What did you do in the reloading room recently?

ok.. since I got the press re-setup, I did all the case prep... deprimed and resized, cleaned, trimmed, deburred, chamfered, cleaned primer pockets... Then I took an unprimed/uncharged case and played with the seating die a bit. Tried to compare to PPU M1 30-06 and it looks like mine are a bit shorter. I'm seating them just about down to the groove. The Hornady bullet puller is great to use.

I'm using Hornady 150gr .308 cal Interlok (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-308-150-gr-interlock-sp#!/) bullets.

the reloading manuals give MAX trimmed case size and MAX OAL. Is it ok for them to be a smidge shorter?

Haven't even opened the powder jug yet to play with the powder measure.. I've been told to start with 46 grains of IMR 4895.

I just signed up for EC's reloading class on 3/28 so I'm sure I'll get more info there.

TIA.

Once you get all that done and get going on your own a simple single stage small press is a great asset for de-priming and priming or I have one set up with a bullet puller die as a back up if I have to pull a bullet that might be set wrong or I am breaking down a round for some other reason I personally don't care for hammer style bullet pullers. I use them, I just don't much like them though. IMG_20180204_151638_558.jpg

Haven't even opened the powder jug yet to play with the powder measure.. I've been told to start with 46 grains of IMR 4895.

I just signed up for EC's reloading class on 3/28 so I'm sure I'll get more info there.

TIA.

I'm sure you know this but don't rely on what people tell you. Make sure you have the manuals and get used to using them. Heck, I just piked up a manual on how to make my own bullets and guess what, it is loaded with more loading data. Woohoo! Can never have enough manuals that have many proven loads :)

Last edited:
ok.. since I got the press re-setup, I did all the case prep... deprimed and resized, cleaned, trimmed, deburred, chamfered, cleaned primer pockets... Then I took an unprimed/uncharged case and played with the seating die a bit. Tried to compare to PPU M1 30-06 and it looks like mine are a bit shorter. I'm seating them just about down to the groove. The Hornady bullet puller is great to use.

I'm using Hornady 150gr .308 cal Interlok (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/30-cal-308-150-gr-interlock-sp#!/) bullets.

the reloading manuals give MAX trimmed case size and MAX OAL. Is it ok for them to be a smidge shorter?

TIA.
0.010" under is fine and you shouldn't have to trim again for a few times.

Hornady calls out a starting load of 49gn for a Nosler 150gn bt.
46 should be fine with 4895 and save your shoulder some.

This is the data from the Hornady reloading manual. That 150 gr bullet isn't listed. That shouldn't be a problem, right, as long as it's the same caliber, right?

I'm assuming also that H4895 is different than IMR 4895?

Attachments

• 20200312_205803.jpg
    20200312_205803.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200312_205743.jpg
    20200312_205743.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200312_205654.jpg
    20200312_205654.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

TIA.
are you loading for a M1 garand?
Case trim length has a max and a min.
bullet seating depth varies on bullet design

a old rule of thumb is the bullet is seated in the neck ae deep as the cal. So 30-06 .30"
i ran those soft point hornady in my garand for a while. I used up my IMR 4895 years ago and went with varget/H4895 since then. i used the max COL in the hornady manual when I was loading those.
Unless your shooting beyound 200 yards 46 grains of IMR 4895 should be more than enough
i have found with my M1s shooting 200 yard cmp game matches that loads in the low/mid to mid charges has given me the best accuracy along with reduced recoil.

Last edited:
yes... these are the pages from the M1 Garand section of the Hornady book
IIRC mines the 5th edition?
my current go to load is 155 nosler with 44 grains varget or H4895.
Im not to picky on bullets . I buy what ever the good deal is.
The nosler blems have been the best deal and will shoot better than I ever can.

IIRC mines the 5th edition?
my current go to load is 155 nosler with 44 grains varget or H4895.
Im not to picky on bullets . I buy what ever the good deal is.
The nosler blems have been the best deal and will shoot better than I ever can.

I will be getting into reloading for my Garand and 5.56 I cant really find anything local that has some Garand specific loads?

IMR 4895 on line data has one load listed?

looks like you've been doing this 10 yrs now :)

This is the data from the Hornady reloading manual. That 150 gr bullet isn't listed. That shouldn't be a problem, right, as long as it's the same caliber, right?

I'm assuming also that H4895 is different than IMR 4895?
Manual is great to have but the powder manufacturer usually has more info on the specific powder.

Was thinking about something today and realized I missed the announcement of a "milestone" in my reloading endeavors. Last Friday night when I went to the club with my son was the first time ever that I had a range session and brought/shot only reloaded ammunition. .....there was no factory ammo in my range bag. Feels good to have reached the point where I trust my loads are reliable and accurate enough to run just reloaded ammo at the club......and that I have enough stocked up to not worry about using too much of it.

Was thinking about something today and realized I missed the announcement of a "milestone" in my reloading endeavors. Last Friday night when I went to the club with my son was the first time ever that I had a range session and brought/shot only reloaded ammunition. .....there was no factory ammo in my range bag. Feels good to have reached the point where I trust my loads are reliable and accurate enough to run just reloaded ammo at the club......and that I have enough stocked up to not worry about using too much of it.
It is a good feeling.
I feel out of place when I rarely bring a box of factory ammo.

Still looking for powder deals. Would love to grab some 4895, H335, and BL-C(2). With the Varget shortage, not holding my breath.

Going to do up some 6.5x55 tonight/tomorrow.
The Vihta worked well in 8mm. Interesting I didn't detect any smell after firing, unlike some other powders.

Still looking for powder deals. Would love to grab some 4895, H335, and BL-C(2). With the Varget shortage, not holding my breath.

The Vihta worked well in 8mm. Interesting I didn't detect any smell after firing, unlike some other powders.
I have not seen much in the way of deals , midway has free hazmat on powder/primers over $150 had BLC2 in stock, sadly we are at the mercy of ADI for production of alot of the hodgdon powders.
Im not sure how big of a facility ADI has I know at some point in the past 5-10 years they where supposed to be rebuilding the factory? So depending on production runs much like PPU ammo here state side we have to wait until the run comes to our shores and stock up. Buy 2x as much as you think your going to need at min.

theres not much in the way of smokeless powder production out there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTptv55DnvM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZWmjhIFEY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ct3g91PzM8

Also sadly again theres very little smokeless powder made here in the states and as far as I know the government owns all the powder manufacturing facilities ?

Last edited:
I have not seen much in the way of deals , midway has free hazmat on powder/primers over $150 had BLC2 in stock,
Yeah, I think I saw that one. I usually try to pounce when both hazmat and shipping are discounted. I'm not hurting for powder per se, but it's definitely the component I'm thinnest on right now. When one pound gets you about 150 loaded rounds, you can burn through it quickly.

Al's and Glenn's has those powders in stock but I'm not sure of the price...

Ahh yes I forgot
It's a bummer, he's twelve minutes from work and I used to go lunch to grab supplies from time to time. Alas my non-res license is meaningless.
I could see about Shooter's doing the "we'll transport powder from Hooksett for you" route, haven't attempted that yet although Jim has posted a couple times about it. I think someone on here said they were kind of wiped out of powder at the moment though.

Yeah, I think I saw that one. I usually try to pounce when both hazmat and shipping are discounted. I'm not hurting for powder per se, but it's definitely the component I'm thinnest on right now. When one pound gets you about 150 loaded rounds, you can burn through it quickly.
stop buying by the pound...8lb jugs X 2 or 3.
I lost another big buyer of powder in my group buy. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
I just found out. Lots of his stuff went to RIA auction hes not loading for his giggle switch guns any longer which he also sold off. He was good for 100lbs plus each order getting us a good discount.
Now its just 3 of us and we all have plenty of powder at the moment.

I could see about Shooter's doing the "we'll transport powder from Hooksett for you" route, haven't attempted that yet although Jim has posted a couple times about it. I think someone on here said they were kind of wiped out of powder at the moment though.
My buddy picked up 2 8 pound jugs of Varget at Shooters yesterday afternoon. $192 each.

Glenn's is expensive but he's good if you want a pound or 2 to try out.

Just mixed up the last of my case lube. The 12floz iso heat lasted about 3 yrs, the tub of lanolin should last another 10 plus easy image.jpg

We have a new tire bead lube at work that maybe good for case lube. Mon toxic , water soluble and is slick as anything? Its fairly cheap also.

Also been prepping cases for cmp matched
308, 7.5 swiss , 30-06 are done , 303, 8mm and 7.7 jap are next.

My cmp season will be short this year.
Daughter wants to play summer softball and try out for the team to go to states/regional and maybe nationals!
Going to be fun crazy expensive summer

Resized and primed 70 45-70 cases. Loaded up 25 of them with a new load. 34 grains of 3031 behind the 405 RNFP. Won't get to try it for a while though because we are off to ski in Big Sky Montana. I hope Trump shuts down all air travel sometime next week so I can't come back.

Only related to reloading...
Did a 3d model of a bottle adapter for Lee powder drops - Yes, you can buy one for like $10 but I'm a powerful combination of geek and skinflint...

Nice rendering of the model - once I print and verify, I'll post the files to my Thingiverse account. Powder_Drop_Bottle_Adapter.png

Picked up an RCBS pocket swager die set and started processing the massive bag of mixed 556 and 223 brass I’ve been stockpiling and avoiding. Works great. Also picked 2500 55gn projectiles so I can be more productive working from home ;)

Back
Top Bottom