• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Thought about it more than once. I would if I could get the rifling to line up.
Ultimately everything ended up back in the melting pot.
Well, at least it found its way back into the fold.

I have a large (and growing) bag of brass that I can't load for various reasons. I am hoping to bring it to a recycler at some point. It's not even so much the money for it (although that is a nice byproduct) so much as I know we'll eventually exhaust the supply of brass, and I'd like to do some small gesture to prolong that.

That both sounds like a lot more fun than 300 rounds of 9mm, and like someone who has a gun problem. :)
Definitely more fun than 9mm. I hate the resistance of sizing 9mm on my progressive press. Wish it was smooth like 357. Yes I know I can lube the brass but I don’t want to deal with cleaning the lube after.

I love digging projectiles from the backstop medium. Lots to be learned. My dad and I would shoot at his range at 100 yards during the winter and in the early spring we would collect the Boollits that just died in the snow, perfectly intact.
On a side note, judging by the dirt under your fingernails, I'd say you work for a living. Or you ran out of your supply of TP.
🤣
I do a little of each.....work for a living but also am a manager.

The signature block in my emails reads "senior manager for warehousing and distribution" so if you had to pin me down to what I do...... that's my title....but I've never been the type to need to tell someone I work with what my signature block says in order to get shit done. I spend at least half my day on the warehouse floor with my team burning rubber on a forklift or pallet jack. It's the only way in my opinion to know what they can do, what they can't do, what they don't WANT to do, what they need, what they don't need, and what the want. I also just like "making shit happen". The only way to lead.....is to be with your crew.......just my opinion I guess. But I'm also the manager and have a budget, productivity metrics, safety requirements, training requirements, on time transportation, equipment maintenance, and order fill rate that i am responsible for. Have a bachelor's degree in forestry......and a masters in transportation and logistics management. I started my civilian life as a tractor trailer driver after I could not get a break and get into the forest service or Park service.... which was my goal.....then went inside as a warehouse guy......then warehouse formeman......then warehouse manager......then distribution manager...now sr manager. All at a few different companies.

Yes I'm kind of an odd ball I suppose.

My military career......I spent 12 years enlisted and made E6 before I went to ocs. Had a combination of active duty army and army national guard. I did 6 years as an infantryman and the rest in logistics. I retired last year as at the rank of major. I was not forced to retire I voluntarily retired. I was even on the lieutenant colonel list and had a freshly signed 2 year retention memo in my hand when I filed my request for retirement. I was just done. Major and above is all politics and I hate politics. It just wasn't fun anymore.

That's just a little about me I guess.....oh....and I have plenty of toilet paper at the house lol.

Last edited:
Well, at least it found its way back into the fold.

I have a large (and growing) bag of brass that I can't load for various reasons. I am hoping to bring it to a recycler at some point. It's not even so much the money for it (although that is a nice byproduct) so much as I know we'll eventually exhaust the supply of brass, and I'd like to do some small gesture to prolong that.
At the club yesterday I saw a shit ton of 308 brass in the grass. I dont even own a 308 and picked those up. Scrap brass adds up to $ pretty fast. I don't get why folks would leave rifle brass in the dirt.

What is this "cleaning" you speak of ? A little OneShot before resizing and then forget about it...good to go.

Likewise. I started lubing 9mm brass a couple weeks ago after seeing how smoothly the press ran on .38 and .357 when lubed. I thought about cleaning the rounds afterwards, but saw no good reason to do so. Shot ~200 rounds of freshly rolled 9mm Saturday - didn't see anything "strange" in the behavior of the round, nor on the surfaces of the firearm afterwards.

At the club yesterday I saw a shit ton of 308 brass in the grass. I dont even own a 308 and picked those up. Scrap brass adds up to $ pretty fast. I don't get why folks would leave rifle brass in the dirt.

Some reasons, too lazy to bend over and pick it up, they don't reload, the brass has been reloaded several times, they're leaving it for you [cheers]
If I go to the public range I usually spend a little while picking up brass before shooting. It cleans up the range a little and adds to the stash.

I toss stuff I don't use into the club's buckets.
But yes, a good chunk of my 30-06 and 308 reserves are brass left behind.

I've heard tupperware or large ziplock bag.
Sounds interesting for bulk .223.
But you guys have said making your own is a better route.
With rifle brass I use the lanolin mix and use a tupperware container to shake em around them let them dry. But no way am I using the lanolin for pistol brass. Don’t want to clean it off.

Interesting. I was at my club on Saturday and there had to be 200+ 308 cases on the ground. All Rem and PPU. I almost picked them up but I wanted to keep shooting. If I reloaded 308 I would have grabbed em.

Interesting. I was at my club on Saturday and there had to be 200+ 308 cases on the ground. All Rem and PPU. I almost picked them up but I wanted to keep shooting. If I reloaded 308 I would have grabbed em.
I just toss rifle brass in a bucket in my garage even if I don't reload that cal. It adds up quick when turned in for cash or barter for stuff I need.

With rifle brass I use the lanolin mix and use a tupperware container to shake em around them let them dry. But no way am I using the lanolin for pistol brass. Don’t want to clean it off.
I've been using the "free" Lee case lube I have, but eventually I'll run out. I have an RCBS pad that I squirt some onto, and then run 6-12 cases around on it at a time, then get the necks individually. Not as bad as doing each by hand, but still a process. Compared to spraying some Hornady on a tray of brass or shaking up a bag on one go, those seem to be a faster process.

I've just heard contradictory info on how well One Shot works. I haven't processed .223 in a while as I have roughly six hundred cases ready to go, but I'll need to someday.

I've been using the "free" Lee case lube I have, but eventually I'll run out. I have an RCBS pad that I squirt some onto, and then run 6-12 cases around on it at a time, then get the necks individually. Not as bad as doing each by hand, but still a process. Compared to spraying some Hornady on a tray of brass or shaking up a bag on one go, those seem to be a faster process.

I've just heard contradictory info on how well One Shot works. I haven't processed .223 in a while as I have roughly six hundred cases ready to go, but I'll need to someday.
You have to be very generous with one shot unlike the lanolin mix.
If I’m using one shot for rifle brass, this is the method I use:

I use the Frankford Arsenal Lanolin lube for bulk .223. It lasts for quite a long time. For other rifle calibers (.303, Arisaka, and 30-06) I usually put some Imperial wax on my fingers and give the case a quick twist and then resize. I tried One-Shot and didn't like it. I have an unused can around somewhere that was given as a gift. I should probably karma it since I won't use it.

Would you reuse them? That'd be one heck of a way improve your ROI.
I k
Its the same thing as folks not getting their deposit back on cans and bottles.
Then theres the folks that make enough not to care.

Hmm I may have to try one shot again. You just toss some brass in a Tupperware container and spritz them with one shot and shake it around?

I've tried a couple ways, and what I'm currently doing is:
dump the brass into a shallow cardboard box, (handful at a time so I can filter out .380, .40 and any bad cases)
push the brash around so it's all lying down, (no case mouths up)
spray them for 1 to 2 seconds
rattle them around in the cardboard box
dump them into a plastic pail and shake it up a few times
let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes to let them dry
dump them into my caseloader.

I put the brass in one of those small plastic storage containers that are like the size of a shoebox. Theyre at HD for like a buck. Few spritzes of (I think) Frankford Arsenal lube, shake it around and let it evaporate. Works for me

I've tried a couple ways, and what I'm currently doing is:
dump the brass into a shallow cardboard box, (handful at a time so I can filter out .380, .40 and any bad cases)
push the brash around so it's all lying down, (no case mouths up)
spray them for 1 to 2 seconds
rattle them around in the cardboard box
dump them into a plastic pail and shake it up a few times
let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes to let them dry
dump them into my caseloader.

I do this with lanolin. With a misting spray bottle 3 squirts is plenty for a few hundred cases (single layer at bottom of box). It may take more sprays for the first loads if you're using a new box. I have a box that is well saturated already.

I've heard tupperware or large ziplock bag.
Sounds interesting for bulk .223.
But you guys have said making your own is a better route.
i used one shot for a while, I ended up with a few free cans. It works fine. Even with the bagNshake method.

i went home made because.
1. Every $ i save goes to ammo/guns/reloading supplies
2. I have skinflintitis
3. i dont make much
Hornady one shot is about $10/6oz

7oz of pure lanolin cost me $5/7oz
Iso heat $3/12oz can be found cheaper also cheaper option is walgreens Isopropyl or buy it by the gallon its about .25 oz by the gallon and you can use it for other cleaning. I like to wipe items down with it before painting.
Mixed 10/1 this will last you a good long time.

When things get back to normal you can use 99% isopropyl bought cvs/walgreens for less than isoheat.

I also met someone who uses the water based cable lube electricians use when pulling cables.
He will water it down a bit and let them dry.

I have a water based tire mounting paste I might try also. Although this will need to dry.

Back
Top Bottom