What did you do in the reloading room recently?

So

Light loads and dead space.
I'll use .38 spl as an example because I don't have to rely on recoil to operate a slide.
So the charge of Bullseye I'm using for 160's seems to also be a super light load for a 90 and 105 gr, which leads me to believe there could be quite a bit of dead space.

From what I've read, using a cardboard wad or cotton ball will take up some of that deadspace and keep the gunpowder down towwrds the primer without creating this huge pressure spike but still push the bullet down the barrel.
Looking at the velocity, I could probably throw them just as fast.

So for taking up deadspace, or for making some kind of wad, has anyone ever used for a filler..........

Stripper glitter
I load 2.8 grains bullseye with lead round nose projos in 38 special all the time. Never had any reason to think i needed to fill the space. Are you having issues with light 38 loads?

No they are not. Look at the rim thickness. By the photo, the two on the right are clearly thicker than the one on the left.

Whether it matters in the gun.....I don't know.
That is a good observation. I meant the total headspace. There are several threads on this conversion and people say the difference at the rim doesn't affect anything. Screenshot_20240506_190128_Hornady Reloading.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506_185426_Hornady Reloading.jpg
    Screenshot_20240506_185426_Hornady Reloading.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 2
38extra, if purchasing a six cavity 200 gr swc mold, who would you buy it from
No contest.

Stick with brass. I don’t think they make a 6 banger 45 though.

@Jay77 will tell you. Lee moulds are cool and all but once you buy one of these you’ll never look back.
With the insane price increases on reloading tools Lee 6 cavity are hardly worth it anymore. You’re better off with the 4 banger from MP. You will make more good bullets faster with the MP 4 cavity.

Specifically this one. Assuming you’re talking 45

A Lee will run you about $50 right now. Not a good enough savings to buy Lee. MP is like cheating the bullets are so consistent and the mould give zero trouble.

Last edited:
No contest.

@Jay77 will tell you. Lee moulds are cool and all but once you buy one of these you’ll never look back.
With the insane price increases on reloading tools Lee 6 cavity are hardly worth it anymore. You’re better off with the 4 banger from MP. You will make more good bullets faster with the MP 4 cavity.

A Lee will run you about $50 right now. Not a good enough savings to buy Lee. MP is like cheating the bullets are so consistent and the mould give zero trouble.
Exactly my friend

No contest.

MP brass molds are a thing of beauty and once you start to use them you will never look back. My SR1911 loves the 200 SWC so I have the Lee 2 and 6 cavity version of the mold along with the MP version with the lube groove and the HP version without the lube groove.

I entered the temple of doom (my reloading area) after a 1.5 year absence and made a bunch of IDPA CCP loads. The 650 awoke from slumber and did not attack me. 3.3 N320, 125gr BB trunc cone, 1.141", 110PF out of a 3.9" P320. When I pair this with a modified TXG carry, the other 6 guys who still shoot CCP will tremble!

Cast Bullet seminar is coming up!!

Time to pour hot lead into bullet molds like a man!!

I loaded 30 rounds for the old 300 Savage to test. 41 grains of LEVERevolution under 150 grain Hornady SST @ 2.585. Although there is no published data for this, there was a nice write-up on a tale of two thirties. I found other threads about people who used it successfully as well. I should be able to work up to 43 grains.

There is data from Hornady for 6.5 Creedmoor with 120 grain projectiles so I'll be trying it for that soon.

20240530_204032.jpg 20240530_184716.jpg

I loaded 30 rounds for the old 300 Savage to test. 41 grains of LEVERevolution under 150 grain Hornady SST @ 2.585. Although there is no published data for this, there was a nice write-up on a tale of two thirties. I found other threads about people who used it successfully as well. I should be able to work up to 43 grains.

There is data from Hornady for 6.5 Creedmoor with 120 grain projectiles so I'll be trying it for that soon.

View attachment 884832View attachment 884833
I love your bullet holder… I’m going to have to make some…

Is that 300 Savage brass or is it made from something else? I've made it from 308 and 6.5. The 308 Winchester requires more trimming but no fireforming. The 6.5 Creedmoor supposedly requires fireforming but I haven't tried any yet. I don't have a 300, It's for someone else's rifle. I don't know if I'll ever have to do this cause he just found 2000 rounds at 4 Seasons.

Is that 300 Savage brass or is it made from something else? I've made it from 308 and 6.5. The 308 Winchester requires more trimming but no fireforming. The 6.5 Creedmoor supposedly requires fireforming but I haven't tried any yet. I don't have a 300, It's for someone else's rifle. I don't know if I'll ever have to do this cause he just found 2000 rounds at 4 Seasons.
2k rounds of 300 savage?! Hot damn. That’s a shit ton of ammo for deer hunting 😂

How much was that??

Some are 300 Savage and I converted 50 of the 308. It should keep me going for a while. I'm keeping my eyes open for some new 300 brass but they only make it once in a while.
I found some once fired 300 brass on the Discord reloading server. Lots of people and companies buying/selling/trading components there. Got a good deal on the brass too. I think it was like 15 or 20 cents a case last year

38 spec, what mold do you suggest for 38 spec 148 wadcutter
I love this one.

Loaded with the hollow base forward it makes a mean expanding bullet.

Unlike swaged hollow base these have a much thicker base so they won’t blow out with hotter loads. You can swap the pins to load them as a solid base if you wanna get real spicy too.

Back
Top Bottom