What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I've never actually read a relaoding manual. I have one but I think I've opened it less than 5 times. I had a friend walk me through .223 reloading once when I first started, researched some forums, watched some videos on Dillon/Lee sites and off to the races I went.

I've never actually read a relaoding manual. I have one but I think I've opened it less than 5 times. I had a friend walk me through .223 reloading once when I first started, researched some forums, watched some videos on Dillon/Lee sites and off to the races I went.

I've been doing the same, pretty much reading as much as I can online, watching Youtube videos, checking out forums etc. I like the idea of have some manuals to read through. When it comes to buying a book or getting the electronic version, I still prefer the book.

I've been doing the same, pretty much reading as much as I can online, watching Youtube videos, checking out forums etc. I like the idea of have some manuals to read through. When it comes to buying a book or getting the electronic version, I still prefer the book.
reading the load manuals can help. I found Lee's Mondern Reloading 1s t addition to be very informative .

Also Lymans cast handbook is very i formative even though its gets pretty deep into the science of alloys and such.
The good thing is you do not need to read every page right away.

So my father called me last night said he’s sick of buying 308 and 300wsm factory ammo and said order up some dies. I’ll admit I’m overwhelmed with the options. All guns well be shooting are bolt rifles and used for both hunting and target fun. I’m reading mixed reviews about full length vs neck sizing. Micro seating dies, crimp no crimp. Any suggestions? I’d rather buy once cry once versus going through dies and liking the looks of the Redding dies. We aren’t chasing 1/4” moa accuracy but I do like try and produce to the best of my ability. I’m leaning towards a micro seating die so once set up should be easier to dial in different bullets. It also looks like can get a 3die set that’ll include both the neck and full length size die. Any other suggestions I’ve never reloaded any rifle calibers yet but been doing a lot of reading this weekend.
Full length size. National champions all full length size.

You could neck size only and use fire formed brass, until a little bit of dirt wont let you chamber the round.

Watch the entire first video. If the videos dont show, click the links under.

View: https://youtu.be/vaqg4sJvg24

View: https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

Last edited:
I learned to reload by:

1. Going to NES member house and he tought me. (I did a lot of reading before going)

2. Reading forums and watching videos.

I cant sit and read a manual.

I did read one book on casting lead bullets for black powder shooting.

Didnt do much cast 100 7/8 slugs. Ordered 5k small pistol primers and couple pounds of powder. Just heading down the rabbit hole of casting. Several hundred pounds on hand going to start smelting ingots one free week end
Nice! It’s a slippery slope but it’s full of rewards. It’s easy to justify a $100 semi custom mould when you can make tons of bullets for damn near free.

Ordered on 4/9. Delivered today... not too bad. now to find powder and primers..
Primers will be tough. Powder, depends on what you like. I'm sure if you are willing to settle for a different kind just for plinking, you might find some fast.

I'm picky and always seem to end up using the hard to find sh*t like N320. FML. LOL

Full length size. National champions all full length size.

You could neck size only and use fire formed brass, until a little bit of dirt wont let you chamber the round.

Watch the entire first video. If the videos dont show, click the links under.

View: https://youtu.be/vaqg4sJvg24

View: https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

i think you need to pick up on what the guy from berger bullets says.
He says well , kinda sorta then mumbles FL size 2 thou back. So yes FL size but 2-3 thou but its for function.
In the end you do what works.

i think you need to pick up on what the guy from berger bullets says.
He says well , kinda sorta then mumbles FL size 2 thou back. So yes FL size but 2-3 thou but its for function.
In the end you do what works.
Everyone says 2-3 thousands.

Also, no one says neck sizing is bad, even I said in my post that he could neck size. It's just not the best option and that is covered in the videos.

I spent a couple days finding and sorting the crapload of brass I collected over the years.

I just cleaned and prepped a bunch of .243 brass. I might have to do a load of them for fun.

Well I decided to load them up.
I didn't have anything except the brass so off to the LGS. Well he doesn't have much. I wanted 70 gr bullets and 100 gr matchking. I left with one box of 87gr Hornady V-Max. He had those and 110gr Sierra Matchkings. I also wanted H-4350, but ended up with Winchester 760.
So I loaded 20 rounds each of 40.7 grains for 3000 fps, 38.8 for 2900 fps and 36.9 for 2800 fps. Now I have to go test them.

B0LwwuO.jpg

I didn't have anything except the brass so off to the LGS. Well he doesn't have much. I wanted 70 gr bullets and 100 gr matchking. I left with one box of 87gr Hornady V-Max. He had those and 110gr Sierra Matchkings. I also wanted H-4350, but ended up with Winchester 760.

A favorite vendor of mine sent an email out today with this, which is a bit of an indicator of the current situation. I'm sure several of you got the same email.

powder.jpg

Organized. Put cast bullets into bins and sorted stuff out.
Sized the measly 111 - 44 Special cases I have. Maybe tomorrow I’ll load them with Unique.
Also sized a 45 ACP case down in a 44 Special die then turned the little burr off the bottom of the case. It’s something I had seen done on castboolits way back when. A guy had basically make 44 “extra special” or something to that name. It’s a tiny bit shorter than a 44 Russian.
I figured I would fiddle around with it. It has a smaller rim so it probably won’t extract well in anything but it was fun to play with the concept. I remember discussing it and taking some measurements at the time. I figure similar could be done to make a .380 into a 32 long and a .40 into a 38 special etc.
It’s not exact but more of a little test of the theory that was fun to do.
One of my many if the world ever comes to and end and I need to convert whatever brass I have on hand fantasies.

Organized. Put cast bullets into bins and sorted stuff out.
Sized the measly 111 - 44 Special cases I have. Maybe tomorrow I’ll load them with Unique.
Also sized a 45 ACP case down in a 44 Special die then turned the little burr off the bottom of the case. It’s something I had seen done on castboolits way back when. A guy had basically make 44 “extra special” or something to that name. It’s a tiny bit shorter than a 44 Russian.
I figured I would fiddle around with it. It has a smaller rim so it probably won’t extract well in anything but it was fun to play with the concept. I remember discussing it and taking some measurements at the time. I figure similar could be done to make a .380 into a 32 long and a .40 into a 38 special etc.
It’s not exact but more of a little test of the theory that was fun to do.
One of my many if the world ever comes to and end and I need to convert whatever brass I have on hand fantasies.

How far down the case and where is the photo? Oh and what are you putting this in?

How far down the case and where is the photo? Oh and what are you putting this in?
All the way down. It left a tiny little burr about 1/32” wide at the base. I’ve heard of guys using a flat base instead of a shell holder to push the brass into the die. This will size it all the way down and shear off the burr. I have also heard of guys doing it this way where they turn off the burr with a lathe and bit or lathe and file.
This is a family photo of
44 ES
44 Russian
44 SPL
44 MAG

I tried to run them through my 1894 and they won’t extract. I’m sure a little extractor tuning would solve that.
In my 629 they tend slide off the ejector.
This was more for fun and knowledge than anything.
4EBA20C2-23CC-4FBB-977A-FA9390EF24F1.jpeg

Got my shipment notice for

1000 each 45acp 200 grain lswc
1000 each 357 125 grain jsp

Can't wait to rip into that pack of 200 grain swaged lswc and make some bullseye loads for the 1911

Good news is it seems they are shipping. I ordered them 3 weeks ago. Usually I get shipping notice same day

Last edited:
All the way down. It left a tiny little burr about 1/32” wide at the base. I’ve heard of guys using a flat base instead of a shell holder to push the brass into the die. This will size it all the way down and shear off the burr. I have also heard of guys doing it this way where they turn off the burr with a lathe and bit or lathe and file.
This is a family photo of
44 ES
44 Russian
44 SPL
44 MAG

I tried to run them through my 1894 and they won’t extract. I’m sure a little extractor tuning would solve that.
In my 629 they tend slide off the ejector.
This was more for fun and knowledge than anything.
View attachment 352800
thats pretty awesome, especially intrigued by the 40 to 38 extra special. what do you use for load data in such a case, or is it starting low on 44 russian and working up?

thats pretty awesome, especially intrigued by the 40 to 38 extra special. what do you use for load data in such a case, or is it starting low on 44 russian and working up?
I haven’t loaded one yet. I have to measure but I would probably try to run quickloads with 44 Special and a seating depth to replicate what’s there. I would also try to compare the case volume vs 44 special as I would imagine the internal dimensions are different.

Back
Top Bottom