What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I can say exactly what happens with 38 Special, 4.2 grains of Winchester 231, and 158 grain LSWC. I accidentally loaded some with CCI 550s instead of 500s, and ran them over the chrono to see what happened. How this applies to anything else is anyone's guess.

S&W 442, 1.875" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 744 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 33
CCI 550 primer Average speed 731 Standard deviation 20 Extreme spread 51

S&W 586, 6" barrel:
CCI 500 primer Average speed 812 Standard deviation 12 Extreme spread 32
CCI 550 primer Average speed 795 Standard deviation 13 Extreme spread 34

I'm assuming same day. Just spitballing, but maybe the magnum primer "popped the cork", i.e. moved the bullet slightly and sooner in the burn sequence, effectively increasing case capacity slightly for the powder burn. Or, perhaps there is some way that a magnum primer versus standard could have some interplay with position sensitivity with a non-case-filling powder.

Anyway, I once compared WSP's to Federal SPM's in 357 magnum. It's just what I had. There was an average increase of 0.7% with the magnum primers, which in those loads meant only about 0.4 standard deviations. I was unimpressed.

Wow that’s awesome. So the big cost is software right? I’m sure CAD isn’t cheap.
I'm not very proud of this, but f*ck it. A year ago, I applied for a Masters through my job. I got accepted. I then moved to a new position at work that meant I was a lot busier and didnt have time for classes so postponed it, but I already had a student ID.

I wanted to learn how to use CAD again, the last time I used CAD was for an architectural CAD class years ago, but everything was too expensive, until I realized students could get it for free.

I used that student ID to get some nice CAD software for free for 3 years. The license is expensive, I need to go back and look, but I think it is over $1K/year.

So ... you could totally do that and it would cost you the application fee, usually $150-200.

If you know someone in college, you could use their student ID.

I'm not very proud of this, but f*ck it. A year ago, I applied for a Masters through my job. I got accepted. I then moved to a new position at work that meant I was a lot busier and didnt have time for classes so postponed it, but I already had a student ID.

I wanted to learn how to use CAD again, the last time I used CAD was for an architectural CAD class years ago, but everything was too expensive, until I realized students could get it for free.

I used that student ID to get some nice CAD software for free for 3 years. The license is expensive, I need to go back and look, but I think it is over $1K/year.

So ... you could totally do that and it would cost you the application fee, usually $150-200.

If you know someone in college, you could use their student ID.

'Real' CAD can be in the range of $5,000 to $10,000 for the initial license plus a $1500ish(?) annual maintenance. Add-ons, FEA etc. can add thousands to that number. It's huge money to get professional-grade software.

Back during the Obama scares lots of guys swapped primers to fit the supply. Rifle primers and pistol included.
There is variation in primer cup height but that was taken into consideration.
Also the primer cup thickness mattered. Guys were running small rifle primers in their pistol ammo. They had to run heavier springs to be able to reliably light them off.
The inverse would messy. Pistol primers with their thinner cups running high pressure loads in 556 could have issues with the primer cups piercing or cratering IIRC.
I have some Rem 6 1/2 sm rifle primers. Kept blowing them on 223. I found they are for like 22 Hornet. I was wondering if they would be suitable for use as sm pistol?

Back during the Obama scares lots of guys swapped primers to fit the supply. Rifle primers and pistol included.
There is variation in primer cup height but that was taken into consideration.
Also the primer cup thickness mattered. Guys were running small rifle primers in their pistol ammo. They had to run heavier springs to be able to reliably light them off.
The inverse would messy. Pistol primers with their thinner cups running high pressure loads in 556 could have issues with the primer cups piercing or cratering IIRC.
This is interesting. Do you think that would work with 9mm?

I'm afraid of how it could affect pressure.

Turned 265 or so pounds of range scrap and another 150 or so pounds of a mix of Linotype/pewter/shot into 300# of clean ingots.
Half of it is basically COWW with a bit more tin and the other half is basically a 50/50 mix of that and pure lead.
I use the 50/50 mix more than anything. The straight COWW I use for 300 blackout and 9mm which is low of my list of use.

That was my concern. I don't know if there is a difference in compound or if its just the thickness of the cup.
No difference in compound. I believe there’s just a little more of it. I could be wrong through.
I believe @EddieCoyle did a study on brisance at one point.
Either way I read it somewhere and I remember the results being very hard to quantify and also very erratic.

Well woke up with a super sore arm from using the trim/form die on 450 30-06 cases lol. Next up today, using the mini bench cut off saw to get the cases prepped for the trimmer that arrives tomorrow.
I see you got the bulk done but when you decide to convert them next time you can pre cut then form them. You might get good at it and just need a quick pass with a file over the trim/form die.

ran another hundred rounds of some new 125grn brazos bullets to test out. With the profile I had to adjust my coal a bit to get them to plunk my shortest chamber. Ill test these with the 125gr acme asap to compare. The brazos are .001 larger diameter.

ran another hundred rounds of some new 125grn brazos bullets to test out. With the profile I had to adjust my coal a bit to get them to plunk my shortest chamber. Ill test these with the 125gr acme asap to compare. The brazos are .001 larger diameter.
I picked up the same Brazos 125gr, haven't had a chance to shoot any yet but they seem to be sized very consistently. I got an email from the president of Brazos not that long ago asking for input on profiles and I mentioned .45 230gr with no lube grooves and sure as shit I checked the site today and they're taking orders for it! Now that's service!

That was my concern. I don't know if there is a difference in compound or if its just the thickness of the cup.
It all depends on the primer. They're all over the map. Some have more (or more energetic) compound, all have a thicker cup.

The only "danger" in using a steady diet of SR primers in a pistol (besides light-strikes) is that the pressure might not be significant enough to fully obdurate and seal the primer in the cup, allowing some gas to escape, which can cause breech face erosion.

1587946936500.png

Last edited:
Based on the discussion of various primers, I was googling around for info and ran across this. Might come in handy as a reference for someone. Has some info on primer cup thicknesses.

Primers And Pressure
Great read. Thanks. It answered the question. Rem 6 1/2 works in 9mm.

So my father called me last night said he’s sick of buying 308 and 300wsm factory ammo and said order up some dies. I’ll admit I’m overwhelmed with the options. All guns well be shooting are bolt rifles and used for both hunting and target fun. I’m reading mixed reviews about full length vs neck sizing. Micro seating dies, crimp no crimp. Any suggestions? I’d rather buy once cry once versus going through dies and liking the looks of the Redding dies. We aren’t chasing 1/4” moa accuracy but I do like try and produce to the best of my ability. I’m leaning towards a micro seating die so once set up should be easier to dial in different bullets. It also looks like can get a 3die set that’ll include both the neck and full length size die. Any other suggestions I’ve never reloaded any rifle calibers yet but been doing a lot of reading this weekend.

loaded a few rounds for the .22 Hornet. A Winchester 46 grain hp and 10.8 grains of Lil Gun was well below the max. of 11.7 but caused very difficult extraction. Extraction with the same bullet and 9.5 grains was easy. I'll try 10 and 10.5 and then decide if I need to look for a new powder or not.

So my father called me last night said he’s sick of buying 308 and 300wsm factory ammo and said order up some dies. I’ll admit I’m overwhelmed with the options. All guns well be shooting are bolt rifles and used for both hunting and target fun. I’m reading mixed reviews about full length vs neck sizing. Micro seating dies, crimp no crimp. Any suggestions? I’d rather buy once cry once versus going through dies and liking the looks of the Redding dies. We aren’t chasing 1/4” moa accuracy but I do like try and produce to the best of my ability. I’m leaning towards a micro seating die so once set up should be easier to dial in different bullets. It also looks like can get a 3die set that’ll include both the neck and full length size die. Any other suggestions I’ve never reloaded any rifle calibers yet but been doing a lot of reading this weekend.
For the most part you will be loading to the limitations of the magazine length for ammo correct?
So fancy competition dies are mot needed BUT if you like nice stuff why not.
Neck size vs FL size. If your loading for multiple rifles FL size. Dedicate brass to one rifle neck sizing is a option. Since your not chasing “accuracy” down to .25 moa neck sizing for a particular rifle just extends case life...IMHO
For good ammo I find mo issues with the Lee 4 die sets
Almost all my die sets I picking up used for they were given to me is some good value if you can pick them up used at the right price I have dissects from Lee hornady Reading and CDH I don’t know it’s something like that they’re all good I have no problem with any of them Reading seems to have some of the best finishing on their Die sets

Last edited:
For the most part you will be loading to the limitations of the magazine length for ammo correct?
So fancy competition dies are mot needed BUT if you like nice stuff why not.
Neck size vs FL size. If your loading for multiple rifles FL size. Dedicate brass to one rifle neck sizing is a option. Since your not chasing “accuracy” down to .25 moa neck sizing for a particular rifle just extends case life...IMHO
For good ammo I find mo issues with the Lee 4 die sets

yes Id say load to magazine Length But wouldn’t the micro seat die be beneficial ifid want to load say 2 or 3 different bullet types for different purposes. I like the idea of neck sizing and preserving brass if we kept our brass separated by rifle would be a good idea. I’ve read a bunch of people recommend the full length size come hunting cartridges for reliability.appreciate the insight mac.

Waiting on the weather to cooperate so i can use my mini cut off saw. Trimmer arrived and is pretty nice. Don't know when i will be able to use it with this weather.

As far as FL sizing vs neck, if i have the time i will FL size. If i am at the range and bring my wack a mole lee loader set, i neck size:)

yes Id say load to magazine Length But wouldn’t the micro seat die be beneficial ifid want to load say 2 or 3 different bullet types for different purposes. I like the idea of neck sizing and preserving brass if we kept our brass separated by rifle would be a good idea. I’ve read a bunch of people recommend the full length size come hunting cartridges for reliability.appreciate the insight mac.
If money was not a issue I would probably have Redding comp dies and Comp case holders for everything.
For 100% reliability FL size to factory specs sure BUT you can adjust your dies or use best judgmentmemt for hunting ammo.
The problem usually lies when one cartridge loaded to spec for one rifle finds its way into another batch of the same cal.
The comp dies are nice , They offer more refined adjustment too .
I have dummy rounds made up of different bullet profiles and seating depths so when it comes time to load those I simply put the dummy cart. In the press and adjust the seating die until contacts.
As for crimping I generally don’t crimp rifle but for whatever reason mostly because it’s there I will crimp bullets that have a cannelure and it falls on the case mouth. I do crimp cast loads for rifle.

Last edited:
Added 5k Winchester small rifle primers to the inventory from my local gun shop this morning, $175.00 off the back porch. [smile] He's been closed shop for several weeks but will do deals for regular customers if they call ahead. Now I have enough to do all my brass( hopefully).

The Hornady bullet length gauge will do that for you. Load up dummy rounds with specific bullets to the lengths you like so you can change your seating easily. Mark the info on the cases with a sharpie so you will know what they are.
To extend case life you need to anneal the brass whether neck size of FL size.

Back
Top Bottom