What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Reloading the 9x19mm for the second time today. Pop off a few magazines, gather up the brass and do it all over again.
Why? I don't know, "because we like you!"
I guess I don't want to dig out other boxes of reloads or shoot the fancier stuff that's on my bench. No need to use XDs, ARX or HSTs on balloons and paper.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2Mg7Til2s

was investigating reloading 7.62x39 yesterday. why? cause i can. bought another case of x39 from ts friday (no, they weren't blanks) but thought i'd give this a go instead of using the factory stuff to punch holes. it's the only caliber i don't load for that i shoot. went amazon window shopping...

rcbs die set ✅

shell holder ✅

lrg rifle primers ✅

500 pcs starline brass ✅

hp-4198 or h4198 powder ✅

.311" bullets NO CHECK!

whaaat? no go...nobody had those in stock. now i need to find those first before i assemble the rest of the components, buy a couple thousand, and then carry on. just thought it would be a fun winter project to try and tailor a load for each of my rifles.
Has long been the problem, even if you use .310s they are often "expensive" vs basic x39 factory fodder

Right. 7.62x39mm bullets are no longer in the 10¢ to 15¢ camp. I do see the Inceptor SRR bullet for 7¢ though (b/o, of course...perhaps a misprint...?)
Don't you think most surplus 39mm will no longer be 22¢ - 25¢ a round going forward?

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 5
Welp...good news and bad news. Last week did 1k 124 grain 9mm. Over the last 3-4 days I did almost another 1k. I was in the home stretch today and the e clip that holds the de-priming rod in place...disappeared. Looked for quite a while and have no idea where it ended up.

First time for me with this particular break down so I kind of jumped the gun a bit. Disconnected the powder drop rod, pulled out the toolhead and removed the sizing die. (couldnt get a wrench in there to remove the die so I had to pull the whole toolhead). Went to Home Depot, then another Home Depot and finally Lowes and picked up a few 1/4" e clips. Put everything back together, double checked the powder weight and started again. (had maybe 100-ish bullets left in the box of 1k)

Im in the habit of eyeballing the case when I set the bullet to make sure theres powder in there and maybe 50 rounds in I see one that looks way low. Pull it, weigh it...1.9 grains (!?!) I was loading 4 grains of Titegroup for a couple weeks with no issues. So I start charging and weighing one by one and theyre now ALL not only low but all over the road. 2, 1.8, 3.1, etc. Usually the Dillon powder drop is right on the money every time.

No idea what the deal is but I pulled the 9mm head and figured Id switch over to 223 since I only had a literal handful of 9mm projectiles left (of that box at least). Planning on pulling the powder drop die apart and seeing whats what. Silver lining is that before I puled the toolhead the first time, I dumped the finished rounds from the bin, so I know that I have the questionable ones segregated.

About to lube up some 223 and get started on those.

Anyone experience such a dramatic change in charge weights with a 650?

Welp...good news and bad news. Last week did 1k 124 grain 9mm. Over the last 3-4 days I did almost another 1k. I was in the home stretch today and the e clip that holds the de-priming rod in place...disappeared. Looked for quite a while and have no idea where it ended up.

First time for me with this particular break down so I kind of jumped the gun a bit. Disconnected the powder drop rod, pulled out the toolhead and removed the sizing die. (couldnt get a wrench in there to remove the die so I had to pull the whole toolhead). Went to Home Depot, then another Home Depot and finally Lowes and picked up a few 1/4" e clips. Put everything back together, double checked the powder weight and started again. (had maybe 100-ish bullets left in the box of 1k)

Im in the habit of eyeballing the case when I set the bullet to make sure theres powder in there and maybe 50 rounds in I see one that looks way low. Pull it, weigh it...1.9 grains (!?!) I was loading 4 grains of Titegroup for a couple weeks with no issues. So I start charging and weighing one by one and theyre now ALL not only low but all over the road. 2, 1.8, 3.1, etc. Usually the Dillon powder drop is right on the money every time.

No idea what the deal is but I pulled the 9mm head and figured Id switch over to 223 since I only had a literal handful of 9mm projectiles left (of that box at least). Planning on pulling the powder drop die apart and seeing whats what. Silver lining is that before I puled the toolhead the first time, I dumped the finished rounds from the bin, so I know that I have the questionable ones segregated.

About to lube up some 223 and get started on those.

Anyone experience such a dramatic change in charge weights with a 650?

Is the powder bar replaced In the correct direction?

Friend of mine just posted on FaceBook that he had some 125 grn Blue Bullets.

I load .38's in two weights, 158 and 125. 158 for pins, 125 for everything else.
I have 400 loaded right now in 158, and ~1500 in 125.

Looked under the bench, I have 1K 158 grn bullets, and 2K 125 grn bullets sitting there, plus x of each in trays on the bench.

IM'd him, and it seems he bought a case of .38/.357 intending to buy 9mm.
1200 projectiles per box, his cost 65$.

Hmmm.
Two boxes please.
Yes, I am shooting the 2gun match, see you there. TYVM.

It's not like they'll go bad sitting on the floor under my bench.

The vertical rod with the spring on the end? I may have had it wrong, idk. Ive switched over already and have just the sizing die in this toolhead. Ill look into that, thanks.

my apologies I meant the powder failsafe rod. I know on the 550 they specifically state putting in from left to right. I’m just brainstorming here but Maybe your sizing die adjustment has changed therefore since the powder funnel is activated from the case it also has changed. Still doesn’t justify the large deviation though. What scale u checking on and have a backup scale?

Maybe your sizing die adjustment has changed therefore since the powder funnel is activated from the case it also has changed.

Thats not a bad theory.

Still doesn’t justify the large deviation though. What scale u checking on and have a backup scale?

Ive been using a small Frankford Arsenal digital scale. Even just eyeballing the charge it was obvious it was low. A couple had barely anything in them.

Thats not a bad theory.

Ive been using a small Frankford Arsenal digital scale. Even just eyeballing the charge it was obvious it was low. A couple had barely anything in them.

low might prove my theory but the variance is more of a concern to me. I see .1-.2 variance in my 550 pretty consistently.

low might prove my theory but the variance is more of a concern to me. I see .1-.2 variance in my 550 pretty consistently.
+/- .1-.2 is what I would typically see as well. These were half charges which is something I hadnt seen. Havent seen anywhere close to that until today.

Another possibility that crossed my mind is when I put the powder rod back in place, I may not have pushed that little white nylon bushing on the bottom back up into place. May have just pulled down, slid it in line with the groove but never snapped it into place. Cant say for sure.

My mind was focused on getting those last 100 or so rounds done so I could finish. Broken e clip threw me off along with bouncing around to 3 different places before I found one. Wish I had never removed the tool head and the die. I know now I couldve pushed up on the decapping rod and slid the new clip into place without having to mess with the whole set up. :(

+/- .1-.2 is what I would typically see as well. These were half charges which is something I hadnt seen. Havent seen anywhere close to that until today.

Another possibility that crossed my mind is when I put the powder rod back in place, I may not have pushed that little white nylon bushing on the bottom back up into place. May have just pulled down, slid it in line with the groove but never snapped it into place. Cant say for sure.

My mind was focused on getting those last 100 or so rounds done so I could finish. Broken e clip threw me off along with bouncing around to 3 different places before I found one. Wish I had never removed the tool head and the die. I know now I couldve pushed up on the decapping rod and slid the new clip into place without having to mess with the whole set up. :(

If I’m not mistaken even if u didn’t put the white bushing from powder rod back in it shouldn’t affect ur powder throw. The case is what activates your powder throw, the rod is there to make sure it pulls the powder bar back closed afterwards.

Don't know about the Dillon powder measure but my auto-disk will throw partial, varying charged if the return chain isn't adjusted correctly

Easiest path to the shame hammer is getting out those last few rounds after being thrown a curve ball - but you do get plenty of time to think about what went wrongn while banging on the inertial puller (my 🔨 of shame)

Don't know about the Dillon powder measure but my auto-disk will throw partial, varying charged if the return chain isn't adjusted correctly

Easiest path to the shame hammer is getting out those last few rounds after being thrown a curve ball - but you do get plenty of time to think about what went wrongn while banging on the inertial puller (my 🔨 of shame)
The one break I caught was before I pulled everything apart, the bin was pretty much full so I dumped the completed rounds into the ammo can. Put everything back together and ran a limited amount before realizing the charges were low. Amount of whacking to be done is...not so bad. [laugh]

Remind me a week or so before the next NBRG match and I’ll bring you some to try. Either lubed or coated.

Will have to see how that date jives with Holbrook Steel Challenge.
I'll tell you what, I'll trade you.
Coated for 18 loaded 255's in .45. w231 w/ win lp.
Have more on order (1000 250's from miss. b. co.) so its not like I'll never see them again.
If you want, bring your 625 cylinder and I'll ream the throats out to add to the trade value.

Back
Top Bottom