• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate?) to be an essential employee at the moment. No loss of work, plus a nice little boost from the government. Lucky for me, I do suppose.
I'm on work from home but hard to say how things will be weeks from now. Going to put aside the check and wait and see. If I make it through unscathed, I'll probably use some of it for something fun. Was originally thinking a Steyr AUG, but I keep putting off a progressive press. Need a better workbench first, though.

I'm on work from home but hard to say how things will be weeks from now. Going to put aside the check and wait and see. If I make it through unscathed, I'll probably use some of it for something fun. Was originally thinking a Steyr AUG, but I keep putting off a progressive press. Need a better workbench first, though.
I used all 2x6 framing for my bench, made it into an "L" shape, with 1" plywood on top all from lowes for about $55. I just bought an ammobot so I will be putting my check in the bank to fill that hole.

I used all 2x6 framing for my bench, made it into an "L" shape, with 1" plywood on top all from lowes for about $55. I just bought an ammobot so I will be putting my check in the bank to fill that hole.
Nice. I was interested in building one, too. The current bench came with the house and is rather rickety and not ideal for my purposes.

Nice. I was interested in building one, too. The current bench came with the house and is rather rickety and not ideal for my purposes.
what type of bench are you looking for? Do it all reloading , working on stuff. I dont have room for a decent bench inside the house so I dont have shit. I have a shed with no power
there are a handful of decent work benches on craigs list, mass anyway. A few I would grab just for the Vices!

what type of bench are you looking for? Do it all reloading , working on stuff. I dont have room for a decent bench inside the house so I dont have shit. I have a shed with no power
there are a handful of decent work benches on craigs list, mass anyway. A few I would grab just for the Vices!
Reloading and working on stuff. The current one has a socket as well that I plug a shop light and the electronic powder dispenser into. It doesn't need to be the world's greatest, just sturdy enough for reloading and to hold my vice for working on ARs and stuff. Easy to clean and a shelf would be a nice bonus.

Reloading and working on stuff. The current one has a socket as well that I plug a shop light and the electronic powder dispenser into. It doesn't need to be the world's greatest, just sturdy enough for reloading and to hold my vice for working on ARs and stuff. Easy to clean and a shelf would be a nice bonus.
keep an eye out for lista benchs on graigs list or local want ads. I have 2 and they are solid. Sadly my mom claimed them as she has the space. Being able to bolt it to a wall or floor is a huge gain also

Working on a cast load for the M1a
These are my 2 choices on hamd. Im looking for function then I will work on a accuracy load.
Going to try 25.5 grains of 5744 it might work ? QL software puts it at 9000psi at the gas port . With the velocity right around 1900fps

I really wanted to use my 314299 sized down to .310” but the nose is just to fat and long for the criterion match barrel. I would have to seat the bullet way to deep past the neck image.jpg

No reloading today but I learned something.

Club is back open outdoor range only. Went for a quick trip for something to do. Had my steel plate in a 2x4 stand. Using my 1911 at 50 yards and did very well with my Berry's plated swc. When we were packing up I saw one 45 ish sized hole and a bulge in the back side but no exit. Dug it out and found this. So.....my 4.7 grain of bullseye with 200 grain plated swc will penetrate about 4 inches of pine at 50 yards. Now the best part ... I was always worried my crimp was too tight as I've heard too much crimp on a plated bullet will crack the plating. Check this out ....almost no deformation after penetrating just shy of 4 inches of pine and just rifling marks to be seen. No crimp line or anything. The grey color is not exosed lead it's discoloration from hot metal hitting wood. 20200329_155356.jpg

Last edited:
Club is back open outdoor range only. Went for a quick trip for something to do. Had my steel plate in a 2x4 stand. Using my 1911 at 50 yards and did very well with my Berry's plated swc.

Sounds like a fun afternoon.

How big is the steel plate? At 50 yards, I'm not hitting anything much smaller than 8" with a handgun.

Nice. Even I have room for one of those in the basement. (barely) Interested to hear how it works out. I have a press or two that could use a more permanent home. Is this from Lee or Harbor Freight?

eta-barely room in the basement, not Im barely interested, lol

Last edited:
Cleaned all the crap off my bench and ordered a replacement for my broken powder scale, was looking at maybe getting a better powder measure. Haven't reloaded since the Obama days because ammo has been so cheap, thinking that's gonna change for a while here soon.

next up i need some trays that will mount to the side of this grinder stand. probably going to use the free bolt holes that the grinder stand top came with to lock down some trays for bullets or a powder stand 20200329_191821.jpg

i think i found more to buy... Universal double bullet tray system. - Inline Fabrication

pmb_IMG_4681_1024x1024.jpg

Fiddled with my NOS MEC press for about an hour before I realized it was set up for 3” shells.
Swapped it back to 2 3/4” and had it adjusted in a couple minutes. Good times.
Went back to load up some 00 buck. I’ll try them out next time I get to the range before I make a ton more.

I think i have enough, but will get some paracord and tie a cement block under the bottom to the stand when stores open up againView attachment 342968
that stand should have holes in the bottom of the legs, peel the carpet back you can find the joist and send a few 2"+ like these and it should hold just fine

I thought you said you did not have any room....

Another thing you can do is get a piece off 3/4" ply wood that fits inside that area Bolt the stand to that.

Last edited:
No reloading today but I learned something.

Club is back open outdoor range only. Went for a quick trip for something to do. Had my steel plate in a 2x4 stand. Using my 1911 at 50 yards and did very well with my Berry's plated swc. When we were packing up I saw one 45 ish sized hole and a bulge in the back side but no exit. Dug it out and found this. So.....my 4.7 grain of bullseye with 200 grain plated swc will penetrate about 4 inches of pine at 50 yards. Now the best part ... I was always worried my crimp was too tight as I've heard too much crimp on a plated bullet will crack the plating. Check this out ....almost no deformation after penetrating just shy of 4 inches of pine and just rifling marks to be seen. No crimp line or anything. The grey color is not exosed lead it's discoloration from hot metal hitting wood.View attachment 342933
I love digging projectiles from the backstop medium. Lots to be learned. My dad and I would shoot at his range at 100 yards during the winter and in the early spring we would collect the Boollits that just died in the snow, perfectly intact.
On a side note, judging by the dirt under your fingernails, I'd say you work for a living. Or you ran out of your supply of TP.

I love digging projectiles from the backstop medium. Lots to be learned. My dad and I would shoot at his range at 100 yards during the winter and in the early spring we would collect the Boollits that just died in the snow, perfectly intact.
On a side note, judging by the dirt under your fingernails, I'd say you work for a living. Or you ran out of your supply of TP.
Would you reuse them? That'd be one heck of a way improve your ROI.

Back
Top Bottom