What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Went to shooters outpost this afternoon. What a zoo. Picked up 24k Fiocchi pistol primers to split with a couple friends. Never used them before but at $25 per 1k they’re worth trying. Though they’re made in Italy...hopefully corona free...

I have no experience with Fiocchi primers - but I've run some of their factory 9mm and .380 - and it's fine.

Went to shooters outpost this afternoon. What a zoo. Picked up 24k Fiocchi pistol primers to split with a couple friends. Never used them before but at $25 per 1k they’re worth trying. Though they’re made in Italy...hopefully corona free...
I tried to order a part for my SAA clone this weekend. Notified yesterday it's on backorder and a shipment from Italy will take "at least 4-8 weeks."

For my part I have 8 lbs of powder on order. Getting back into IMR4895, gonna try BL-C(2) and also got some Reloder 19 for 6.5x55.
Also processed all my 6.5x55 brass last night.

I tried to order a part for my SAA clone this weekend. Notified yesterday it's on backorder and a shipment from Italy will take "at least 4-8 weeks."

For my part I have 8 lbs of powder on order. Getting back into IMR4895, gonna try BL-C(2) and also got some Reloder 19 for 6.5x55.
Also processed all my 6.5x55 brass last night.
Shooters had all of those powders yesterday. Even in 8# jugs if I recall. No Varget.
Surprised to see popular pistol powders like 2400 bullseye and Titegroup were not in stock. I did see power pistol but that was about it for Alliant pistol powders. Craziness.

I've used Fiocchi SRP and they all go Bang...
Good to know. They only had Fiocchi magnum small rifle yesterday. Does Fiocchi not make a standard rifle primer? Or did shooters sell out? I almost bought some CCI SRP but with the amount of 223 I stole at Walmart plus the components on hand, I’ve got enough to last a few years. I don’t shoot my AR that often so.

Shooters had all of those powders yesterday. Even in 8# jugs if I recall. No Varget.
Surprised to see popular pistol powders like 2400 bullseye and Titegroup were not in stock. I did see power pistol but that was about it for Alliant pistol powders. Craziness.
Yeah, I knew Varget was gonna be out. I wanted to try one of powders everyone seems to recommend for 6.5x55 (4831, 4350, etc.) but could not find them at a few vendors. But this time I snagged two pounds of H335 which I think is now my go-to .223 powder.
I did remember I ordered 5k small rifle primers in January, saved me from buying more.

If the Amherst Shooters starts selling reloading supplies, I could get a nice supply chain in place.

Yeah, I knew Varget was gonna be out. I wanted to try one of powders everyone seems to recommend for 6.5x55 (4831, 4350, etc.) but could not find them at a few vendors. But this time I snagged two pounds of H335 which I think is now my go-to .223 powder.
I did remember I ordered 5k small rifle primers in January, saved me from buying more.

If the Amherst Shooters starts selling reloading supplies, I could get a nice supply chain in place.
Nice. Yeah H335 is my go to powder for 55 gr loads.
Speaking of which, I’m glad I ordered a 1k 55 gr soft points a couple weeks ago. All my online sources are sold out of the bulk Hornady 55’s.

Sorry, I bought the Varget in Jan & Feb from Shooters. They've been out if Titegroup for a while. It was gone mid-Feb before my last trip and I was forced to buy something else.

Speaking of which, I’m glad I ordered a 1k 55 gr soft points a couple weeks ago. All my online sources are sold out of the bulk Hornady 55’s.
For once, I was "smart" and grabbed a bunch of 55 FMJs when I found them for 6 to 8 cents each. I don't load .223 often, but I have probably 5000-8000 projectiles on hand. Plus the 5,400 primers I have, my weak point would be powder (and having to cycle through brass, I don't have 5k brass on hand but can obviously re-size what I do have).

Now, whether--and when--I'll get to shoot the stuff, who knows. Looks like my foray into 3-gun is going to be significantly delayed.

For once, I was "smart" and grabbed a bunch of 55 FMJs when I found them for 6 to 8 cents each. I don't load .223 often, but I have probably 5000-8000 projectiles on hand.
me also. i bought a shitload of those bulk 55 gr fmj's glen use to package up and sell at shows. being cheap, i never seem to be able to toss brass away so i use to come home with all my 223/5.56 stuff and prep it. it's all loaded now...stored in 1/2 gallon tupperware containers.

me also. i bought a shitload of those bulk 55 gr fmj's glen use to package up and sell at shows. being cheap, i never seem to be able to toss brass away so i use to come home with all my 223/5.56 stuff and prep it. it's all loaded now...stored in 1/2 gallon tupperware containers.
If there's two things I have too much of, it's bullets and brass. Since bullets don't have hazmat, anytime I find a deal I grab some. I've got them tucked away everywhere, my desk, bookshelf, basement, just all spread around.

I was "smart" and grabbed a bunch of 55 FMJs when I found them for 6 to 8 cents e
I thought I had plenty of 55 gr FMJBT until I did inventory yesterday of everything I load. Definitely need to find more.

Separately, my SIL came by with some brass for me to load for him and he had some 7.62x39 for an SKS he just bought. He asked if I’d load it if he bought the dies. For those that load this, what powders and projectiles are you using? I have a bunch of manuals to reference, but thought I would check with those that load it as well.

But this time I snagged two pounds of H335 which I think is now my go-to .223 powder.
i use aa2230 for this. 6 or 7 years ago it was scarce so i sourced all i could find. an 8 pounder here...one pound there. when the smoked cleared i had amassed 27 lbs. don't make much sense to use anything else now.

For once, I was "smart" and grabbed a bunch of 55 FMJs when I found them for 6 to 8 cents each. I don't load .223 often, but I have probably 5000-8000 projectiles on hand. Plus the 5,400 primers I have, my weak point would be powder (and having to cycle through brass, I don't have 5k brass on hand but can obviously re-size what I do have).

Now, whether--and when--I'll get to shoot the stuff, who knows. Looks like my foray into 3-gun is going to be significantly delayed.
Damn you’re a lot more stocked than me for 223. Very nice!

Ordered a new set of .45acp dies. My others are packed up in a box somewhere and they were getting old and a bit worn so it was time for replacements.
If this self quarantine lasts a while, at least I'll have something physically constructive to occupy some time in the evenings.

I thought I had plenty of 55 gr FMJBT until I did inventory yesterday of everything I load. Definitely need to find more.

Separately, my SIL came by with some brass for me to load for him and he had some 7.62x39 for an SKS he just bought. He asked if I’d load it if he bought the dies. For those that load this, what powders and projectiles are you using? I have a bunch of manuals to reference, but thought I would check with those that load it as well.

Something like IMR4198 it would be 22-23gr for light 108gr or 21-22gr for heavy 150s.

So basically like 223 realm and you get about 2200 or so rounds out of an 8lb jug.

Scratch that I forgot about another vendor. They got a ton of 55’s in stock. Not Hornady though.

So who’s going to start casting over the next few weeks?
great time to be self sufficient

Such an opportunist ;-)

If there is such a thing as a "casting evangelist"....it's you brother. I still have not taken the plunge....still have take-home's from your seminar two years ago.

Maybe...

Such an opportunist ;-)

If there is such a thing as a "casting evangelist"....it's you brother. I still have not taken the plunge....still have take-home's from your seminar two years ago.

Maybe...
Hahaha. I take that as a compliment.
Maybe I need to set up casting covid-19 seminars

X39 loads easy enough and the “common” 223 powders work
Way back I had a mini mauser in X39
I used 28 grains H4895 and .311 soft points usually winchester and or PPU . Problem with reloading x39 is good brass and cheap bullets dont come around often anymore
I think your lucking to find .310 bullets for much less than 18 cents each

Last edited:
Finally bought my first set of reloading components with the help of a fellow member. Got IMR4895, RMR 147gr FMJBT .30 cals, and Federal 210Ms incoming, along with some R-P once fired .308 brass.

I'm debating between jumping on a single stage press now and getting started ASAP or waiting out the storm and saving up for a progressive press. Ideally, I want to be able to load 500-1000 rounds of .308 a month.

Finally bought my first set of reloading components with the help of a fellow member. Got IMR4895, RMR 147gr FMJBT .30 cals, and Federal 210Ms incoming, along with some R-P once fired .308 brass.

I'm debating between jumping on a single stage press now and getting started ASAP or waiting out the storm and saving up for a progressive press. Ideally, I want to be able to load 500-1000 rounds of .308 a month.

Get a single now.
Short money and you'll always have a use for it.
Good to learn on, not so much for mass production.

Back
Top Bottom