• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

First put a hawk heater on it burn the fumes off. Pulled the valve bar thru top of tank stand on it wrench it off. Filled it with water twice thru it on the band saw. Do to pushing blade guides out didn't get a straight cut.View attachment 353720
Close enough. The lead won’t know if it’s straight or not.

Went thru my scrap found out 95% is pure lead which leads me to how to bring the hardness up with no scrap pewter on hand. I can mix some in with the higher antimony stuff but not much maybe 20lbs. Second shot is wheel weights

Attachments

• 20200503_120803.jpg
    20200503_120803.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200503_120735.jpg
    20200503_120735.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 3
Finished dropping powder. Seating and crimping for about 110 44 specials.
messed with a Lyman 310 set for 45 Colt. Alas it seems to be out of spec. It don’t size the case down as far as I imagined it would which isn’t a huge deal. DA seating die however doesn’t apply a crimp. The die body is too long. I might just have to grind it down.

Time for some research.

Went thru my scrap found out 95% is pure lead which leads me to how to bring the hardness up with no scrap pewter on hand. I can mix some in with the higher antimony stuff but not much maybe 20lbs. Second shot is wheel weights
Well that’s a nice too to have!
Do you have any solder hanging around? It doesn’t take much to get the tin where you need it.

Went thru my scrap lead and found 95% is pure lead. Question is how to harden in with no scrap pewter on hand. I can mix some with higher antimony stuff I have that will gain me 30 lbs. Second one is just a shot of wheel weight shot a bunch and they are 3% to 4% antimony.

Attachments

• 20200503_120803.jpg
    20200503_120803.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200503_120735.jpg
    20200503_120735.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 3
You can go online and look up recipes for #2 alloy. The usual ingredients are lead, wheel weights and lino type. I have all 3 and will trade you wheel weights and/or lino type for plain lead. My son uses it to cast for his muzzle loaders. You'll have to meet me at HSC because this stuff is too heavy to ship.

I’ve looked at my bench so many times recently but can’t bring myself to load or prep any more until I can get back to the range. This is the longest I’ve gone without shooting since I got my LTC at 21.

Ok scratch that. I got it now. The first is high antimony. Stuff you have right?
The second is wheel weight.
Do you have the alloy calculator spreadsheet?

You can add a custom alloy for your high antimony lead and then change tour weights around to figure out what ratio you need to mix to make a proper alloy.

Attachments

• Alloy Calculator .xlsx
    138 KB · Views: 2
30 Herrett 145 gr. cast.jpg 30 Herrett 145 gr. cast
Herrett with figured wood.jpg 30 Herrett on TC Contender (homemade furniture)
forearm from spalted sycamore and buttstock from burly maple. 10" Bbl wearing a 7" vented extension (threaded and pinned) Tasco pronghorn 1-5X scope
I'm just a contender nut who enjoys shaping wood to suit my needs.
I like loading the wildcats that the contender barrels come in. TCU's, Herretts, JDJ's and custom AI's.
I like shooting them mostly.

Last edited:
Ok scratch that. I got it now. The first is high antimony. Stuff you have right?
The second is wheel weight.
Do you have the alloy calculator spreadsheet?

You can add a custom alloy for your high antimony lead and then change tour weights around to figure out what ratio you need to mix to make a proper alloy.
No spreadsheets. Just getting into the alloy thing always just cast dive weights, sinkers, and slugs. Figure why not cast bullets for spreadsheets that's some more learning for me more hand notes not so computer savvy more the hold my beer kind of guy.

No spreadsheets. Just getting into the alloy thing always just cast dive weights, sinkers, and slugs. Figure why not cast bullets for spreadsheets that's some more learning for me more hand notes not so computer savvy more the hold my beer kind of guy.
The spreadsheet I posted will answer all your questions. It’s a priceless tool.

The spreadsheet I posted will answer all your questions. It’s a priceless tool.
I printed it out. Thanks will have to start saving Babbitt instead of scraping it never thought of it before. Will have to go to one of the casting classes in the future. I need to find a way to bring the several hundred pounds of pure to non magnum pistol range

Went thru my scrap lead and found 95% is pure lead. Question is how to harden in with no scrap pewter on hand. I can mix some with higher antimony stuff I have that will gain me 30 lbs. Second one is just a shot of wheel weight shot a bunch and they are 3% to 4% antimony.
Wait your cheating, you cant use themtheres science tools!

I printed it out. Thanks will have to start saving Babbitt instead of scraping it never thought of it before. Will have to go to one of the casting classes in the future. I need to find a way to bring the several hundred pounds of pure to non magnum pistol range
How many pounds of pure do you have and what alloy are you looking to turn it into?
also where are you located?

View attachment 353981 30 Herrett 145 gr. cast
View attachment 353982 30 Herrett on TC Contender (homemade furniture)
forearm from spalted sycamore and buttstock from burly maple. 10" Bbl wearing a 7" vented extension (threaded and pinned) Tasco pronghorn 1-5X scope
I'm just a contender nut who enjoys shaping wood to suit my needs.
I like loading the wildcats that the contender barrels come in. TCU's, Herretts, JDJ's and custom AI's.
I like shooting them mostly.
Very cool!

@greencobra don’t you shoot this caliber?

Probably 400lbs located in saugus. Bit of a ride for you. I'll start with the ww and make a blend with the other till I find something to blend with it. Was looking to make bricks to clean up
You probably need a good 10# or so of pewter to get it done. Not a ton.
Castboolits has some good deals on the swapping and selling section.

I loaded N320 with 160gr 9mm today. I found it impossible to find a load. My reloading manual, has nothing. VV website, nothing for 160gr. I had to read reviews on the Bayou website and the Enos forum. I'm scared.

I will find out how they shoot next weekend.

20200503_152901.jpg

Back
Top Bottom