• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

loaded 20 spare SRP pieces of 6.5CM brass, and got into a major fight with the stupid hornady powder measure again...
it was set to 41.8, dropping 41.7-8 more or less ok, but, it just decided to start getting stuttered and getting caught cutting powder sticks on every drop and began dispensing 42.1-41.95.
with a very minor adjustment back it then decided it will be running smooth now, but, the drop amount altered to be a 41.5. a very consistent 41.5gr, though.
poking, pushing, well, back to 42.
wtf.
with curses finished loading those 20 rounds, then took it all apart, replaced teflon tape, made sure it is all tight, tested - seems to be agreeable again to dispense 41.8 i need.

i need something else to do those reloder 16 powder drops, it is torture.

loaded 20 spare SRP pieces of 6.5CM brass, and got into a major fight with the stupid hornady powder measure again...
it was set to 41.8, dropping 41.7-8 more or less ok, but, it just decided to start getting stuttered and getting caught cutting powder sticks on every drop and began dispensing 42.1-41.95.
with a very minor adjustment back it then decided it will be running smooth now, but, the drop amount altered to be a 41.5. a very consistent 41.5gr, though.
poking, pushing, well, back to 42.
wtf.
with curses finished loading those 20 rounds, then took it all apart, replaced teflon tape, made sure it is all tight, tested - seems to be agreeable again to dispense 41.8 i need.

i need something else to do those reloder 16 powder drops, it is torture.
This is what I use for my coarse stick rifle powders. For the short money, it works quite well. 1-2 tenths variation usually
Amazon product ASIN B000NTMJLGView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90058-Perfect-Measurer/dp/B000NTMJLG#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

This is what I use for my coarse stick rifle powders. For the short money, it works quite well. 1-2 tenths variation usually
Amazon product ASIN B000NTMJLGView: https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90058-Perfect-Measurer/dp/B000NTMJLG#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
i had 2 different lee things and sent them all back to amazon. they were much worse than hornady.
may be i did not find a right way to cook them, but, the dish was shit.
frankly so far no matter what lee product i tried it was, well, meh. very meh.

plus, i need it to work in the 750 dillon.
I do not think lee has similar contraption for dillon:
EF120BD7-7B96-44A5-8C74-264C72928BBE.jpeg

i had 2 different lee things and sent them all back to amazon. they were much worse than hornady.
may be i did not find a right way to cook them, but, the dish was shit.
frankly so far no matter what lee product i tried it was, well, meh. very meh.

plus, i need it to work in the 750 dillon.
I do not think lee has similar contraption for dillon:
View attachment 733792
Have you tried the RCBS or Lyman versions?

Have you tried the RCBS or Lyman versions?
i read on forums that they all are 0.3gr accurate at best. hornady was supposed to be the most consistent one, and it kinda was, until it wasn`t. :)
it is just some damn conspiracy, as when it locked into 41.5gr drop - i did like 10 tries out of spite and it did them all absolutely spot on. then i adjusted it up - and it jumped to 42.0.
the 0.1gr in R16 is literally like 2-3 small sticks of it. i am generally ok with setting it to deviate between 41.70 to 41.85gr or so, accuracy starts to fall off above 41.9 and below 41.65 somewhat, just need drops to be in that window.

i probably gonna get one more dillon measure and will try to play with it to see what can be done.

i read on forums that they all are 0.3gr accurate at best. hornady was supposed to be the most consistent one, and it kinda was, until it wasn`t. :)
it is just some damn conspiracy, as when it locked into 41.5gr drop - i did like 10 tries out of spite and it did them all absolutely spot on. then i adjusted it up - and it jumped to 42.0.
the 0.1gr in R16 is literally like 2-3 small sticks of it. i am generally ok with setting it to deviate between 41.70 to 41.85gr or so, accuracy starts to fall off above 41.9 and below 41.65 somewhat, just need drops to be in that window.

i probably gonna get one more dillon measure and will try to play with it to see what can be done.
From what I've heard, some are better for one style of powder than others. It seems @EddieCoyle has set up with the RCBS units for his classes, but that might be because they're good enough with the powders he uses for classes.

it costs beyond unreasonable. i do not support such things.
plus i can chargemaster it myself for amounts i load. plus, all my measures are 0.1-0.2gr accurate now. this one was too, just need to fix it.
41V6yDCF6PL._AC_UL320_.jpg
+
iu
+
iu
+ PID controller = success??

41V6yDCF6PL._AC_UL320_.jpg
+
iu
+
iu
+ PID controller = success??
i know of that path, but, i am perfectly capable to trickle it by hand, if that would be the goal. as it is what i do now - just trickle it out of the case, as by nowi know exactly how much powder to remove for 0.1gr, 0.2gr, etc.
it is a progressive press, so, i want it to do what it is made for - just do damn drops in the prescribed amounts. for .308 and 6.5cm where total amount of drop is above 40gr the 0.2gr deviation is not that damn critical, really. and it is possible to make those measures to drop within 0.2gr accuracy, typically.
it is just so annoying when something that used to work fine just stops doing it. :)

Nothing fancy, added the roller arm to my Dillon 550. About time after 6 years and 12-15K or so rounds loaded with the original arm with the little blue ball on top. Seems little better but I never had issues with the original handle and I am only 100 rounds of .45 into testing it.

On a side note, the powder drop/bell station is really sticking on the upstroke. Never used to. Been through more than 6000 .45acp and it just started being noticibly bad the last few hundred rounds. Any thoughts? I read about polishing it and also case lube. They are carbide Dillon dies and it's never been an issue before. I ran the batch of clean cases (cleaned 2 or 3 years ago probably) back through the tumbler with some Nufinish polish which seemed to help some.

Those are rookie numbers.
I don't have a lot myself but after looking at the 3 measly pounds I had on hand I decided to up the count. I asked a buddy what he was using and he responded "CFE pistol, want some?"
So I said sure.
Then a member here posted 3 lbs of it on a great deal.
So I said sure.
And just like that my stash doubled.
A long way to go but of course you all could help by recommending some go to powders for pistol and rifle.
Unique
N320
etc?

That sounds like a neat recipe. I suspect you will have a ton of side blast from the cylinder gap. I like Titegroup, but it is pretty spicy.
I put 2 cylinders of it through the 629. Surprised me with accuracy quite good. Warmer than I thought too ill have to chrono that load......Lyman estimates 1050 fps but it felt hotter. The smoke though......holy f***! Almost like shooting black powder! I've used unique with cast bullets and it was smoky.....any cast projo smokes but using cast with titegroup......holy shit!

I put 2 cylinders of it through the 629. Surprised me with accuracy quite good. Warmer than I thought too ill have to chrono that load......Lyman estimates 1050 fps but it felt hotter. The smoke though......holy f***! Almost like shooting black powder! I've used unique with cast bullets and it was smoky.....any cast projo smokes but using cast with titegroup......holy shit!
That sounds about right!

My most accurate 38 special load is with cast bullets and Titegroup. I was surprised how loud it is though. Real sharp pop to it.

Almost finished my winter chore of prepping all my precision rifle brass. Just 50 rounds of .308 to trim and bevel and I am done. Nice to have all the .223, 6.5 and now .308 completed.

I did toss out 50 pieces BHA. Match 308 brass that had been reloaded 6 times as a few of the necks had small splits. I didn’t pick up on it until I was trimming them.

I installed the Hit Factor shell plate bearing kit for the 550 that showed up yesterday. I don’t expect to make better ammo because of it, ( I’ll see) but it adjusted in easier, turning is more uniform and maybe less play in shell plate. I did fine sand bottom of all my shell plates this week

Finally out of frustration I ordered two case holders for 308 for the rock chucker presses. My original rock checker from the 80’s I use for de-capping only, my supreme is for sizing and loading and they are on different benches. Somehow I lost one shell holder and it was stupidly annoying to move shell holder between presses. I kept expecting the missing one to show up.

it costs beyond unreasonable. i do not support such things.
plus i can chargemaster it myself for amounts i load. plus, all my measures are 0.1-0.2gr accurate now. this one was too, just need to fix it.
Do you have a baffle in the drop?
Stick powders stack much differently so you do end up with discrete weights that are more stable than other weights.
A baffle can change the flow rate into the drop which effects stacking and therefore where those discrete stabilities occur.

Do you have a baffle in the drop?
Stick powders stack much differently so you do end up with discrete weights that are more stable than other weights.
A baffle can change the flow rate into the drop which effects stacking and therefore where those discrete stabilities occur.
i do, and i think i may need to drop in a second one, may be. it is on my to-do list to take it all apart and review again. right now i am re-printing my dillon lubricate adapters stock, i redesigned them somewhat, to make them all work for handgun calibers as well as for rifle, there was some interest from 1911 forum folks there.

i added a blocking insert there and redesigned wheels to use way less oil than before. all in all it is progressing rather well, i have not lost all the interest to keep doing it yet. :)

IMG-3619.jpg

Scored a bottle of 2400. Solves my lack of magnum large primer problem for a little while.

I boycotted my use of 2400 since I had a problem with a batch of it a few years ago in my 357 mag reloads. Guess I'll have to forgive and forget.....anyone have a good load for 2400 and 240 grain jsp?

Last edited:
Scored a bottle of 2400. Solves my lack of magnum large primer problem for a little while.

I boycotted my use if 2400 since I had a problem with a batch of it a few years ago in my 357 mag reloads. Guess I'll have to forgive and forget.....anyone have a good load for 2400 and 240 grain jsp?
Nice. Where’d ya find 2400?

Back
Top Bottom