What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Switched the 650 over to 9mm the other day. Cranked out 750 124 grain round nose last night/this morning.
Just curious what are you using for dies? Case feeder and bullet feeder? I'm about to start using my 650 for the first time and curious on other setups. I definitely want to get the Inline Fab light kit.

Just curious what are you using for dies? Case feeder and bullet feeder? I'm about to start using my 650 for the first time and curious on other setups. I definitely want to get the Inline Fab light kit.
I use dillon dies and case feeder but no bullet feeder. Basically keep my right hand on the lever and my left hand picks and places a bullet. Goes along at a pretty good pace once you get going.

Also have a primer alarm to give a heads up when they're running low. In hindsight just another do-dad that one can probably do without if you train yourself to keep an eye on the primer dipstick thingy.

Pulled the 550 apart for a clean and lube. Only have run couple thousand rounds but I was bored and ever broke it down yet. How often you go through ur press

Getting ready to go through mine soon as well...bought a few new parts for the overhaul since some things got rusty in storage during the move to Indy late last year. Did you use a ‘step by step’ guide? I’ve seen one around somewhere, but can’t remember where it was, lol.

Pulled the 550 apart for a clean and lube. Only have run couple thousand rounds but I was bored and ever broke it down yet. How often you go through ur press

Once a year. Usually right before I know I'm going to run it for a few months straight.
Mostly just to get any powder out from underneath the shell plate.

Loaded up and cylinder checked 33 moons for an outlaw steel shoot tomorrow.
Kinda stoked, haven't shot anything organized since January or February.

Getting ready to go through mine soon as well...bought a few new parts for the overhaul since some things got rusty in storage during the move to Indy late last year. Did you use a ‘step by step’ guide? I’ve seen one around somewhere, but can’t remember where it was, lol.

I just found a couple quick Dillon videos on youtube that they explain disassembly and lubrication its actually pretty simple.

I definitely want to get the Inline Fab light kit.
There was a light that I bought from someone included in the stuff I sold you. Is that the one in the picture below?

Had some time and decided to put the XL650 together. Just need to make some final adjustments to the dies and I'll brew up some test loads tomorrow.

View attachment 381093
Looking good!

I also found the Dillon manual for it. It was in another carton and it is yours if we are able to connect up.

And I have a video by Dillon on the XL650, apparently it is their video manual on VHS that I'll post for sale soon.

There was a light that I bought from someone included in the stuff I sold you. Is that the one in the picture below?

Looking good!

I also found the Dillon manual for it. It was in another carton and it is yours if we are able to connect up.

And I have a video by Dillon on the XL650, apparently it is their video manual on VHS that I'll post for sale soon.
I have the light, well half of it, there was no power cord adapter and I don't have access to my work on the weekends to make one so I went with the one I have for now. We will definitely have to get together sometime, I'm sure I'll be taking one of your classes in the future.

The "power cord" required is a power brick with a relatively standard connector at the end. When I bought it, the guy that built them didn't provide the power bricks either. IIRC it is 12V 1A and if Radio Shack still existed, they'd be easy to get. You Do It Electronics or perhaps Amazon. I just can't tell you the dimensions for the connector.

I definitely want to get the Inline Fab light kit.
I just sent you a PM about that light. For anyone interested, @beaker created that light. Here's the thread.

stupid newbie tricks..

went from reloading pistol ammo to rifle... Swapped everything out appropriately, or so I thought... started dropping powder into the rifle cases and when I pulled the case off the dispenser, I'm dropping all kinds of powder on the floor.. WTF...

Finally realized I had the smaller drop adapter thingy and the 46gr of stick powder was getting hung up.... lesson learned.

9mm reloaders, a question please. why do you load 115 gr. rn bullets? i never noticed them before, i have always gone for the 124 gr. or 147 gr. bullets when i reload 9's. surprisingly 9 mm is what l load and shoot the least of so i just stayed with what i know. back in the day i believe the load of choice was a 147 gr. it's all you could get in a commercially loaded round say in the '70's, 147 gr. jrn. just asking cause i'm putting another order in for lead and i see everyone offers that light bullet. close in weight to a .380, i had a 85 grain .355 bullet mold when i cast 30 years ago iirc. so, what advantage do i have using them?

I reload lead core bullets down to 90ish grain. These are typically used in the .380 Auto, but according to Lee data, there is information for 88g bullets in the 9x19mm. Of course, non-lead bullets can be much lighter than 88g.
Especially in times like these, any suitable bullet that you can acquire is worth a look.
At one point I was buying the tiny 95g FMJRN, as they were available in bulk and cheaply at many LGS. Heck, they worked well in .38 Special, albeit slightly under-sized. Unless you hit the pepper poppers at the base, they'd do the trick. Unless you have PF requirements, I don't have any hesitation using out of the norm bullet weights.
Now, don't get jealous reloaders...
I picked up three cases on my outdoor range this morning, so I promptly reloaded them; one 10mm Auto and two 9x19mms. Big production (I told you not to be envious)!

I reload lead core bullets down to 90ish grain. These are typically used in the .380 Auto, but according to Lee data, there is information for 88g bullets in the 9x19mm. Of course, non-lead bullets can be much lighter than 88g.
Especially in times like these, any suitable bullet that you can acquire is worth a look.
At one point I was buying the tiny 95g FMJRN, as they were available in bulk and cheaply at many LGS. Heck, they worked well in .38 Special, albeit slightly under-sized. Unless you hit the pepper poppers at the base, they'd do the trick. Unless you have PF requirements, I don't have any hesitation using out of the norm bullet weights.
Now, don't get jealous reloaders...
I picked up three cases on my outdoor range this morning, so I promptly reloaded them; one 10mm Auto and two 9x19mms. Big production (I told you not to be envious)!

im more envious u were at the range this morning than ur large rolling session.

Ahhh yes. That is a luxury and extra benefit, I agree.
It's very spartan (the range), but it sure is handy to brew a few loads and pop outside to test fire them.

I'll throw in the pics for free; a few oddities that work well...

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DEWC7.62a.jpg
    DEWC7.62a.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 4
  • .308JSWC.jpg
    .308JSWC.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
9mm reloaders, a question please. why do you load 115 gr. rn bullets? i never noticed them before, i have always gone for the 124 gr. or 147 gr. bullets when i reload 9's. surprisingly 9 mm is what l load and shoot the least of so i just stayed with what i know. back in the day i believe the load of choice was a 147 gr. it's all you could get in a commercially loaded round say in the '70's, 147 gr. jrn. just asking cause i'm putting another order in for lead and i see everyone offers that light bullet. close in weight to a .380, i had a 85 grain .355 bullet mold when i cast 30 years ago iirc. so, what advantage do i have using them?

For the 9x18 or 9 Kurz (9x17) maybe?

Just remember, the Makarov uses a larger diameter bullet than 9mm Para, Luger, Browning, Short, Corto, Kurz, 9x21, 9x23, 9mm Magnum, yada, yada...
It's usually .364" dia. or so; just to add more confusion to the mix.

For me, it's purely economics. They are usually the cheapest bullets, and 9mm is what I shoot/plink the most after .22 lr. If you cast your own, I would think you would also get a few more bullets per pound of lead.

just asking cause i'm putting another order in for lead and i see everyone offers that light bullet. close in weight to a .380, i had a 85 grain .355 bullet mold when i cast 30 years ago iirc. so, what advantage do i have using them?

I never even considered that there might be an advantage to 115 grain bullets. I thought it was just the modern default bullet weight for cheap, factory-loaded 9mm range ammo and people would reload it because their reloads come in cheaper as well, all things considered. Also, while some newer guns might not like loads with heavier bullets (my Hi Point carbine hates 147 grain factory loads, for example), a manufacturer has to expect that their guns are going to see a regular diet of 115 grain loads, so hopefully they cycle reliably, even if the guns don't like anything else.

Loaded up a whopping 10 rounds of 9mm using 124 gr RMR FMJRN bullets on top of 5.4 grains of Alliant BE 86, mixed brass and using the Fiocchi Small Rifle Primers that were mentioned in previous posts. These are test loads to see how they perform with the SRPs. I'm hoping to get out next week and chrono them, then I'll report back.

I thought it was just the modern default bullet weight for cheap, factory-loaded 9mm range ammo....
yeah, i just checked several boxes of 100 count 9 mm i bought at the last shortage and it's mostly 115 gr. shows when it got short i was just so happy to find it i didn't even look at what it was. as i said, i rarely shoot 9. i don't think i've touched any of the stash factory boxes, i shoot my reloads if i do shoot it. usually from my carry gun which oddly is 9.

i shoot my reloads if i do shoot it. usually from my carry gun which oddly is 9.

Same here, actually. I shoot revolvers and long guns for fun, usually carry a 9mm compact or subcompact--all business, not much fun (IMHO). I have the Hi-Point carbine as well, which I actually hate. I keep it for its post-apocalypse barter value. :)

Back
Top Bottom