I'm sure it happens but not very common.

View attachment 155887

Never accept the headstamp as positive proof of identification. All brass are subject to reforming and, yes, even improper marking from the factory.

On an unrelated note, I'm working down in Bridgeport, CT and stopped by the Bass Pro last night. Holy crap $32 for a pound of 2400?! $29 for Bullseye?! and $29 for WST?! Plus tax...I think I'll pass.

On an unrelated note, I'm working down in Bridgeport, CT and stopped by the Bass Pro last night. Holy crap $32 for a pound of 2400?! $29 for Bullseye?! and $29 for WST?! Plus tax...I think I'll pass.

I think they are trying to pay for the building in their first year.
I didn't find any bargains in there, although they did have quite a selection. Primers were $4 per 100 or more.
I passed, too.
Next time down that way, run up Rt 25 and see what North Atlantic Sportsman has in the shop. Used to get used reloading gear there. He tends to be more skeet/shotgun related, but you may find a few gems.
http://www.northatlanticsportsman.net/apage-64704.htm
There's another shop in that area...CT Gun Exchange
http://www.ctgunexchange.com/
Sometimes you'll find some rarities at Hansens in Southport, too:
http://hansenguns.com/
I didn't see the Siamese Mauser in the shop last visit, but there was a box of .32-40 ammo.

Group mail orders seem to be the only way to get realistic powder pricing.
At one time " Precision Reloading" (now out of SDak.) was in Stafford, CT. What a deal...phone in your powder, primer, bullet order and then go over and pick it up personally. Ahhh, the good old days!

Last edited:
I didn't find any bargains in there, although they did have quite a selection. Primers were $4 per 100 or more.
I passed, too.
Next time down that way, run up Rt 25 and see what North Atlantic Sportsman has in the shop. Used to get used reloading gear there. He tends to be more skeet/shotgun related, but you may find a few gems.
I didn't see the Siamese Mauser in the shop last visit, but there was a box of .32-40 ammo.

At one time " Precision Reloading" (now out of SDak.) was in Stafford, CT. What a deal...phone in your powder, primer, bullet order and then go over and pick it up personally. Ahhh, the good old days!

I might have to check out one of those shops on my way home on Friday - if I have time. I forgot to check Greyson Guns in Orange as they posted a photo of almost every Alliant pistol powder in stock, on their Facebook page a couple weeks ago. I should call just to see what they're charging. Probably not much less than Bass Pro. In fact they probably bought it there and then resell it at the shop...

Can't help you there.
I'm no longer living in New Haven, so it's been awhile since I've been into Greysons. They didn't even have reloading supplies when I last stopped by. As a matter of fact, I haven't been there since they opened their range. I think they moved their shop, too. Just don't know...
Right up Stratford Avenue, there is the Bridgeport Shooting Range. There is a shop in that complex, too. Can't say what they have, if anything, in the reloading area.
In the NH area, there's are a few other shops:
http://www.armsdealer.net/businesses/category/gun-shops/connecticut/orange
Some, such as Silver City Sporting Arms, have limited hours, but he often has decent powder prices. In fact my last Lil' Gun purchases were down there, I believe.
The Hunters Shop (Branford) doesn't seem to deal with FTF gun sales (most auction website dealings, I guess), but it's probably the best store around for in-store mil-surps.
TGS, in Branford center, didn't have reloading gear a year ago...
http://www.tgs-outdoors.com/

Last edited:
Can't help you there.
I'm no longer living in New Haven, so it's been awhile since I've been into Greysons. They didn't even have reloading supplies when I last stopped by. As a matter of fact, I haven't been there since they opened their range. I think they moved their shop, too. Just don't know...
Right up Stratford Avenue, there is the Bridgeport Shooting Range. There is a shop in that complex, too. Can't say what they have, if anything, in the reloading area.
In the NH area, there's are a few other shops:
http://www.armsdealer.net/businesses/category/gun-shops/connecticut/orange
Some, such as Silver City Sporting Arms, have limited hours, but he often has decent powder prices. In fact my last Lil' Gun purchases were down there, I believe.

Yeah according to their FB page, I think that was the first time they had reloading supplies for sale. I'm not sure if they plan on selling reloading supplies regularly. Funny they have a shooting range in this rough area - though people need to practice their shooting skills when you're in a higher risk area.... I work just 2 blocks west of the Bridgeport hospital and it's a pretty rough neighborhood here. Got 24 hour security on site.

Finished loading my first 100 rounds of .300 Blackout last night. Formed the cases from once-fired Lake City brass. Used Speer 125gr TNT HPs over H110 with CCI SRPs.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg

I passed, too.

not only that they might be trying to make up for the lost income from not having anything in stock.
sadly most vendors went up in price on powder and primers....funny though where talking several years ago when BP in foxboro opened. I dont recall seeing any powder under 30$/$ and primers where 3.75 per 100 and you couldnt buy a thousand round sleeve at a discount ? a 25# bag of lead shot was 89$.... I generally walk out of bass pro with out ever spending money.

Last edited:
not only that they might be trying to make up for the lost income from not having anything in stock.
sadly most vendors went up in price on powder and primers....funny though where talking several years ago when BP in foxboro opened. I dont recall seeing any powder under 30$/$ and primers where 3.75 per 100 and you couldnt buy a thousand round sleeve at a discount ? a 25# bag of lead shot was 89$.... I generally walk out of bass pro with out ever spending money.

I need to research this component price hike. I'm curious what the go-to "powder" vendor will be charging for 2016...

- - - Updated - - -

I might have to check out one of those shops on my way home on Friday - if I have time. I forgot to check Greyson Guns in Orange as they posted a photo of almost every Alliant pistol powder in stock, on their Facebook page a couple weeks ago. I should call just to see what they're charging. Probably not much less than Bass Pro. In fact they probably bought it there and then resell it at the shop...

Called Greyson last night after work and all they have left is 2 pounds of Blue Dot and 1 pound of 2400, each at $30 plus tax...I'll pass considering I paid $20 a pound for 2400 back in April.

Called Greyson last night after work and all they have left is 2 pounds of Blue Dot and 1 pound of 2400, each at $30 plus tax...I'll pass considering I paid $20 a pound for 2400 back in April.

Well, in reality, our (fiat) currency is valueless. It's not so much that things cost more, but we're buying the same thing with continuously degraded currency.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyV0OfU3-FU
And to think, I scored an 8# keg of Winchester powder for my brother for $100 the other week. Was able to capitalize on someone else's ordering snafu. He got what he needed and took a small loss on his ordering mistake.
Seems you just have to keep your powder dry for every little opportunity that falls into your lap.

Last edited:
Well, in reality, our (fiat) currency is valueless. It's not so much that things cost more, but we're buying the same thing with continuously degraded currency.
And to think, I scored an 8# keg of Winchester powder for my brother for $100 the other week. Was able to capitalize on someone else's ordering snafu. He got what he needed and took a small loss on his ordering mistake.
Seems you just have to keep your powder dry for every little opportunity that falls into your lap.

this......

Good point

Loaded some 7.62x25 since I got a bunch of primed brass from fellow NESer jpm. I hadn't loaded some in awhile and forgot how much it sucks to load these...I had issues with the S&B brass buckling when I was crimping. The PPU and Starline brass never did this if I recall. I played around with the expander die and crimp die. Made some without expanding or crimping and then made some without expanding but crimped.

Getting enough neck tension so the bullets pass the push test seems to be key with this caliber. I had to get a Lee universal expanding die to properly expand the cases. The standard expander die that came with the 4 die set was awful.

Loaded some 7.62x25 since I got a bunch of primed brass from fellow NESer jpm. I hadn't loaded some in awhile and forgot how much it sucks to load these...I had issues with the S&B brass buckling when I was crimping. The PPU and Starline brass never did this if I recall. I played around with the expander die and crimp die. Made some without expanding or crimping and then made some without expanding but crimped.

Getting enough neck tension so the bullets pass the push test seems to be key with this caliber. I had to get a Lee universal expanding die to properly expand the cases. The standard expander die that came with the 4 die set was awful.

Do you really need to flare?

Do you really need to flare?

Well it makes it easier to place the bullet in the case while I seat the bullet but now I'm wondering if I really need to? That's why I made some without flaring. I'll report back when I get a chance to shoot them.

I THOUGHT you had to flare them but maybe you don't. It's like a bottleneck rifle case (which you don't flare obviously) so maybe you don't have to?

Well it makes it easier to place the bullet in the case while I seat the bullet but now I'm wondering if I really need to? That's why I made some without flaring. I'll report back when I get a chance to shoot them.

I THOUGHT you had to flare them but maybe you don't. It's like a bottleneck rifle case (which you don't flare obviously) so maybe you don't have to?

It depends. I use some 52 grain flat base bullets for 223. I use the lee universal expander to expand the neck a little just to ease getting the bullet on the neck. My stiff numb fingers are not well suited trying to manipulate those little buggers.
I have yet to try reloading my 762x25

If I recall, most bullets intended for the Tokarev are flat-based, so a little leade in is helpful in preventing crunched mouths. Does any co. offer a seating die with an alignment collet (Hornady has it in my .223 & 6.5 Swede seater die) to assist in this area? Perhaps you can seat the bullets adequately with another .30 caliber seating die with the alignment collet.

Oh... I guess I have to add that I fired a few dozen 7.5 Swiss today and reloaded them with some pulled 147gr FMJBTs that came from some .308 Win. dummy rounds. Got to go easy with the berdan primers though; I don't see anyone carrying them anymore.

As you can plainly see, I'm very high-tech here...

Last edited:
I just held onto the bullet as I inserted it into the seating die which is what I do with every caliber I reload. Even with my Hornady dies that have the alignment sleeve as Navel mentioned. It's probably not necessary but I've had some bullets tip to the side and crush the case as I seat the bullet, so now I just hold onto the bullet.

I didn't crush any casemouths without flaring the cases so I'll have to see how they shoot and adjust from there.

These are the .309" Hornady 90 gr XTPs by the way.
The .308 86 gr JSPs were a PITA to seat so I've moved onto the 90 gr XTPs with great results. Though the 86 gr bullets were VERY accurate.
View attachment 156208

Last edited:
Also finally tried out the .223 Giraud tri way trimmer. Works great! So far I've only been trimming mixed LC brass but they've all trimmed between 1.748-1.750". Not bad. Much better results than with 30-06. Gives a pretty deep chamfer inside the casemouth too.
I just need to find some better gloves to hold onto the cases with. Nitrile gloves will give me blisters after a few hundred cases I suspect.
View attachment 156210View attachment 156211

Back
Top Bottom