• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Finally bought my first set of reloading components with the help of a fellow member. Got IMR4895, RMR 147gr FMJBT .30 cals, and Federal 210Ms incoming, along with some R-P once fired .308 brass.

I'm debating between jumping on a single stage press now and getting started ASAP or waiting out the storm and saving up for a progressive press. Ideally, I want to be able to load 500-1000 rounds of .308 a month.
You’ll want both. I have a Lee single stage just for resizing/depriming rifle brass. Then load the brass on my Hornady progressive press.

Get a single now.
Short money and you'll always have a use for it.
Good to learn on, not so much for mass production.

I have several singles and I use them all the time. Load developments when I just want to do 10-50, bottleneck case prep, handloading high accuracy rifle rounds.

I loaded 1k rounds of 77gr on a single for a long distance carbine class. You gotta really like reloading and be anal to do stuff like that because the reality is at unknown distances 400-600 I'm just not as good as the ammo is. But I like being sure the gun and the ammo are best possible so I can accurately measure my progress.

I would recommend the Lee Classic turret press. It’s not much more than a single stage. You can use it as a single stage or with the turret for higher output.

I have a 4 hole Lee turret. It's made probably 50k rounds of 223 for training. If you can only afford one press it's a good choice. Buy 3 or 4 of the square plastic bushings. You'll ruin 1 or 2 when figuring out when your doing, then they'll be good for thousands of rounds each.

I use a simple lee loader kit but they do not carry the calibers they used to.

The breechlock hand press is prob a nice way to go
the breach lock hand loader is good if you want to full length size the brass on the move or at the bench doing small tests.
Those hand presses are now $60 , you can get the challenger press for not much more and have a better press by 1000%.

I got home early today and seeing this trend continuing i decided to dig out the shot maker and make some shot for trap shooting.
Moved a bunch of stuff went to grab a 5g bucket and it hardly budged....wtf? Open it up its about 150# of shot.....ohh yeah. Forgot about you. Its been several years since I loaded any shotshell and i forgot all about this bucket. i used up the other bucket. i also found some more 70/30 solder and 2 2 liter bottles filled with shot.

I got home early today and seeing this trend continuing i decided to dig out the shot maker and make some shot for trap shooting.
Moved a bunch of stuff went to grab a 5g bucket and it hardly budged....wtf? Open it up its about 150# of shot.....ohh yeah. Forgot about you. Its been several years since I loaded any shotshell and i forgot all about this bucket. i used up the other bucket. i also found some more 70/30 solder and 2 2 liter bottles filled with shot.
I found a box of 250 38spl projectiles in a coffee can the other day. I love the discovery of lost reloading artifacts.

Finally bought my first set of reloading components with the help of a fellow member. Got IMR4895, RMR 147gr FMJBT .30 cals, and Federal 210Ms incoming, along with some R-P once fired .308 brass.

I'm debating between jumping on a single stage press now and getting started ASAP or waiting out the storm and saving up for a progressive press. Ideally, I want to be able to load 500-1000 rounds of .308 a month.

When I jumped into reloading I bought a progressive lock and load ammo plant and a single stage lock and load classic from Hornady. I still have not set up the ammo plant, I can do what I need on the the classic for rifle. I'm about to finally get the motivation after about three years to set up the ammo plant for 9mm. I have tons in stock but I shoot a lot drilling and in competition in the summer. The Hornady stuff is very nice but I'm not an expert at reloading, others probably have better equipment recs.

I love the discovery of lost reloading artifacts.

I stumbled upon this along the beach in front of the old anti aircraft gunner training range in Wellfleet a few years ago. I think it's from a 20mm Vulcan, but I'm not really sure. Probably not suitable for reloading. ;) The 50BMG rounds used to show up there pretty frequently as well, both live rounds and empty brass, but not so much the last few years.

vulcan_1.jpg

vulcan_2.jpg

sry don’t follow lol
“ Could anyone in MA that reloads PM me with some info about the internet. :)

You need help with the internet, thought I would start from the beginning.
Maybe your to young to even know Al Gore- well myth claims he said to have invented the internet

Sorted out the main brass bucket amd decapped the 9 and 380 last night.
Filled a 3.5lb coffee can with 9 - didn't realize that I was shooting that much.
Going to need more powder.

Planning on a garage cleanup this weekend so that I can host a casting session this spring - if I can also get the CNC setup correct might be able to finish off some 80%s (anyone here setup tool touch off plates with LinuxCNC?)

I've used Fiocchi SRP and they all go Bang...
I thought I had plenty of 55 gr FMJBT until I did inventory yesterday of everything I load. Definitely need to find more.

Separately, my SIL came by with some brass for me to load for him and he had some 7.62x39 for an SKS he just bought. He asked if I’d load it if he bought the dies. For those that load this, what powders and projectiles are you using? I have a bunch of manuals to reference, but thought I would check with those that load it as well.

I have 800 hornady 55 FMJ's i'd be willing to part with...they're not doing me any favors in 'service rifle' this year, so they will just collect dust unless used strictly for plinking or if i end up getting into 3 gun (but not likely this year because I'm getting into high power).

Accurate 1680 is the only powder for 7.62x39...ok, not the only one, but it was literally designed for it. It can also be used for 300blk if you're into that sort of thing. I use the nosler 123 gr Varmageddon projectiles for AK/SKS and they work REALLY well for my 7.7 Jap and likely .303 as well (seeing as how those two loosely share load data). Moving forward, i'll be using the 'Spangler Special' 160gr .312's sized down to .311 and coated in special sauce (hi tek) cast from american wheel weights, sail boat keels and chimney flashing.

Last edited:
I will ad that now is the time to stock up on lead be it bullets or ignots.
There are some ok prices on alloy right now.
It’s always less stock up time. Which reminds me that I need to get more alloy. I’m very low on pure lead.

Sorted out the main brass bucket amd decapped the 9 and 380 last night.
Filled a 3.5lb coffee can with 9 - didn't realize that I was shooting that much.
Going to need more powder.

Planning on a garage cleanup this weekend so that I can host a casting session this spring - if I can also get the CNC setup correct might be able to finish off some 80%s (anyone here setup tool touch off plates with LinuxCNC?)
Gotta love being able to shoot that much and not even notice it.
I’m due for a brass sorting session. I don’t think I have any 45 Colt loaded and tons of other brass to sort through. Now that I think of it I don’t have any 45/70 loaded either.

Id you get the CNC set up are you going to try to cut a mould?

It’s always less stock up time. Which reminds me that I need to get more alloy. I’m very low on pure lead.

I’m due for a brass sorting session. I don’t think I have any 45 Colt loaded and tons of other brass to sort through. Now that I think of it I don’t have any 45/70 loaded either.

a group buy on alloy would be nice.

a group buy on alloy would be nice.
Im all for scrounging and free but it is not coming as fast as it used to.

X39 loads easy enough and the “common” 223 powders work
Way back I had a mini mauser in X39
I used 28 grains H4895 and .311 soft points usually winchester and or PPU . Problem with reloading x39 is good brass and cheap bullets dont come around often anymore
I think your lucking to find .310 bullets for much less than 18 cents each

That Lee C312 would be handy for the Argentine, but I've pretty much shelved the casting process of late.
If things get desperate, maybe I'll fire up the Coleman Stove again...but, likely I'll settle for the 130g M1 Carbine bullet as my go to for rifle plinker loads in .308" through .312"
If you guys have surplus coated .312" bullets, perhaps I'll buy a few.

Back
Top Bottom