What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I will try this and yes I do have a puller. I assume you are suggesting that the crimp die is not needed. I have considered that but have been using it out of habit with 9mm. I will give it a try on my next batch.
I might have missed it but how did you end up on .357” did you slug the bore? I’ve had issues with a 40 in the past that needed a .402 but it was a really short throat and the bullets needed to be seated way deep to work out.

Made a bunch of 148 grain HBWC. One of my favorite target loads. I bought 1000 Hornady 148 HBWC swaged bullets from a small shop in Templeton about twenty years ago. Richie's, I think it was called. He was getting rid of a bunch of reloading components and I paid pennies on the dollar. Those Hornady swaged bullets are a pleasure to load. No sticky lube, just a light dusty powder kind of stuff. Not sure exactly what is, but they load nice and don't gum things up.
Today I finally got around to smelting some wheel weights into muffin tin ingots. I've had three 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights taking up space for years.
It took some extra heat to keep the pot hot with the friggin wind today, but I eventually got one bucket done.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve read of people having issues with the lee FCD and lead bullets as it was swaging the boolits and undersizing them. When your Bullet’s aren’t passing the plunk test is it because they aren’t crimped enough or do you think it’s bulging the case? I’m new but trying to understand if your trying to combat the swaging and adjusting your die to compensate for it and therefore it’s not giving you enough crimp.
Bell a sized case then adjust your crimp until it just drops into your gauge.
Seat a bullet, crimp and retest - you should be within +/- 1/2 turn of gauging.
Much harder to do this if you seat and crimp in one step - you need to have couple bullets seated before starting to crimp.

The bullet feeder is another guy's design (AmmoMike83) , the flip tray was done by another guy on YouTube, I made my own bullet disk because I wanted to see if I could get more nose down bullets.

I just glued together a few different parts that I thought were the best ideas with a few changes to make them fit

BTW - the 45 bullet disk feeds 38/357 mag cases perfect. Going to print another feeder body and design tray's for 45 and 9mm/380 feeding. Pretty sure I can mod the flip tray to feed 223 cases

I received some oversized coated lead 9mm to try out. I’ve also got the double alpha powder funnel showing up Friday so hopefully I’ll be able to get some rounds made and try to decrease some leading I’m finding. I’m gonna try both sizes with new expanded funnel as well as. Little less crimp to see if it cleans it up any.

My large Lyman tumbler just gave up the ghost. The motor is shot. I opened it up and the bushings are toast. Ordered two of the Franklin Arsenal tumblers from Amazon to give them a whirl.

I have about 40,000 .223 and 20,000 9mm cases already tumbled, so I think its OK to do some experimentation on brands for now.

I'm missing how the nose down bullets are prevented from going down the chute.

Also, that is awesome.
Im gonna guess that part thats held in place with the phillips screw has the profile of a right-side-up bullet milled into it so an upside down one wont fit and will pass on by

My large Lyman tumbler just gave up the ghost. The motor is shot. I opened it up and the bushings are toast. Ordered two of the Franklin Arsenal tumblers from Amazon to give them a whirl.

I have about 40,000 .223 and 20,000 9mm cases already tumbled, so I think its OK to do some experimentation on brands for now.
There bunch of brass in classified if your running low [rofl][rofl][rofl]

There bunch of brass in classified if your running low [rofl][rofl][rofl]

I was a brass rat for a few years when at NES shoots or training events. I take at least one multi-day training course each year. Usually these events are with 10-15 people shooting 800-2000 rounds per person. Most don't collect brass. Its pretty easy to fill bins and bins of 223 and 9mm by just taking 5-10min to pick some up at the end of each day.

Is that the VV replacement?

Urban legend is that much like snake oil from the past....it'll cure what ails ya ;-)

Never actually saw any in the wild...and I was looking pretty hard for a while there. Still plenty of VV N320, so that's what i'm going to keep using until it runs out.

How long does it take to print something like that.
How much do you need to invest to make good 3D parts.
I think of all the time collectively over years scrounging for scraps , parts and what not that 3D printing could have paid for itself in short time

Last edited:
Urban legend is that much like snake oil from the past....it'll cure what ails ya ;-)

Never actually saw any in the wild...and I was looking pretty hard for a while there. Still plenty of VV N320, so that's what i'm going to keep using until it runs out.

Amen to that. If the cost was half I'd try it, but what works, works.

@84ta406 . I’m interested in some sport pistol. is this a group buy?
I've been told it's been out of stock for two months with no idea of when they're getting anything in.
The go-to reloading vendor has 4 pounders in stock FYI - thanks to the tip from TrashcanDan.
They have a lot of popular powders back in stock actually. Especially Alliant powders.

How long does it take to print something like that.
How much do you need to invest to make good 3D parts.
I think of all the time collectively over years scrounging for scraps , parts and what not that 3D printing could have wliminated
3d printing is slow - the main body is like a full day, the bullet plates take almost 8 hours. But the printer runs on its own so once you start it, you just check back once in a while to check on it.

$200 will get you a decent printer - I have a Creality Ender 3 with no real issues

Filament is about $20 for a kilo - less if you don't care about color and just grab whatever is on sale

Back
Top Bottom