What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Thanks for the info. One of the vendors that will ship, confirmed by a couple who sent me PMs, have the two powders I was looking at in stock, but no primers. I'd prefer to place one order so it all falls under one hazmat fee. I'll give Shooters a call soon to see what they might have in stock too. Like I said, I'm not in a huge rush yet, just trying to slowly get set up. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. One of the vendors that will ship, confirmed by a couple who sent me PMs, have the two powders I was looking at in stock, but no primers. I'd prefer to place one order so it all falls under one hazmat fee. I'll give Shooters a call soon to see what they might have in stock too. Like I said, I'm not in a huge rush yet, just trying to slowly get set up. Thanks.
Yeah don’t hesitate to buy components when they’re available even if you don’t plan on reloading for a year etc.

Yeah don’t hesitate to buy components when they’re available even if you don’t plan on reloading for a year etc.
good advice mr. 1220. many a snowy winter afternoon i was glad i had a healthy selection of components i picked up here and there even when i had slowed down on the reloading. i had primers on hand when no one had any...powder too. if you see a good buy, pick it up. you'll use it eventually.

My Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel showed up today I did some hand polishing before install after reading of some people having them stick. Re-dialed the press in and ran a quick 50 rounds. Once kids go to bed I’m gonna crank out another hundo or so to test tomorrow.
I pulled a few bullets to see if I had any scraping of my coated bullets and they seem to be holding up well with these settings. Hoping for the best.

I found some primers , I didn't really need 10,000. So I called their 800 number to ask if they had smaller quantities, but when I talked to the person at the EStore he said they were going as fast as he could get them in , so I ordered them. Got all my #4 shotgun supplies in this week too. Going to be a productive weekend!!!!

I found some primers , I didn't really need 10,000. So I called their 800 number to ask if they had smaller quantities, but when I talked to the person at the EStore he said they were going as fast as he could get them in , so I ordered them. Got all my #4 shotgun supplies in this week too. Going to be a productive weekend!!!!
Nice! What type of primers?

Yeah, it certainly seems that way; one place has the powder but no primers, another place has some primers but no powder. I may just go ahead and get some powder now and wait for primers I need to become available.
I commented on Shooters Outpost’s latest FB post and heard back from Jim Mcloud regarding primers.
5D80741A-6EE7-49DB-AA98-598F5D915610.jpeg

Seems like powder is somewhat easy to find (depending on what you're looking for) but primers are pretty much wiped out everywhere online.

Yup, primers are getting mighty scarce online.

Going to my local gunshop tomorrow morning for some more SR primers. He usually has a good supply on hand. He closed his shop five weeks ago but will leave stuff on the porch for me to pick up if I call him.

Did another 1000 .223 the past two days. [smile]

Even though it's not one of my higher volume calibers, I realized I was going to have to start reloading 9mm. With all the new gun owners, I really don't see $9 range ammo coming back anytime soon, and I realized that I wanted to take out my Canik and was reluctant to because my stash of 9mm had become a non-renewable resource. I can't have that! Ordered 2K primers (not because I didn't have them but because I could and because the ones I already have are earmarked for 38/357). I could have used Auto Pistol powder, but since I was paying hazmat and shipping already, I threw in a couple of pounds of N340. Ordered 2K 125gr JHPs from another source. The result, I figure, is about 18 cents per round, which is a lot, but not so much as people are paying these days for "cheap" range ammo. When Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ was last in stock at TSUSA, I think it was 26 cents per round.

Even though it's not one of my higher volume calibers, I realized I was going to have to start reloading 9mm. With all the new gun owners, I really don't see $9 range ammo coming back anytime soon, and I realized that I wanted to take out my Canik and was reluctant to because my stash of 9mm had become a non-renewable resource. I can't have that! Ordered 2K primers (not because I didn't have them but because I could and because the ones I already have are earmarked for 38/357). I could have used Auto Pistol powder, but since I was paying hazmat and shipping already, I threw in a couple of pounds of N340. Ordered 2K 125gr JHPs from another source. The result, I figure, is about 18 cents per round, which is a lot, but not so much as people are paying these days for "cheap" range ammo. When Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ was last in stock at TSUSA, I think it was 26 cents per round.
i convinced my friend to pick up some 380 dies amd some bullets. Managed to sneak in a bullet order before things got crazy. Picked up some Hornady hollow points. The same bullet was loaded into the factory ammo he bought for .75 round. When he loads his up it will be at aprox .21 cents.

I've been able to find quite a bit of SPM primers instead of SP, aside from reducing the charge slightly is there any downside to these? I wouldn't think so and a quick Google search says the same but figured I'd ask the braintrust on here.
You’re fine as long as you’re not loading max charge weights.

You’re fine as long as you’re not loading max charge weights.

I can say exactly what happens with 38 Special, 4.2 grains of Winchester 231, and 158 grain LSWC. I accidentally loaded some with CCI 550s instead of 500s, and ran them over the chrono to see what happened. How this applies to anything else is anyone's guess.

S&W 442, 1.875" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 744 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 33
CCI 550 primer Average speed 731 Standard deviation 20 Extreme spread 51

S&W 586, 6" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 812 Standard deviation 12 Extreme spread 32
CCI 550 primer Average speed 795 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 34

I can say exactly what happens with 38 Special, 4.2 grains of Winchester 231, and 158 grain LSWC. I accidentally loaded some with CCI 550s instead of 500s, and ran them over the chrono to see what happened. How this applies to anything else is anyone's guess.

S&W 442, 1.875" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 744 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 33
CCI 550 primer Average speed 731 Standard deviation 20 Extreme spread 51

S&W 586, 6" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 812 Standard deviation 12 Extreme spread 32
CCI 550 primer Average speed 795 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 34
Interesting! I’ve never compared them before. Wonder why it’s magnum primers results in slightly slower velocities.

Interesting! I’ve never compared them before. Wonder why it’s magnum primers results in slightly slower velocities.

Hell if I know! I'm scared to try it in 9mm or 40. I'd probably be okay experimenting with less than full pop loads in 357 with flake powders. Basically I hope to never be in the "warning" section of a reloading manual. :)

Hell if I know! I'm scared to try it in 9mm or 40. I'd probably be okay experimenting with less than full pop loads in 357 with flake powders. Basically I hope to never be in the "warning" section of a reloading manual. :)
Back during the Obama scares lots of guys swapped primers to fit the supply. Rifle primers and pistol included.
There is variation in primer cup height but that was taken into consideration.
Also the primer cup thickness mattered. Guys were running small rifle primers in their pistol ammo. They had to run heavier springs to be able to reliably light them off.
The inverse would messy. Pistol primers with their thinner cups running high pressure loads in 556 could have issues with the primer cups piercing or cratering IIRC.

Back during the Obama scares lots of guys swapped primers to fit the supply. Rifle primers and pistol included.

Barring extreme need, I'd be chicken to run pistol primers in an AR, for fear of setting off a round just letting the bolt fly closed.

When I first started loading 357, I was able to pick up some H110 from The Powderhorn in Hyannis, but couldn't find any small pistol magnum primers in the shops near me. I have some CCI #41 and was just about ready to try those, then thought better of it. Called up Shooting Supply, and they had 550s in stock so I just made the trip there, and browsed around bought some Green Dot and Red Dot, and Winchester #209s, and managed to get out of there before I bought anything else!

There is variation in primer cup height but that was taken into consideration.
Also the primer cup thickness mattered. Guys were running small rifle primers in their pistol ammo. They had to run heavier springs to be able to reliably light them off.
The inverse would messy. Pistol primers with their thinner cups running high pressure loads in 556 could have issues with the primer cups piercing or cratering IIRC.

I would never run pistol primers in rifle rounds unless it was "last ditch effort wartime ammo" being made. I have however been using small rifle primers in pistol ammo for about 25 years. I've never had to go to a heavier spring in any gun and not had any ignition issues.
A month or so ago was the first time I'd bought small pistol primers since the mid nineties.

I took my press apart and mailed it to Mk7 in FL for an overhaul. I bought the Evolution right after they came out and it had a few issues that have since been corrected. Mk7 said send it in and we'll update with all the new parts and tune the rest...at cost to me. Bit of a pain to break it down but I kept the original boxes so packing was easy. Shipping was not cheap on two boxes at 68lbs, but it ships back to me for free and I'm getting another year warranty. So, not bad and since the range is closed I'm okay with not having a press.

I added two new components for my reloading.

I grabbed a little Forster Brothers case trimmer for short money from eBay and I also picked up an RCBS Precision Mic .223.

I just cleaned up the case trimmer but got a little heavy handed with the wire brush. Cleaned it all up and added a little grease and lube. B63BA716-44B4-40DA-BFCF-23A03F23D2A7.jpeg D33566F6-66BA-4A93-9C5B-2DCF7A175B05.jpeg 798863D0-0DB0-4F2A-ABA4-2FFE45A25094.jpeg

I would never run pistol primers in rifle rounds unless it was "last ditch effort wartime ammo" being made. I have however been using small rifle primers in pistol ammo for about 25 years. I've never had to go to a heavier spring in any gun and not had any ignition issues.
A month or so ago was the first time I'd bought small pistol primers since the mid nineties.
Agreed on the pistol primer in a rifle cartridge.
Most of the reports I read were guys running super light springs in comp guns that only lit off federals.

Tumbling batches of the 30-06 450ct so i can then form die it into 8mm mauser and then cut to close to 8mm.

My new case trimmer arrives monday
258707.jpg

I almost bought the WFT 2 in 8mm but then i realized it is a 1/2 chuck. In addition you need to rig the drill up.
With the lyman you get a ton of caliber collets for free. I highly doubt i will be doing other than 8mm. It is a self sustained machine.

Back
Top Bottom