• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

For 223 and 30/06, I use trim die on the 650. For 308 I have a tri-way on a 3400rpm big motor. Haven't used that in a while but i think I used orange texture Nitrile gloves and still have all of my fingers. I bought a CH4d trim die for 30 Carbine and IIRC it worked okay. I have the Lee trim dies for all my calibers and they work ok for small batch.

Never wear gloves around moving machine parts.

i can grab the trimmer with the drill press on and stop it (the belt has some play in it and its a cheap harbor freight drill press). I've had it stop the drill press before when ive gotten too aggressive trying to trim 308 too fast or if it catches a burr. I'm not worried about this benchtop drill press unless its got a sharp spinny thingy chucked

Have to admit getting wrapped around 30/06 cases using primer pocket uniformer on a corded drill couple times with nitrile or latex gloves. Scare ya but no damage 😬

It could still twist a finger out of joint and you could lose correct use of it short or long term. No machine shoukd be used where your digits or hand has the potential to have to use force against the rotation of a shaft. Thats why even wood lathes have a tool rest that transfers the force of the tool to a stationary platform. Machine lathes have a tool holder so it's hands free.

i can grab the trimmer with the drill press on and stop it (the belt has some play in it and its a cheap harbor freight drill press). I've had it stop the drill press before when ive gotten too aggressive trying to trim 308 too fast or if it catches a burr. I'm not worried about this benchtop drill press unless its got a sharp spinny thingy chucked

Murphy's waiting patiently.

Been thinking about one of those for a long time. I think my pile of .223/5.56 brass( about 8-9k) now justifies buying one.

I don't like reloading .223 as it is and the case prep really makes it tedious.

Waiting for UPS today to drop off some 115gr 9mm FMJ bullets. It's raining again and not going anywhere for another month so might as well wear out the press.
Ship it to a brass processor. That’s what I did and will be doing going forward. I just don’t have the patience anymore.

Ship it to a brass processor. That’s what I did and will be doing going forward. I just don’t have the patience anymore.

Care to share who you use for case prep? I tried to purchase some pre-prepped cases this week and I guess the guys equipment broke and he couldn't deliver until he gets a new part. I HAVE brass, but just don't have the time to process it all (still working, fortunately/unfortunately).

Does the processor chamfer and deburr?
Yup.
Edit: apparently he doesn’t but I sent him brass and it wasn’t a problem loading 55 gr FMJs. I think he deburs but not chamfer? They fed and shot fine in my AR
Care to share who you use for case prep? I tried to purchase some pre-prepped cases this week and I guess the guys equipment broke and he couldn't deliver until he gets a new part. I HAVE brass, but just don't have the time to process it all (still working, fortunately/unfortunately).

Looks like he’s not accepting new orders until April 3 because he’s so busy

Last edited:

If you have to do that though, at that point isn't it cutting into the bottom line? Then again for high accuracy rifle ammo you'll still be ahead, but for general blasting, practice, etc, are you still ahead vs commercial? Of course right now the market sucks, so you're still probably ahead....

-Mike

If you have to do that though, at that point isn't it cutting into the bottom line? Then again for high accuracy rifle ammo you'll still be ahead, but for general blasting, practice, etc, are you still ahead vs commercial? Of course right now the market sucks, so you're still probably ahead....

-Mike
Yeah the first loading I’m not saving a whole lot. Maybe a few pennies per round - when compared to normal Wolf Gold prices. 27-28 cents. Now it’s huge.
But after that it’s a better savings since you don’t trim every loading and of course you only remove the primer pocket crimp once.

Can you set the trim length? There's not much info on their website, and the couple of youtube videos I watched didn't mention it. Also, how is the trimmed edge? That is, does it leave a burr that needs to be removed? You certainly can't beat the price!
You can adjust the trim length with a set screw. You still will need to chamfer and deburr but it isn't a lot. For what I do on a Lee Turret, with range pickup brass, for plinking ammo, the process and results are great. If you are processing a ton of quality brass for competion shooting and then reloading on a a progressive, this might not be for you. I am a skinflint

Dillon Super Swage 600 auto eject mod on You Tube

i'm a step ahead of ya mr. wegman! already chose my method of choice between the 15 hillbilly methods listed on the youtuber...there are some REALLY elaborate designs. I swear some people like 'modding' their gear more than using it for its intended purpose. speaking of which, my ass is still in this chair. i'm standing up now, lol.

Yup.
Edit: apparently he doesn’t but I sent him brass and it wasn’t a problem loading 55 gr FMJs. I think he deburs but not chamfer? They fed and shot fine in my AR

Looks like he’s not accepting new orders until April 3 because he’s so busy

And to think I’ve been doing this for years by hand like a sucker!

-Mike
Its $19 to ship 2500+ pieces to them and $90 for process and shipping back. .04 cents per round. Not bad, no wonder hes busy! If he only annealed for a few pennies more.

Resized approximately 500 .223 cases getting ready for the inevitable ‘surge’ in crime in Indianapolis in the coming weeks.

I’m not usually big on photos of what I’m holding, but I think you guys are safe now that I’m a thousand miles west :)
What is the rail for the bins on the front edge of the bench. i could use something better than the cheap plastic rail that came with my bins.

Gladiator Rail Systems - made by whirlpool or maytag or some company that will be sold out to the Chinese .gov in the next month or two.

got the tip from @EddieCoyle years ago and never looked back. The bins/accessories are proprietary to the rails, but I only use it for the bins. the shit is REALLY cheap on Amazon and super easy to install w/a countersink and a level.

It was several weeks back that I first loaded a test batch of 22 TCM 9R. I have since then shot those over my chronograph and confirmed max load velocity. This morning I loaded up 150 of these little bastards. 39g jacketed bullet going 1900fps out of a G17 conversion barrel. The powder is available from Accurate and is a super fine ball that bounces and easily makes a mess.

View attachment 343519View attachment 343520View attachment 343521
Nice looking ammo. What's the parent case on that?

And ball powder?!?! Yeah h110 is like that as well.....It's like playing with tiny bb's the shit goes everywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom