• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Thanks to a great deal from WEGMAN
I have more stuff to play with.
Got the lyman 450 up and running just need dies in the sizes I need. It worked great . Used Alox lube and even in my cool/cold basement it flowed well. Im going to need a heater for my normal lubeView attachment 344400

Going to play with the Old lyman mold mext
Are you using straight Alox in the sizer?

Got my 8mm sizing die set. Loaded them up after a clean down, and some lube for the threads and inside. Did a test run on the FL die and it works like a champ. The grinder stand did not tip over or anything. It is heavy enough to get the job done.

I will not set up the bullet seater die or crimp die just yet. Waiting on my l.e. wilson case gauge. I did test the new empty case in my mauser by hand feeding it, and it chambers with ease.

Got first run of brass started. I used some gift cards and purchased the Frankford tumbler and some corn cob. All my current brass is once fired by me so pretty clean, I’m going to check after an hr and go from there.

I Think I loaded in too much brass at first so scooped some out and seems to be moving pretty nicely. I didn’t count but tried putting a coffe jug worth in originally but half jugis working nicely. primers showed up and powder should also be here today as well. We’re Getting close!

This morning I played with my two digital scales and after letting warm up and calibrate they were reading very close so I’m thinking that I’m going to get eigther the RCBS or Dillon beam coming And be good to go. As stated I’ll be running a dillon 550 so once powder throw is set up the scales will be used to double check every so many rounds but I do understand with the low volume cartridges tenths do matter more. D455E293-1200-4369-9264-10831B0D9347.jpeg

Got my 8mm sizing die set. Loaded them up after a clean down, and some lube for the threads and inside. Did a test run on the FL die and it works like a champ. The grinder stand did not tip over or anything. It is heavy enough to get the job done.

I will not set up the bullet seater die or crimp die just yet. Waiting on my l.e. wilson case gauge. I did test the new empty case in my mauser by hand feeding it, and it chambers with ease.
No need for a case gauge. Use your barrel! The best way to test if something is going to fit in your chamber is with your chamber.
Spend the money you saved on more bullets!

for now, its some old lyman alox that came with the press.
Was it a stick of lube? Or “liquid” ?

With the old surplus rifles the chambers are often "generous" Using the lyman gauge will allow you to set up your resizing die to just bump the shoulder back just enough. Of course you need to keep the brass sorted to the particular rifle. If you set up the FL die per factory specs your cramming that case all the way back to "min" which will over work your brass.
I set my 8mm to aprox .002" shoulder set back. makes for easy chambering and extracting and keeps trimming to a min.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJYpm-qplQ

I find the hornady case comparator to be more useful for this but the wilson will work well

image.jpg
No need for a case gauge. Use your barrel! The best way to test if something is going to fit in your chamber is with your chamber.
Spend the money you saved on more bullets!

Was it a stick of lube? Or “liquid” ?
stick
Alox smokes to much. Plus I lnow some FUDDS that will get pissy with smokey rifle loads on the line!! Hahaha

Last edited:
I have two mausers, one is with mike cramer in texas who did 9 hole reviews sniper mauser getting the long slide rail scope installed. Gotta make sure they fit all 8mm chambers. I assume they will after FL sizing.
Yeah but maybe have special ammo for the sniper? Build up a nice load for that . Hope tou get that back soon

Looking for scale reccomemdations. I’ve got a a couple cheaper digital scales but looking for something reliable. Really would like to get a beam as well as digital that I can rely on. Reviews are all over the board depending where you read.
Looking at the Redding and RCBS M500 bean scale and than possibly Frankford platinum or RCBS rangemaster 2000 digital. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Not loading any precision rifle rounds and they would be used for checks and balances.
Here accurate to .04 and they toss in a free die set

Got first run of brass started. I used some gift cards and purchased the Frankford tumbler and some corn cob. All my current brass is once fired by me so pretty clean, I’m going to check after an hr and go from there.

I Think I loaded in too much brass at first so scooped some out and seems to be moving pretty nicely. I didn’t count but tried putting a coffe jug worth in originally but half jugis working nicely. primers showed up and powder should also be here today as well. We’re Getting close!

This morning I played with my two digital scales and after letting warm up and calibrate they were reading very close so I’m thinking that I’m going to get eigther the RCBS or Dillon beam coming And be good to go. As stated I’ll be running a dillon 550 so once powder throw is set up the scales will be used to double check every so many rounds but I do understand with the low volume cartridges tenths do matter more. View attachment 344410
Sweet! And it begins!! You’re going to love not having to go to gun shops or order ammo online now. Such a rewarding feeling.

Amazing. Still dont understand the reasoning behind taking the time to empty primers from their packaging into another container. Theyre already perfectly packaged and in such a way that its easy to keep track of how many youve used and how many you have left

Amazing. Still dont understand the reasoning behind taking the time to empty primers from their packaging into another container. Theyre already perfectly packaged and in such a way that its easy to keep track of how many youve used and how many you have left
Agreed

There's a good anecdote in Hatcher's Notebook about just this practice. A worker in an ammo plant or military base was carrying a bucket of loose primers, and he was jiggling it as he walked along to hear them jingle. It blew up and killed him. Very strong recommendation to never take primers out of the factory packaging until you're ready to use them.

Found 30 clean .223 cases and decided to load them up with H335 and Hornady 55 gr SP’s to pass some time. Then switched over to 44 mag. I probably have 1200+ rounds of 44 loaded but I’m so god damn bored I’m trying to do something constructive....

This f***ing rain better stop by tomorrow so I can hit the range.

I’ve successfully driven my wife nuts over the past few days by having the tumbler running in the garage a couple times a day. 1K+ rounds of 9mm, 5-600 rounds of .30-06, another 500 rounds or so of .45ACP. I have to finish off the remaining 9mm over the next few days, but I’ll give her some peace this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom