What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Yeah, you need to shop around in order to get a deal…. I believe it was $99… not saying it was cheap, just cheaper….. but honestly worth every penny!
Yeah not too bad. Maybe I’ll get it as part of my spending spree late summer when I pick up a Shadow 2 for your matches. Maybe.
To each their own of course. But I’ve reloaded at least 40,000+ rounds of 9mm and never case gauged them.
Before a match I do check to see if the primers are oriented correctly as I’ve gotten burned a couple times at a match with upside down primers 😂
Hasn’t been an issue yet. But then again I’m lazy
Same here. Not that many 9 but probably close to that in 45 with no issues. The only gauging I do is a plunk test when first setting up the dies.
Though I just picked up a 223 case gauge and I think I’ll be checking all of those.

I find that when I gauge test ammo, even the rejects fit in my gun. I just put those aside and plunk test them in the barrel. I would think it would be useful if you are using that ammo in a few different guns, especially if one is a tighter chamber.

I think i’ve only had 1 or 2 that didn’t fit in the barrel. I don’t roll size, so it was a bulge at the base.

I’ve taken to case gaging after resizing to find any of these before they go in the “finally ready to load” bucket. This is all to avoid that one that would require me to pull it.

just picked up a 223 case gauge and I think I’ll be checking all of those.
you can check the length there, but if you count the times you rotate them - it is easier just to run them in bulk through the trimmer an every 5th reload.
as of 'checking' - not sure what people expect to measure there, a fact that a fullsize body die still works?

I find that when I gauge test ammo, even the rejects fit in my gun. I just put those aside and plunk test them in the barrel. I would think it would be useful if you are using that ammo in a few different guns, especially if one is a tighter chamber.

I think i’ve only had 1 or 2 that didn’t fit in the barrel. I don’t roll size, so it was a bulge at the base.

I’ve taken to case gaging after resizing to find any of these before they go in the “finally ready to load” bucket. This is all to avoid that one that would require me to pull it.
Yeah I find the chambers are looser than my gauges for sure. I do have a 1911 that’s super tight so I can’t use the ammo I had already loaded for my other 1911 and 625. It’s too fat.
you can check the length there, but if you count the times you rotate them - it is easier just to run them in bulk through the trimmer an every 5th reload.
as of 'checking' - not sure what people expect to measure there, a fact that a fullsize body die still works?
Bulk blasting brass can easily get mixed with anything else on the ground at the range during brass ratting. So it’s worth a quick check on length. I use a Giraud trimmer so it’s not really a chore to get the few stragglers.
Of course you can use brass catchers and tarps or clean up the range before you start shooting.

Dies can wear out. Presses can get sloppy. The issue usually isn’t there but in the brass. Some stuff was fired in an oversized chamber and doesn’t like to size back down. Some stuff has been reloaded one too many times and doesn’t like to size back down. Some cheap brand brass is not consistent and doesn’t want to size back down.
I’ve run into some off brand 223 brass that never wants to go back to its intended size. PMP is one that comes to mind.

The saga of the AK continues. I loaded some 150 grain .312 bullets and my son shot a group at 100 yards. He put 9 of the 11 into 3 3/4". I expected an improvement but not that much. AKs don't have great sights or triggers and this one is about 30 years old with many thousands of rounds down the tube. He has many rifles to choose from but has been shooting this one since he was a little boy. He wants to take a deer with it next season. I think it'll do.

I guage everything i load. Catches the bad seating of lead projectiles, (where i drove the bullet outside the case shaving it), and the occasional high primer.

Plus lets me dump 50 or 100 at a time into the ammo can so it’s easy to keep track of what’s in the can.
I have a simple way to track whats in the can, full , not so full and f*** need to load more, lol

I have a simple way to track whats in the can, full , not so full and f*** need to load more, lol
I’ll give you that.

I’m leaving for CT in a couple months, taking guns and ammo with me. I need to make sure I’ve got enough 9mm to last me four months or so. Which is a min of 4000 rounds.

So i pack 500 rounds to a box here, and I’ll condense 4 or 5k into 4 larger metal containers when i pack. But as i get closer to leaving it’s easy to look at the shelves and know if I’ve got enough for trip AND before i leave.

Plus - OCD code monkey

I’ll give you that.

I’m leaving for CT in a couple months, taking guns and ammo with me. I need to make sure I’ve got enough 9mm to last me four months or so. Which is a min of 4000 rounds.

So i pack 500 rounds to a box here, and I’ll condense 4 or 5k into 4 larger metal containers when i pack. But as i get closer to leaving it’s easy to look at the shelves and know if I’ve got enough for trip AND before i leave.

Plus - OCD code monkey
OCD , ugh I feel for you OCD types.
I would drive you to drool in a corner, lol

Made 30 rounds of my 38 bullseye ammo for Wedensday night.

Made 100 rounds of 357 mag 125 grain jsp over h110

Made 50 rounds of 44 mag with 240 grain cast lswc over 9.5 grains titegroup. I wanted to make some hot jsp with h110 but I'm out of magnum large primers. I have a shit ton of titegroup that I use in summer for plate banging 45acp loads figured I'd try it on 44 mag. Lyman says 9 to 10 I went 9.5.

I don't have high hopes that 44 mag with titegroup will be anything very hot but at least I can feed my 629.

Made 30 rounds of my 38 bullseye ammo for Wedensday night.

Made 100 rounds of 357 mag 125 grain jsp over h110

Made 50 rounds of 44 mag with 240 grain cast lswc over 9.5 grains titegroup. I wanted to make some hot jsp with h110 but I'm out of magnum large primers. I have a shit ton of titegroup that I use in summer for plate banging 45acp loads figured I'd try it on 44 mag. Lyman says 9 to 10 I went 9.5.

I don't have high hopes that 44 mag with titegroup will be anything very hot but at least I can feed my 629.
Snatch these up if they’re not already gone

Dear Facebook;
During the "between times," St Andrew clued me in to a deal on a RCBS kit. Last year, I used my birthday discount at Midway to buy dies for every caliber I owned.

It's been an embarrassingly long time, but I finally did a test assembly, and took stock of everything. I think all the tools it came with, plus my own calipers and digital scale, should give me everything I need (except materials) to get started. I also skimmed the (included) Nosler handbook and added reference tags for all of my calibers.

I can tell already, my first upgrade will be to add the LNL bushings. Screwing things in, and out, is annoying as heck.

Dear Facebook;
During the "between times," St Andrew clued me in to a deal on a RCBS kit. Last year, I used my birthday discount at Midway to buy dies for every caliber I owned.

It's been an embarrassingly long time, but I finally did a test assembly, and took stock of everything. I think all the tools it came with, plus my own calipers and digital scale, should give me everything I need (except materials) to get started. I also skimmed the (included) Nosler handbook and added reference tags for all of my calibers.

I can tell already, my first upgrade will be to add the LNL bushings. Screwing things in, and out, is annoying as heck.
😂 nice!
Ya the LNL bushings/rings are great. Set it (the die) and forget it

I actually didn’t realize you could use the LNL bushings in other presses with adaptors.
Happy to share what little info I have.

And welcome to the “Not Dillon” team.
I'm bad at teams. It seems likely, if I ever try to load at volume, thatI'll have a blue progressive setup. It's a little early to say...

I actually didn’t realize you could use the LNL bushings in other presses with adaptors.

I have an LNL but another press for rifle. Might be time to get some of those bushing adaptors.

Yeah I didn’t realize that either. @Mesatchornug are you using the sure loc rings or the actual bushings? I assumed you were talking about the rings

Amazon product ASIN B001OPTMU4View: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-044606-Sure-Loc-Lock-Ring/dp/B001OPTMU4

Yeah I didn’t realize that either. @Mesatchornug are you using the sure loc rings or the actual bushings? I assumed you were talking about the rings

Amazon product ASIN B001OPTMU4View: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-044606-Sure-Loc-Lock-Ring/dp/B001OPTMU4
In @EddieCoyle's class, he had converted his RCBS presses.

Edit -
In fact, I just ordered the conversion kit and some extra bushings to set up my dies. They're cheaper on Midway than Amazon, and NRA2023 gets free shipping right now... then I added the RCBS bullet puller, a couple collets, some .355 bullets, and a couple reloading manuals.

Last edited:

I have an LNL but another press for rifle. Might be time to get some of those bushing adaptors.

They’re super nice for a quick change over. I have them on my Rock Chucker. I had them on my RL special too but removed it and swapped over when I got my Rockchucker. I might add one to the RL again.
I only really use that RL for Lee bullet sizing dies.

In @EddieCoyle's class, he had converted his RCBS presses.

Edit -
In fact, I just ordered the conversion kit and some extra bushings to set up my dies. They're cheaper on Midway than Amazon, and NRA2023 gets free shipping right now... then I added the RCBS bullet puller, a couple collets, some .355 bullets, and a couple reloading manuals.
Pretty cool. I thought the bushings were specific to the LNL press. Nice

Here's just the adapter:

Back
Top Bottom