• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

I have a Lee loadall II for doing 12 guage shotshell reloading. Lots of times when I have told people I reload shotgun I have been asked why. That it was plentiful and not really a time saver or money saver. My answer always was why not, I have the press I have 2-3k red AA hulls and I have the time. SO... today 2 people asked if they could buy some 12 guage from me cause they couldn't stand in line ( and probably don't know about ordering from online suppliers). My answer was No I'm not in the ammunition business. I find it funny that so many people who feel they are so damned smart, aren't smart enough to read about the past and look forward into the future to know it's bound to happen again .

Last edited:
I have a Lee loadall II for doing 12 guage shotshell reloading. Lots of times when I have told people I reload shotgun I have been asked why. That it was plentiful and not really a time saver or money saver. My answer always was why not, I have the press I have 2-3k red AA hulls and I have the time. SO... today 2 people asked if they could buy some 12 guage from me cause they couldn't stand in line ( and probably don't know about ordering form online suppliers). My answer was No I'm not in the ammunition business. I find it funny that so many people who feel they are so damned smart, aren't smart enough to read about the past and look forward into the future to know it's bound to happen again .
AMEN!
Even if I didn't save any money I would still reload. It makes better ammo and it's an awesome hobby that teaches you so much more about firearms and ammo. Why the hell not?

Thankfully I have lead ingots and a fair amount of brass and primers on hand, Guess I can spend my down time out back casting some 45's. I was on the verge of selling off all my casting stock and equipment a year and a 1/2 ago ! WTF was I thinking holey chit I'm really glad I didn't at this point

Thankfully I have lead ingots and a fair amount of brass and primers on hand, Guess I can spend my down time out back casting some 45's. I was on the verge of selling off al my casting stock and equipment a year and a 1/2 ago ! WTF was I thinking holey chit I'm really glad I didn't at this point
Yeah unless you need the money it's worth keeping it on hand. Very cheap insurance

I have one question to ask of those that cast their own. I usually just drop the castings out of the mold onto a large folded towel to soften the drop and let them air cool. Can I drop the castings into a pail of water to cool them before handling them or is that a bad idea?
Not a bad idea at all but it will harden then more than air cooling. If you do this make sure you size them within a few hours. They tend to harden up and in a week you'll have indues putting them through your sizer without bending the handle. Depending on the dropped vs die size of course.
I really didn't even think about the money I had some health issues, that aren't really an issue any more. And wanted some one who needed the stock and equipment to use them for a better purpose than collecting dust on my workbench.
Ahh noble idea.

I have a Lee loadall II for doing 12 guage shotshell reloading. Lots of times when I have told people I reload shotgun I have been asked why. That it was plentiful and not really a time saver or money saver. My answer always was why not, I have the press I have 2-3k red AA hulls and I have the time. SO... today 2 people asked if they could buy some 12 guage from me cause they couldn't stand in line ( and probably don't know about ordering from online suppliers). My answer was No I'm not in the ammunition business. I find it funny that so many people who feel they are so damned smart, aren't smart enough to read about the past and look forward into the future to know it's bound to happen again .
i got into reloading when prices where low and there was no "demand" for ammo. The problem was the limited variety and quantity of the local shops that drove me nuts.

Just found a reminder of why I started reloading in the first place.

The last ones of those I bought was about $9.00 in Wallyworld. $90.00 a case of 1000. Would order 5 cases at a time regularly and get a call when it arrived. Those Were the good old days.

That’s makes three of us for nine tonight. I filled the four seasons box up for the 20th time. Only 2000 more times refilling it to-go until I make my money back on all the overpriced ammo I bought when I first started shooting.

Thanks Obama.

Someday someone will be saying something similar except...

Thanks China.

Finally finished de-priming the tub of 223 and putting the 3rd batch in the tumbler. I don't know how many rounds fit into the big BJ's pretzel jug, but it's a lot. Also took an inventory of components.

Switched over to .45 acp while waiting on powder for .223. I’ve been shooting/loading pistol calibers for awhile and had lost track of .223 component inventory. The powder should be here today, not sure when bullets will arrive.

Hauled a lot of primers, powder, projectiles and plastic ammo boxes out from under my workbench and listed them for sale on NES!

Has the market thinned out so bad that reloading bench sweepings now have demand? [laugh]

"What would you say is good load data for this powder? I've never seen a ball/flake/sphere/rod chimera powder before"

"Oh not more than 2gr in any caliber. This stuff is hot and the cats meow!"

[rofl]

What are your guys preferences on cleaning brass. Wet or dry tumble? I’ll be doing mostly pistol stuff. I’ve read with dry you don’t want to deprime first but with wet you do?
Anyone use the Frankfort Arsenal stuff and if so good or bad?

What are your guys preferences on cleaning brass. Wet or dry tumble? I’ll be doing mostly pistol stuff. I’ve read with dry you don’t want to deprime first but with wet you do?

Dry and I never deprime first because you get debris in the flash hole.

I deprime first and then wet tumble. I find that it cleans primer pockets and flash holes better, which, while not being a huge issue for non match ammo, I still prefer

Back
Top Bottom