What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I was loading.308 yesterday and with new .01gr scale it was interesting to watch. Some drops were exactly at 43.88gr, around 10 as I placed them in a separate line in a box, then absolute most were at 44.08 with some going to 44.16 and rarely to 44.23.

I think I had only 3-4 times out of 100 to get under throw at 43.7gr. I have now double powder baffle in that measure and some other adjustments. But overall it was remarkably consistent at 44gr varget, like less than a 0.1gr consistent.
I find my scale can do weird things. I had to replace a LED work light that really interfered with my lyman scale.

I have not updated my presses in years and really have no plans to
Hornady 007 press , 3 pro 1000 with set ups for most of my needs.
I am also pretty sure I will never need anything else than the 750 Dillon I have as it does everything in any caliber. Batch or precision loading - any workflow is possible. It is simply awesome. :)

I find all my powder drops are like that, they all seem to have a sweet spot , like for me H4895 through the hornady will drop darn near spot on (once I got the through of the charge handle down) 38-44.5 grains but be damned if I can get better than +/- .3 at 46 and above. Thank god my requirements are not that tight and im not shooting past 200 yards much at all so a .3 or even a .5 swing does not show up down range

Yeah, I drop 0.5 grain under my target load and trickle up to the final charge . . .

They do have some linked videos on the page showing it in action. But I do tend to go to Lee’s site and then YT for more info.

But honestly, Pastera, 240 Geezer and I all recommended it. That really should be enough.

I investigated it after Pastera indicated that it was worth it. I also got it on sale for $75 from Midsouth last year.
Same here but I want to say I paid slightly less than that even.
Of course now I'm wanting a 750 but the APP would still be useful.
I'm getting the feeling that somewhere between 4 and 6 different presses would be the sweet spot. Amiright ?😁

Same here but I want to say I paid slightly less than that even.
Of course now I'm wanting a 750 but the APP would still be useful.
I'm getting the feeling that somewhere between 4 and 6 different presses would be the sweet spot. Amiright ?😁
The biggest problem with 750 is the lack of a possibility to have a swagger installed for station 1 with priming system in station 2.

Also, I posted about the mod I did - my powder measure is moved to station 3 , I removed idiotic rod that was pushing measure up, so it works like the old Dillon design and it is way better.

Biggest plus having measure in station 3 that it is way more convenient for a precision loads flow as it way simpler to put brass in there by hand.

I am not sure if there is any press model out there that would allow to have swagger installed before priming station anyway.

Ok. I don't get it.
I now have 3 different scales.
They all read different.

A Lyman pocket scale
(That I've been using since day one)

A Frankford armory pocket scale (that I just took out of the package last week)

A Lee balance beam
( That I just bought today)

The electronics read within a few 10ths of a grain of each other but drift a few 10ths as well

The balance scale zeros with an empty pan but reads almost a full grain low.

Lee is not for everyone, especially if you need something fancy looking or a cool magazine with hot chicks on it .......
I have all sorts of lee products and they are almost always what you pay for. I have no problems with them. I find the auto drum to be very consistent even with stick and flake powders. The auto drums dont leak with fine powder also.

I have not updated my presses in years and really have no plans to
Hornady 007 press , 3 pro 1000 with set ups for most of my needs.
I find my auto drums leak H335 and similar.
The auto disk is much better but the disks limit charge weights unless I make custom disks for a specific charge (I made a single opening disk in aluminum before i had a 3d printer and made bushings for specific weights as needed)

Ok. I don't get it.
They all read different.

A Lyman pocket scale

A Lee balance beam

The electronics read within a few 10ths of a grain of each other but drift a few 10ths as well

The Lee needs to be pretty much exactly at eye level to avoid parallax error since the "needle" is far in front of the body.
It's also easy to get the beam on crooked so it rubs a little.
I also made a 3d printed scale that I superglue that has 0.2g tick marks.

Ok. I don't get it.
They all read different.

A Lyman pocket scale

A Lee balance beam

Nice welcome to the world of scales.

Ok. I don't get it.
They all read different.

A Lyman pocket scale

A Lee balance beam

Get a proper scale. Lee scales suck. The digitals are good for quick checking bullet weights and stuff but not always very accurate.
Redding. Dillon. RCBS. Beam scales and a check weight set

Get a proper scale. Lee scales suck. The digitals are good for quick checking bullet weights and stuff but not always very accurate.
Redding. Dillon. RCBS. Beam scales and a check weight set
also get a check weight weighed at a pharmacy. they used to do this with out question. Im not sure if they still do these things today. I got a old Ohaus scale from a pharmacy when they remodeled it was super touchy and sensitive. The LED display finally crapped out. It was a bit expensive to replaced. I ended up selling it to a club member for a decent amount of money he needed the load cell cover

319 grains of powder to 75 ml of acetone.
Agitate and let stand 20 minutes.
About 75 9mm 124 grn bullets in a Tupperware container.
Agitate solution in squirter bottle for 2 minutes.
Apply 10ish CCs to bullets
Shake container for 2 minutes.
Pour out bullets onto either a parchment coated tray or wire basket.
Let stand to flash off 10 minutes on top of warm oven.
Place tray or basket in 365 degree oven for 12 minutes.
Rinse repeat as needed .

Rinse repeat as needed .

319 grains ~= 20 grams too much coating for 75ml of acetone

75 124g bullets is only about 1.3lbs so you should use no more than 2.5ml first coat

Shake only until the the coating flashes (I shake in a closed container for 30 seconds and then open for another 30) - if you shake too long you risk the coatings sticking together and pulling off while still sticky.

365° is just barely hot enough to cure - this might work in a convection oven with good air flow but you'll likely find you need to be closer to 200° C to get reliable cure (but dark colors)

If you are close to Taunton, stop by and we can cook a batch or two and get you going.

Rinse repeat as needed .
That also looks like one of the gold colors - unless you want perfect pretty color matching - cook them on the hotter side after a good preheat and you'll get 100% yield as long as you use thin coats to start.

319 grains ~= 20 grams too much coating for 75ml of acetone

75 124g bullets is only about 1.3lbs so you should use no more than 2.5ml first coat

Shake only until the the coating flashes (I shake in a closed container for 30 seconds and then open for another 30) - if you shake too long you risk the coatings sticking together and pulling off while still sticky.

365° is just barely hot enough to cure - this might work in a convection oven with good air flow but you'll likely find you need to be closer to 200° C to get reliable cure (but dark colors)

If you are close to Taunton, stop by and we can cook a batch or two and get you going.
To add to this I also find doing small batches gives spotty results. Literally.
It’s hard to use the right amount of costing and not have it flash of.

Try 5# of bullets and 5ML of coating.

I use 20 grams to 4oz of acetone. It’s a little thin but better that way than thick.

To add to this I also find doing small batches gives spotty results. Literally.
It’s hard to use the right amount of costing and not have it flash of.

Try 5# of bullets and 5ML of coating.

I use 20 grams to 4oz of acetone. It’s a little thin but better that way than thick.
True - I usually try to do 3 lbs at a time

Thanks gents.
Getting better at it but my oven and containers are on the small side. Today I rotated the smaller batches and the ones that came out best were on fresh batch of coating and not crowded in the basket or tray.

Thanks gents.
Getting better at it but my oven and containers are on the small side. Today I rotated the smaller batches and the ones that came out best were on fresh batch of coating and not crowded in the basket or tray.
You can coat in larger batches and just cook in the small 1.5# batches if need be.

Thanks gents.
You can coat a larger amount then break it into smaller batches to bake - once the acetone is flashed off you can bake at any time

Back
Top Bottom