• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

There's a place for Lee
The APP is a beast for case prep and bullet siding
+1 for the Lee APP. I use it for swaging and it moves like a rocket. Switchouts between large primer and small primer is easy.

With an automated case feeder, you can fly decapping or swaging. I think i paid $75 on sale for the APP and $40 for the swage kit

LEE APP is on sale at Midway for $99 with free shipping if we have convinced anyone of how great it is
what i hate about almost all those stores - like, i do not know what the lee app is. or before i did not know what the dillon was.
and you go there trying to get at least some idea of what it is and all you get is a picture like this - that shows nothing that can be clearly seen, and there is nothing else.

973423.jpg

what i hate about almost all those stores - like, i do not know what the lee app is. or before i did not know what the dillon was.
and you go there trying to get at least some idea of what it is and all you get is a picture like this - that shows nothing that can be clearly seen, and there is nothing else.

973423.jpg
They do have some linked videos on the page showing it in action. But I do tend to go to Lee’s site and then YT for more info.

But honestly, Pastera, 240 Geezer and I all recommended it. That really should be enough.

I investigated it after Pastera indicated that it was worth it. I also got it on sale for $75 from Midsouth last year.

for swaging.
i do not do it anymore. i mount the pocket reamer bit into a drill, drill into a vise, and then run a shitload of deprimed cases - ONCE - through this setup. it never needs to be addressed again.

dillon has a swage tool that can be bolted in there instead of priming assembly, but, again, on all the places it is sold it is horribly badly described, often pictures do not even match what they are selling, there are always uncertainty on what caliber it is for, does it have both small and large primer tools or not, and, overall, it is just not worth the time figuring any of that out.

plus i have 0 intent to unbolt the whole primer assembly holder, ever.

Last edited:
The 03 didn't do very well with IMR4064. It likes Varget and IMR4350. I hope it likes Accurate 2520 because it flows so well and is safe in the Garand. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day with very little wind. I'll find out then.

I also just loaded some Garand ammo: LC-69 brass, 43 grains AA-2520 powder, 168 grain HPBT projectiles. I go crazy with the brass case prep, and my handloads get the same accuracy as OTC match ammo

Took powder inventory. I'm shutting myself off. Not allowed to buy any new kinds of powder until I empty some of these out. How does this even happen?

View attachment 734833
That’s a perfect illustration of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

I currently have 9 handgun loads. Four powders.

I KNOW that I could get “better” loads with some other powders - but what I’m liading is good enough.

And with 9 bullet types and three primer types, fewer rather than more powder types is good for me with regards to keeping inventory on hand.

i am quite contempt with my blue. it is not perfect, but, it does all i need plus extra. nothing to complaint about, and no need to upgrade or downgrade, that 750 was a good choice.

i would say - anything with multiple stations and swappable toolheads would work. it is really a key when you have multiple calibers to deal with.
“Contempt”??

I know - you meant “content”, but it’s funny

Got a match Saturday which includes a paddle swinger. Loaded up 200 147 grn 9mm “hot” loads just for that. Running standard load 124s for other stages.

It’s not IDPA or USPSa so I can vary loads without breaking match rules.

Took 20 of them to the range and shot a star and plate rack with them. No noticeable difference in recoil and they hit the steel nicely.

Hello from someone who discovered reloading reasonably recently. I got into reloading when I realized that reloading allows one to enjoy uncommon or expensive calibers. I've been chasing a modern 6.5mm trifecta of calibers: 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. So back to reloading:

I reloaded 220 rounds of 6.5 Grendel this week.
20 Hornady cases and 200 cases of new Starline brass(annealed).
29gr of Hodgdon CFE223
123gr BT bullets from American Reloading. Unfortunately, I don't know the brand and will be going back to Hornady's 123gr ELD-M's for the next batch.

Anybody use the Lee Power Trimmer? I’ve been using it for .223 and .308 and having issues with .308. Works great on .223 as it’s supposed to, but on .308, it will “roll” the neck inwards while trimming. Support said it should only take a few revolutions, which it does on .223.

Almost like it isn’t cutting.

Anybody use the Lee Power Trimmer? I’ve been using it for .223 and .308 and having issues with .308. Works great on .223 as it’s supposed to, but on .308, it will “roll” the neck inwards while trimming. Support said it should only take a few revolutions, which it does on .223.

I'd say it's dull at that cutting diameter.
Sure you have it turning the right direction?

I'd say it's dull at that cutting diameter.
Sure you have it turning the right direction?
Yes, turning clockwise/tightening. It’s almost brand new, I’ve done maybe a couple hundred rounds with it. Can’t complain too much as I feel what I’ve got out of it already was worth the money, but figured it’d be better at larger calibers. I don’t want to run a ton of .308 brass through it and wreck the brass.

loaded up a 100 of 175gr nosler rdfs in the 44 gr varget - as basic .308 recipe as it gets, and it works so well. now i am out of those noslers. :(
that was the reason of my rant in general, as i tried to get more of them at 37c, do not want to pay 40+. gotta wait now for them to appear on sale as blems, if that is going to happen any time soon.

loaded up a 100 of 175gr nosler rdfs in the 44 gr varget - as basic .308 recipe as it gets, and it works so well. now i am out of those noslers. :(
that was the reason of my rant in general, as i tried to get more of them at 37c, do not want to pay 40+. gotta wait now for them to appear on sale as blems, if that is going to happen any time soon.
Ammoseek lists a few places with them in stock for <0.50
1st one I checked was 0.41 and shipping info says to email license if your in a state that requires it.
Buy 3 or more boxes and it's under 0.40 each

Needs a drop or two of cutting oil

i read on forums that they all are 0.3gr accurate at best. hornady was supposed to be the most consistent one, and it kinda was, until it wasn`t. :)
it is just some damn conspiracy, as when it locked into 41.5gr drop - i did like 10 tries out of spite and it did them all absolutely spot on. then i adjusted it up - and it jumped to 42.0.
the 0.1gr in R16 is literally like 2-3 small sticks of it. i am generally ok with setting it to deviate between 41.70 to 41.85gr or so, accuracy starts to fall off above 41.9 and below 41.65 somewhat, just need drops to be in that window.

i probably gonna get one more dillon measure and will try to play with it to see what can be done.
I find all my powder drops are like that, they all seem to have a sweet spot , like for me H4895 through the hornady will drop darn near spot on (once I got the through of the charge handle down) 38-44.5 grains but be damned if I can get better than +/- .3 at 46 and above. Thank god my requirements are not that tight and im not shooting past 200 yards much at all so a .3 or even a .5 swing does not show up down range

I find all my powder drops are like that, they all seem to have a sweet spot , like for me H4895 through the hornady will drop darn near spot on (once I got the through of the charge handle down) 38-44.5 grains but be damned if I can get better than +/- .3 at 46 and above. Thank god my requirements are not that tight and im not shooting past 200 yards much at all so a .3 or even a .5 swing does not show up down range
I was loading.308 yesterday and with new .01gr scale it was interesting to watch. Some drops were exactly at 43.88gr, around 10 as I placed them in a separate line in a box, then absolute most were at 44.08 with some going to 44.16 and rarely to 44.23.

I think I had only 3-4 times out of 100 to get under throw at 43.7gr. I have now double powder baffle in that measure and some other adjustments. But overall it was remarkably consistent at 44gr varget, like less than a 0.1gr consistent.

goody, goody.
i've got all i need :) , but, to each his own. :)
Lee is not for everyone, especially if you need something fancy looking or a cool magazine with hot chicks on it .......
I have all sorts of lee products and they are almost always what you pay for. I have no problems with them. I find the auto drum to be very consistent even with stick and flake powders. The auto drums dont leak with fine powder also.

I have not updated my presses in years and really have no plans to
Hornady 007 press , 3 pro 1000 with set ups for most of my needs.

Back
Top Bottom