What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Sold my used Dillon Square Deal B...because I bought a brand new Dillon Square Deal B! I bought the first one just to try it out for a few thousand rounds to see if I liked it/if it was worth it, and it most definitely was/is...so much so, I felt like I needed a brand new one to run through the ringer.

These are probably the most underrated reloading machine out there. Yeah, yeah and the proprietary dies and all that, I get it. That's what set me off for so long to buy one, too. Now I won't even load pistol on my 550b (still keeping all my die sets/quick change kits in all my calibers in case I upgrade to a 750 or 1100 at some point though.)

What are your guys preferences on cleaning brass. Wet or dry tumble? I’ll be doing mostly pistol stuff. I’ve read with dry you don’t want to deprime first but with wet you do?
Anyone use the Frankfort Arsenal stuff and if so good or bad?
Dry. Corn cob or walnut media.

Can I get some feedback on Hornady One Shot? I was thinking it would work for 223. I've seen people either fill up a loading tray and spray it, or spray it into a big bag filled with brass and shake it up.

Just looking for something faster than doing 6-10 cases at a time on my RCBS lube mat.

Trying to develop some alternatives for my Rossi 38/357. I knew I couldn't run 125 grain RNFP lead bullets (won't cycle), but I figured I might be able to drive 125 grain Hi-Tek TCFPs at sufficient velocity to be accurate without playing any pressure games. I loaded 8 over 7.5 grains of Auto Pistol and tried them out the other day. They weren't as accurate as my hot 38 loads using the Zero (HAP) bullets, but there was some promise there, and at that pressure (probably about 16000 psi) the brass wasn't screwed up (would still chamber in my SP-101 after firing in the Rossi). Loaded up a set 7.5gr, 7.7gr, 8.0gr, and 8.2gr, which is probably close to but maybe less than 20000 psi. Will see how they group. Other than that, I'm running out of stuff to do reloading wise that makes any sense. Last week I loaded up 900 rounds of 38 special using 158 grain Zero JHPs. Added to my existing stocks and relative lack of 38 special-only guns that need it, I don't expect to run out of 38's for a year or more. I guess I could load up some more light 44 magnums for the model 69. Only got 100 of those loaded up.

Has the market thinned out so bad that reloading bench sweepings now have demand? [laugh]
Hardly sweepings. I gave up reloading many years ago but still bought bullets (2 NES group buys) and primers over the years, thinking that I'd get back into it. In moving to NH I discovered that I have a lot more ammo than I'll ever have time to shoot, so it is time to thin the herd. I also have a never mounted/used Dillon 650, Lyman All American Press (that I did all my reloading on), reloading books for the powders I have for sale, carbide die sets, etc. As I dig it out from the shelves under the bench I'll be listing the stuff.

Can I get some feedback on Hornady One Shot? I was thinking it would work for 223. I've seen people either fill up a loading tray and spray it, or spray it into a big bag filled with brass and shake it up.

Just looking for something faster than doing 6-10 cases at a time on my RCBS lube mat.
It works fine as long as you’re generous with the lube...giggity.

View: https://youtu.be/A3zGgFu1aC0

Otherwise use the alcohol lanolin mixture and get a Tupperware container and spritz them a few times and shake it around. Let the alcohol evaporate and start sizing. This is what I do.

Sold my used Dillon Square Deal B...because I bought a brand new Dillon Square Deal B! I bought the first one just to try it out for a few thousand rounds to see if I liked it/if it was worth it, and it most definitely was/is...so much so, I felt like I needed a brand new one to run through the ringer.

These are probably the most underrated reloading machine out there. Yeah, yeah and the proprietary dies and all that, I get it. That's what set me off for so long to buy one, too. Now I won't even load pistol on my 550b (still keeping all my die sets/quick change kits in all my calibers in case I upgrade to a 750 or 1100 at some point though.)

They do crank.
I bought one a few years back set up in .45, and thats all its used for.
I've been floundering on buying the 750, but would probably have to sell the 550 to take a dent off of the 750 price tag.

What are your guys preferences on cleaning brass. Wet or dry tumble? I’ll be doing mostly pistol stuff. I’ve read with dry you don’t want to deprime first but with wet you do?
I go for the low cost approach

Everything gets deprimed

Rifle goes in the HF ultrasonic cleaner with lemishine and dish soap

Pistol goes in a large plastic jar with the same solution. Shake, let sit for 15, repeat a couple of times

Rinse and dry

It's doesn't shine the brass but it's clean enough to not damage your dies

Lanolin and iso-heat (99% isopropyl)
Dump everything into a box, give a 60 second shake to mix well and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (alcohol needs to evaporate)

Super fast, cheap and is safe for your hands

Im surprised your not making your own these days?

Im surprised your not making your own these days?
I've still got "freebies" that I've acquired with die purchases and what not.
I do a lot of necksizing so I haven't run out, and I got two lubes of the Lee case lube as a gift once.

For "volume" stuff like 223 which doesn't seem to need much lube, was looking for a quicker/easier way to mass lube the cases to keep things rolling.

I had seen people fill a ziplock bag with 223 and then spray Hornady One-Shot in and shake it up, and it seemed to be quick and easy.

But it looks like lanolin and alcohol is the way to go.

I wet tumble my brass for about 30min, before I deprime, not for the shine but to remove the majority of lead, carbon, sand, etc. Once dry (maybe same day or months later), I then deprime, resize and trim as needed. This is when I tumble in walnut media and NuFinish polish for about 2hrs. Some small primer holes may get a grain of walnut stuck here and there but I am inspecting the brass anyway so I just pick it out. Wet tumbling keeps most lead dust out of my media and in the air. Good luck and enjoy

Lanolin and iso-heat (99% isopropyl)
Dump everything into a box, give a 60 second shake to mix well and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (alcohol needs to evaporate)

Super fast, cheap and is safe for your hands

Funny...I bought a bottle of lanolin on amazon a month ago and have been looking for 99% isopropyl alcohol ever since so I can (finally) try this method out. Looks like I'll head to AutoZone...I prefer it to the supermarket/walmart these days anyways.

I’m pretty weird about this. I only reload revolver calibers, and the brass I’m working with just has range dust and carbon on it. I have a set of “dirty” nitride and carbide resizing/decapping dies and deprime and resize with them prior to wet tumbling. Tumbling is batched, obviously, but the depriming and resizing is an as-you-go thing not long after each range trip. If I reloaded bottleneck rifle cartridges, I’d do something different for them.

Cabellas has the rcbs ruck chucker supreme on sale for $139. I'm tempted to head out and get one......but damn what are the lines gonna be like in the ammo and guns section????

I wet tumble with SS pins, citric acid and car wash fluid. Less noise, no dust, super clean and slick brass. Higher up-front cost and you have to dry the brass out, but I don't regret going that route. You must deprime your cases first. I got a universal decapper die for simplicity and so I can keep my loading dies clean.

I got the Thumler's Tumbler, but there are other options now including the Extreme tumbler which is essentially the same, but with a couple upgrades like pillow block bearings.

I use a couple small Frankford items like an impact puller and small electronic scale (in addition to my RCBS balance scale).

All this talk of 9MM shortages and price gouging had me feeling a little anxious....up early this morning so I cranked out 500 rounds of 125GR - TC (Blue Bullets) over VVN320 and now I feel much better ;-)

Oh, also reminded by Dillon 550 how much I love her...
Figured that I might as well do some 9mm too. Brass was prepped and hand primed for a rainy day. As a side note, thanks again to @EddieZoom for this press which was won in a Karma in 2018.20200321_134909.jpg

I've still got "freebies" that I've acquired with die purchases and what not.
I do a lot of necksizing so I haven't run out, and I got two lubes of the Lee case lube as a gift once.

For "volume" stuff like 223 which doesn't seem to need much lube, was looking for a quicker/easier way to mass lube the cases to keep things rolling.

I had seen people fill a ziplock bag with 223 and then spray Hornady One-Shot in and shake it up, and it seemed to be quick and easy.

But it looks like lanolin and alcohol is the way to go.
In one of the old reloading publication articles,
Reloading for semi auto, garand, cast loads in semi auto or some shit used a 50 cal ammo can and pored in some lanolin mix and shook drained and dried.
I just put 50 cases in shell holder and spray like any other spray lube.

Cabellas has the rcbs ruck chucker supreme on sale for $139. I'm tempted to head out and get one......but damn what are the lines gonna be like in the ammo and guns section????
Can you order it online? They used to do free 2 day shipping over $50.

Can you order it online? They used to do free 2 day shipping over $50.
I went and they are out of stock of course but yes can order online.

I actually looked at the rcbs turret and for $279 seems like it may be a better option. It's not auto turn.....have to index it by hand with the handle but I looked at some online vids and it seem pretty fast. I'll think about it.

Funny...I bought a bottle of lanolin on amazon a month ago and have been looking for 99% isopropyl alcohol ever since so I can (finally) try this method out. Looks like I'll head to AutoZone...I prefer it to the supermarket/walmart these days anyways.
Just make sure it's the iso-heat and not the regular stuff - I don't think methanol will dissolve lanolin plus you don't want skin contact with it

Ordered a lee case holder and 8x57 mauser gauge and trimmer. In addition, got some ss pins, lemishine, and jewelry tumbler from amazon. Cleaning by hand sucks and my cases are getting a little too long for max length. All should be arriving by april fools day.

And in previous days.. ordered an 8lb imr 4064 from lg outdoors, 1k primers, and 150 more 198gr 8mm projectiles.

This is a costly quarantine for me.. f***...

Back
Top Bottom