What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Guess I'll have to forgive and forget.....anyone have a good load for 2400 and 240 grain jsp?
Nope. I never loaded many in 44 magnum, just 357 magnum, but I ran some test loads with 240 grain coated bullets, and you're welcome to what's in my notes. JSP will have a more resistance getting going, so performance could be better with the lower charges than what I saw with coated, but generally I didn't like it at all until the charge got to 19.0gr. Alliant lists 21gr with Speer GDHP.

CartridgePowderBulletChargeBarrel LengthGunPrimerDateNotesVelocitystddev
44MAlliant 2400240gr MBC LTCFP18.016.5Henry 44 CarbineWLP10/24/20191527.0
44MAlliant 2400240gr MBC LTCFP18.516.5Henry 44 CarbineWLP10/24/2019BAD1562.463.6
44MAlliant 2400240gr MBC LTCFP19.016.5Henry 44 CarbineWLP10/24/2019GOOD1629.628.6
44MAlliant 2400240gr MBC LTCFP19.516.5Henry 44 CarbineWLP10/24/2019OK1653.218.0
44MAlliant 2400240gr MBC LTCFP20.016.5Henry 44 CarbineWLP10/24/20191702.0

Scored a bottle of 2400. Solves my lack of magnum large primer problem for a little while.

I boycotted my use of 2400 since I had a problem with a batch of it a few years ago in my 357 mag reloads. Guess I'll have to forgive and forget.....anyone have a good load for 2400 and 240 grain jsp?
What problem did you have with 2400 in 357?

Of Unique, H110, Enforcer, and 2400, I like 2400 the most so far. Enough so that I bought a 4 pound bottle of it, which may actually last me the rest of my life.

What problem did you have with 2400 in 357?

Of Unique, H110, Enforcer, and 2400, I like 2400 the most so far. Enough so that I bought a 4 pound bottle of it, which may actually last me the rest of my life.
I liked 2400 as well......till I started getting squib loads. They had powder in the case for sure.....i know because there would be a "plug" of half melted looking powder behind the stuck projo on every squib I had with that powder. No idea why......all my reloading techniques were dead on. I pulled a bunch down and weiged the charges.....all plus minus .1 so they were made correctly. Crimps were all good and consistent. Ideas even using same headstamp brass so no real variables to explain the problem.

Last edited:
So I made up some loads using Varget for the first time. Ever. In any caliber. 🍒

These are .223 Rem for my Rem 700 PRS practice rifle. Barrel is 1:12 twist so just 50 and 55 grain pellets to practice positional work at 300 yards ( all I have at nearby range). Hopefully I have something it likes as I left the 550 set up for .223 and can then crank out a batch of 500.

Once this gets sorted out I want to try Varget in 5.56 for the AR.

I've spent the last couple of weeks of free time casting and coating to get some more 9mm projectiles to load up.
Finally got reset and went with CFE pistol for a change.
Noticed a couple of things that could have caused my issues last time.
Firstly (as Pastera pointed out) I was loading to the max number unintentionally.
Secondly, There is not a lot of accuracy in these pocket scales for checking loads within a couple of tenths of a grain.
(If I was already at the max and the scale drifted then I was really over)
Thirdly, The Lee Powder measure isn't consistent to where I'd like and that may have been a factor as well.
Corrections were made and a new batch of 50 worked out just fine. A lot less spicy. 🤣

Banged out 416 rounds of 9mm on Saturday. 15 didn't gauge and 3 had sideways primers. Gauge failures will go into a practice only ammo can. The 3 others were pulled. Running out of my pre-Covid stockpile of primers and bullets. Probably have less than 200 bullets left and about 1500 primers. Only have about 600 rounds of match ready ammo left after yesterday. Running low(ish) on cases too since my matches lately have all been lost brass matches.

Banged out 416 rounds of 9mm on Saturday. 15 didn't gauge and 3 had sideways primers. Gauge failures will go into a practice only ammo can. The 3 others were pulled. Running out of my pre-Covid stockpile of primers and bullets. Probably have less than 200 bullets left and about 1500 primers. Only have about 600 rounds of match ready ammo left after yesterday. Running low(ish) on cases too since my matches lately have all been lost brass matches.
Bisonbrass has good pricing on 9mm brass. That’s where I buy mine

Someday, I'm sure my reloading office will be a rainbow. Some Green here, a splash of Red there, a hunk of Blue in the middle, and even a little Orange in the corner.
i am quite contempt with my blue. it is not perfect, but, it does all i need plus extra. nothing to complaint about, and no need to upgrade or downgrade, that 750 was a good choice.

i would say - anything with multiple stations and swappable toolheads would work. it is really a key when you have multiple calibers to deal with.

Last edited:
I've spent the last couple of weeks of free time casting and coating to get some more 9mm projectiles to load up.
Finally got reset and went with CFE pistol for a change.
Noticed a couple of things that could have caused my issues last time.
Firstly (as Pastera pointed out) I was loading to the max number unintentionally.
Secondly, There is not a lot of accuracy in these pocket scales for checking loads within a couple of tenths of a grain.
(If I was already at the max and the scale drifted then I was really over)
Thirdly, The Lee Powder measure isn't consistent to where I'd like and that may have been a factor as well.
Corrections were made and a new batch of 50 worked out just fine. A lot less spicy. 🤣
Plenty oomhp left on the table with CFE Pistol and standard 9mm loads.
Just don't flirt with over the top +P

Back
Top Bottom