• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

All the way down. It left a tiny little burr about 1/32” wide at the base. I’ve heard of guys using a flat base instead of a shell holder to push the brass into the die. This will size it all the way down and shear off the burr. I have also heard of guys doing it this way where they turn off the burr with a lathe and bit or lathe and file.
This is a family photo of
44 ES
44 Russian
44 SPL
44 MAG

I tried to run them through my 1894 and they won’t extract. I’m sure a little extractor tuning would solve that.
In my 629 they tend slide off the ejector.
This was more for fun and knowledge than anything.
View attachment 352800
Looks like it should be one of those family stickers. Needs a .22 for the baby and one coated pink for the mom.

I’m not following this please explain.
Full length size for the most part means back to minimum specs. These guys are not setting there dies up to set the cases back to minimum. They even use the S die which i think came out of the F class world? Also no one mentions if they are seating there bullets "loose" in the necks and are kissing the bullets into the lands.

I have cast from clean lead. But I have an ever growing pile of scrap lead. Brother dropped off 70lbs yesterday throw in the pile and realized the pile is getting large probably 500lbs or so mostly pure lead. Was going to start making bricks but the pot cracked on the first run. Always used a frying pan but cant find it. Think the kids tossed it in the river

I have cast from clean lead. But I have an ever growing pile of scrap lead. Brother dropped off 70lbs yesterday throw in the pile and realized the pile is getting large probably 500lbs or so mostly pure lead. Was going to start making bricks but the pot cracked on the first run. Always used a frying pan but cant find it. Think the kids tossed it in the river
Get an old propane take and cut it half. They work great!

Finished up 1k of Zero 185jhp for the 1911. Not shooting as much now, so it'll probably last a while.

Just an update to a post I made over a year ago. So, not only did I make 1k on 9/1/18 , but also made another 500 on 12/8/18 . I've been out of 45 for a few months now. Next time, I guess I'll reload 5k instead.

I had been having lots of trouble with my 550 primer bar binding on the downstroke and not serving up a new primer. Out of frustration I bought one of these and it's smooth as butter now. The parts seem very robust and nicely machined, with a thoughtful instruction/tips sheet. Anyone else using it? It's $30 and the dude shipped same-day.

Amazon product ASIN B01L9Q2TX4View: https://www.amazon.com/JW-Systems-Dillon-Primer-Bearing/dp/B01L9Q2TX4
impossible! Dillons do not need any upgrades!

Ouch - did you heat cycle it first?
Cheap cast iron is, well, cheap and needs to be stress relieved before taking it up to melt temps (and with poor castings even cycling won't help)

Yup cracked it. Should have ran a torch over it. But as soon as I lit it it popped only made it to 147°f might cut a propane tank was thinking that before got lazy and bought the cast iron one instead

The .50 Beowulf reloading stuff showed up today so I loaded 10 each with 300, 335 and 350 grain all with magnum pistol primers and the starting load of Lil Gun. All brass was once fired. I didn't realize that even though this is a rifle round, it uses pistol primers. I saw the error of my ways when a magnum rifle primer was too tall to seat deeply enough.

Yup cracked it. Should have ran a torch over it. But as soon as I lit it it popped only made it to 147°f might cut a propane tank was thinking that before got lazy and bought the cast iron one instead
If you haven't done it before, a sawzall with bi-metal blade did better than a cutoff wheel. Good luck and be safe

Got bored - have one magazine for my 380EZ that needed deburring around the mag catch slot.
Disassembled the mag and filed the burr
Took a good look at the follower and thought - I can fit another round in there
New follower seems to work perfectly - won't know until I can put some rounds through the mag
Unfortunately there isn't enough length in the spring to add a tenth round

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_164547114.jpg
    IMG_20200501_164547114.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200501_164628422.jpg
    IMG_20200501_164628422.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200501_162454049.jpg
    IMG_20200501_162454049.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200501_162409192.jpg
    IMG_20200501_162409192.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 5
If you haven't done it before, a sawzall with bi-metal blade did better than a cutoff wheel. Good luck and be safe
Thanks for the heads up. I have torched the in the past for fire pits to make mooring balls out of larger ones. Even after years of cutting tanks I still flinch.

I got the new Frankford bowls today. They seem well constructed for the price. $50 each on Amazon. Have some brass running now.

Started putting up a new shelf and reorganizing my reloading and ammo shelves. What a bear. Also I have a lot of 50bmg stuff. I think enough to do about 1k rounds. I really need to buy a 50bmg rifle.....

i noticed a crack in my pot last year. So i will be searching out a replacement. I picked mine up used from a guy who specializes in old chimney restoration and asked him for any cast Iron no longer safe for cooking.
Got the pot and muffin pan. i always check a few junk shops for casting stuff. You need to ask for the junk and catch them before they dump it. Scored some nice comercial soup laddles that hold up!

Back
Top Bottom