• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

How do you apply it? Ziplock bag?

I have an old kitchen towel that I keep in a zip lock bag. I take the towel out of the bag and lay the brass on it and spray them. This towel is pretty saturated with lanolin and I could probably just roll some cases on it without adding more spray, but I don't want to risk a stuck case. I will say that I don't spray as much nowadays vs. when the towel was first used.

Likewise. I started lubing 9mm brass a couple weeks ago after seeing how smoothly the press ran on .38 and .357 when lubed. I thought about cleaning the rounds afterwards, but saw no good reason to do so. Shot ~200 rounds of freshly rolled 9mm Saturday - didn't see anything "strange" in the behavior of the round, nor on the surfaces of the firearm afterwards.

Yeah, i've shot many thousands of 9MM that have been given the OneShot treatment without cleaning....don't see any downside.

Got cancelled for another week. The bright spot will be friday when my lee pace setter die set comes in. I did get the rcbs 30-06 to 8mm die coming in soon after that. Then Hank(my press) will come alive
You named your press already? You may want to change the name after you get a couple hundred rounds through it. When the press truly develops a personality, takes on a life of its own, calls to you in the middle of the night, eats up all your spare cash.
Damien. I'm here for you, Damien.

Got cancelled for another week. The bright spot will be friday when my lee pace setter die set comes in. I did get the rcbs 30-06 to 8mm die coming in soon after that. Then Hank(my press) will come alive
You named your press already? You may want to change the name after you get a couple hundred rounds through it. When the press truly develops a personality, takes on a life of its own, calls to you in the middle of the night, eats up all your spare cash.
Damien. I'm here for you, Damien.
Do we know the gender of the press yet?....

Started trimming the .223 brass I’ve put aside for awhile. I need to find a better way. Looking at the Trim-It II. Any other recommendations around the same price range

Nice. I was interested in building one, too. The current bench came with the house and is rather rickety and not ideal for my purposes.
Simpson Strong Ties has do it yourself plan for a bench on there website. Easy to make with only straight cuts and all joined with brackets they make. HD has those.... IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1605.JPG

Last edited:
Started trimming the .223 brass I’ve put aside for awhile. I need to find a better way. Looking at the Trim-It II. Any other recommendations around the same price range
I grabbed one of these about 2 years ago and over 2k of 223 brass later, still no issues. Chuck it in your drill and run it at medium speed. It's cheap and it works.

i used one shot for a while, I ended up with a few free cans. It works fine. Even with the bagNshake method.

i went home made because.
1. Every $ i save goes to ammo/guns/reloading supplies
2. I have skinflintitis
3. i dont make much
Hornady one shot is about $10/6oz

7oz of pure lanolin cost me $5/7oz
Iso heat $3/12oz can be found cheaper also cheaper option is walgreens Isopropyl or buy it by the gallon its about .25 oz by the gallon and you can use it for other cleaning. I like to wipe items down with it before painting.
Mixed 10/1 this will last you a good long time.

When things get back to normal you can use 99% isopropyl bought cvs/walgreens for less than isoheat.

I also met someone who uses the water based cable lube electricians use when pulling cables.
He will water it down a bit and let them dry.

I have a water based tire mounting paste I might try also. Although this will need to dry.
I prefer the homemade. And you save money too.

I trim on my lathe. Years ago I made a fixtures for the tool holder that locate off the shoulder and chuck up a 3/8 endmill. Lock the carriage and use the compound to adjust.

Giraud hands down. Chamfers and deburrs as it trims. as tedious as case prep is, the more steps you can do at once the better

Been thinking about one of those for a long time. I think my pile of .223/5.56 brass( about 8-9k) now justifies buying one.

I don't like reloading .223 as it is and the case prep really makes it tedious.

Waiting for UPS today to drop off some 115gr 9mm FMJ bullets. It's raining again and not going anywhere for another month so might as well wear out the press.

Been thinking about one of those for a long time. I think my pile of .223/5.56 brass( about 8-9k) now justifies buying one.

I don't like reloading .223 as it is and the case prep really makes it tedious.

Waiting for UPS today to drop off some 115gr 9mm FMJ bullets. It's raining again and not going anywhere for another month so might as well wear out the press.

only problem i've had, which i've recently solved, is when using my drill press it tries to pry the cases out of my hand, leading to blisters. I've found using those grippy gardening gloves fixed that. i tried the hospital-style rubber gloves but the shells still twisted to much.

only problem i've had, which i've recently solved, is when using my drill press it tries to pry the cases out of my hand, leading to blisters. I've found using those grippy gardening gloves fixed that. i tried the hospital-style rubber gloves but the shells still twisted to much.

I use the rubberized gloves with my Giraud.

I have found the Dillon lube goes further and works better than anything I have tried. What I do is spray a couple pumps over the cases in a shallow cardboard box and shake. Then let them dry for a while. The first couple I lube with Imperial size wax just to get the die lubed, then the others with the Dillon lube. I think the One-shot is the same, but it's $$$ and doesn't go as far.

For the guys with the Triway's who wear gloves...

I have an old motor from an air handler that I use to trim. I used to wear the rubber palmed gloves from HD but got it into my head that if the glove ever got wrapped around the shaft or if the case bound up in the triway and the glove wrapped around the case it would f*ck up my hand/wrist/arm before I would be able to yank the cord out of the recepticle. Am i being unreasonable? No machine shop experience here (prob obvious) but Ive seen the horror shows online of Chinese dudes getting dragged into industrial lathes and dont want a scaled down version to happen to me.

I have an old motor from an air handler that I use to trim. I used to wear the rubber palmed gloves from HD but got it into my head that if the glove ever got wrapped around the shaft or if the case bound up in the triway and the glove wrapped around the case it would f*ck up my hand/wrist/arm before I would be able to yank the cord out of the recepticle. Am i being unreasonable? No machine shop experience here (prob obvious) but Ive seen the horror shows online of Chinese dudes getting dragged into industrial lathes and dont want a scaled down version to happen to me.

i've just had every glove rip if it came to that, never been caught (so far).

Its a relatively small motor that you would find working as a blower motor in a say 20-30 year old furnace. Im sure it wouldnt rip my arm out if its socket, but a finger or wrist may end up with some damage.

It was several weeks back that I first loaded a test batch of 22 TCM 9R. I have since then shot those over my chronograph and confirmed max load velocity. This morning I loaded up 150 of these little bastards. 39g jacketed bullet going 1900fps out of a G17 conversion barrel. The powder is available from Accurate and is a super fine ball that bounces and easily makes a mess.

IMG_20200331_105347541.jpg IMG_20200331_105606270.jpg IMG_20200331_111504161.jpg

It was several weeks back that I first loaded a test batch of 22 TCM 9R. I have since then shot those over my chronograph and confirmed max load velocity. This morning I loaded up 150 of these little bastards. 39g jacketed bullet going 1900fps out of a G17 conversion barrel. The powder is available from Accurate and is a super fine ball that bounces and easily makes a mess.

View attachment 343519View attachment 343520View attachment 343521
those look like they'd be prime for some of the 22 cal flat nose cast boolits for even cheaper shooting. although, i suspect the most expensive part of that equation would be your brass.

Giraud hands down. Chamfers and deburrs as it trims.
So does the Trim-It II. I've been doing some researching and it appears the Giraud would be the most expensive if I do multiple calibers, and it appears the Giraud has limited caliber selection. The Trim-it II would be the higher up front cost, but it only requires a caliber specific collet (~$20 each caliber). Thanks for the feedback so far.

Never wear gloves around moving machine parts.

I grabbed one of these about 2 years ago and over 2k of 223 brass later, still no issues. Chuck it in your drill and run it at medium speed. It's cheap and it works.

Can you set the trim length? There's not much info on their website, and the couple of youtube videos I watched didn't mention it. Also, how is the trimmed edge? That is, does it leave a burr that needs to be removed? You certainly can't beat the price!

image.jpeg

Just say no to gloves.

Back
Top Bottom