• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Those actually look awesome - did you buy or powder coat yourself?

My daughter would lose it over those
She is turning 21 later this month...
They’re actually brighter in the photos. They’re more of a pink magenta color. But still nice nonetheless.

I bought these already coated.

I’ve been slogging away at ~1000 .223/5.56 cases, that were given to me, for the last couple of days. A lot of time spent getting primer crimps out (at least I’m certain they were 1x fired). On the plus side only about 20% need trimming. Started loading some old inventory of Hornady 55gr FMJBT over 24gr of IMR 4895. Plenty more brass after I load these.

Loaded up another 100 rounds of 45acp yesterday morning. Same pet load of bullseye and 200 grain plates swc recipe I've been using. Went to the club for about an hour last night with my son. Shot 100 45acp and they perform like always. Ragged hole at 25 feet and all in the black at 50 feet. Still have about 600 of these loaded up after shooting them and a box of 500 bullets left to load up. I love this load and making them is easy.

Tested my son's Henry with the zero 158 grain jsp over 12.7 grains 2400. Very accurate and they hit point of aim now. The 38 special version with 9 grains of 2400 hit about 4 inches high at 50 feet. Strange.

and making them is easy.

.45 acp and .45 Colt are my favorite of all the calibers that I load. They are quick and easy to load and the savings are great. That is, once you separate the small and large primer brass in .45 acp.

The 38 special version with 9 grains of 2400 hit about 4 inches high at 50 feet.

Really curious what folks think as to why the .38 spl shot higher than the .357. Was there a noticeable difference in muzzle lift with the .38 spl vs. .357? I'm surprised at 4" difference at only 50' as well. IIRC, I read something quite awhile ago (don't recall where or by whom) about the lower velocity rounds having more residence time in the barrel and causing more recoil or muzzle rise. That was based on sighting in on the higher velocity round first. I didn't buy it when I read it and never tested it out, but I wonder if your results kind of support that theory???? I would've thought the lower velocity would shoot lower, but who knows. I've only shot .357 out of my Henry. Maybe I should try to put some .357/.38 reloads together and see if I get a similar result. That will have to wait a bit though, since I'm still chugging along on other calibers.

.45 acp and .45 Colt are my favorite of all the calibers that I load. They are quick and easy to load and the savings are great. That is, once you separate the small and large primer brass in .45 acp.

Really curious what folks think as to why the .38 spl shot higher than the .357. Was there a noticeable difference in muzzle lift with the .38 spl vs. .357? I'm surprised at 4" difference at only 50' as well. IIRC, I read something quite awhile ago (don't recall where or by whom) about the lower velocity rounds having more residence time in the barrel and causing more recoil or muzzle rise. That was based on sighting in on the higher velocity round first. I didn't buy it when I read it and never tested it out, but I wonder if your results kind of support that theory???? I would've thought the lower velocity would shoot lower, but who knows. I've only shot .357 out of my Henry. Maybe I should try to put some .357/.38 reloads together and see if I get a similar result. That will have to wait a bit though, since I'm still chugging along on other calibers.
Heavier bullets hit higher in my snub revolver. I equate this as dwell to the time spent in the barrel during recoil.

This may be the reason for a higher impact point on the rifle with 38 vs 357 as well.....but the recoil with 38 through the rifle is almost non existent. It's lighter than 22lr

Not sure. But it's a consistent pattern. 38s hit much higher in the Henry carbine.

just about all set up to get started..
View attachment 334935

well.. epic fail.. that box I built didn't hold up to the stress of the press. The pine cracked.. I didn't think I'd have to press so hard to resize some of the brass. so I had an old aquarium stand made of 2x wood that I repurposed into a makeshift holder for the press and powder drop.. So I resized and decapped about 100 rds of 30-06 that Stape graciously sent to me, then ran them thru the sonic cleaner.. now on to priming, loading, and seating..

well.. epic fail.. that box I built didn't hold up to the stress of the press. The pine cracked.. I didn't think I'd have to press so hard to resize some of the brass. so I had an old aquarium stand made of 2x wood that I repurposed into a makeshift holder for the press and powder drop.. So I resized and decapped about 100 rds of 30-06 that Stape graciously sent to me, then ran them thru the sonic cleaner.. now on to priming, loading, and seating..
I had the same problem with my lee single stage when I set it up. I have an old oak teachers desk in the basement. The top is one inch thick oak.....which is good. But ...I didn't want to drill into it to mount the press so i laid a piece of thinner pine over the top and left it over hanging enough to mount the press.....and used c clamps to hold the pine to the top of the desk. Worked for about an hour and the pine cracked.

I solved it by using a 2x4 and laying that over the top of the desk and c clamping it in the back and front and leaving it overhanging enough to drill in and mount the press to the 2x4. It's solid as a rock now. You can see the 2x4 in the pic has a c clamp to the left rear of the press.....and a c clamp on the back by the wall. It doesn't move at all when working the press. The c clamps make it possible to reposition the press when if and when I want to......and I have not ruined the desk top

20200218_162626.jpg

Uh oh!
Make sure you lube the brass well.

The things I do for my wife...
View attachment 336816
Pink Eggleston Bullets.
The wife and I hit the range today. Went through quite a bit of ammo. But the 124 gr pink bullets over 3.8 gr of Sport Pistol ran well.
Can’t say the same for the CCI clean 22 ammo. Stuff was keyholing out of the SR22. Lots of failures to feed in my AR22 also. Glad I only bought one container.
5A47064F-649A-4410-A4E7-FE9DEC607811.jpeg 83E55483-EEE3-48CC-81B2-717A74BEFA88.jpeg

The wife and I hit the range today. Went through quite a bit of ammo. But the 124 gr pink bullets over 3.8 gr of Sport Pistol ran well.
Can’t say the same for the CCI clean 22 ammo. Stuff was keyholing out of the SR22. Lots of failures to feed in my AR22 also. Glad I only bought one container.
View attachment 337142View attachment 337143
I had a problem with federal "bring your own bullets" ammo last night. I picked up a tub a few weeks ago and tried it last night through the single 10 and markiii.

Total junk. 1 out of every 10 was a keyhole flyer. Big difference in report round to round. That tub will sit in the back of the safe now. Total Garbage.

710807_ts.jpg

I had the same problem with my lee single stage when I set it up. I have an old oak teachers desk in the basement. The top is one inch thick oak.....which is good. But ...I didn't want to drill into it to mount the press so i laid a piece of thinner pine over the top and left it over hanging enough to mount the press.....and used c clamps to hold the pine to the top of the desk. Worked for about an hour and the pine cracked.

I solved it by using a 2x4 and laying that over the top of the desk and c clamping it in the back and front and leaving it overhanging enough to drill in and mount the press to the 2x4. It's solid as a rock now. You can see the 2x4 in the pic has a c clamp to the left rear of the press.....and a c clamp on the back by the wall. It doesn't move at all when working the press. The c clamps make it possible to reposition the press when if and when I want to......and I have not ruined the desk top

View attachment 337093
I have a similar set up The Bench Plate - Lee Precision is great for these needs. Im actually trying to make space along a useless wall to hang my presses on when not in use.

View attachment 337142View attachment 337143
measure some of those 22lr, key holing in 22lr is usually a bullet/bore fit issue?
Would not surprise me one bit if the coated 22lr are getting poor Obturation ?
pull one of those coated 22lr down is the base open ?
check your throat and crown on that 22lr also

Last edited:
measure some of those 22lr, key holing in 22lr is usually a bullet/bore fit issue?
Yeah I think you’re right. It was roughly one in every mag that would keyhole.

I figured it’s probably an issue with that new polymer coating they use? The diameter of the bullet/coating thickness probably isn’t very consistent? Dunno.

I pulled all my family's PMAGs this weekend and reloaded them all with hand loaded 77gr Sierra, Varget and never fired brass. We were zeroing two new rifles and I realized it was getting out of control with shooting different gear at different times and how many types of ammo (most of it 55gr but multiple vendors and my reloads scattered about). I also numbered them all in order to track them for any malfunctions, which was a daunting task by itself.

JFC there was a lot of mags and my thumbs hurt now. But, now I have a few 50cal cans full of mixed ammo to use for training and we know any mag we grab has exactly the same ammo. I'm so glad I bought a few of the Lula loaders a while back. I don't use them normally, but they made emptying all the mags relatively quick and very easy. If I had to hand strip a few thousand rounds of ammo I probably would never have starter.

Secretly hoping I get official home office soon so I can knock out more 77gr and then start on the 55gr training ammo to build more stock.

350 cases of 7.62 NATO prepped.
Makarov next.
Hoping to load some 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser this week.
OK, some Makarov done so that I can shoot an entry in Maj Spud's pistol postal.
Also did up 30 rounds of 8mm Mauser (checked my spreadsheet, the K98's been sitting longer than the m96/38) using Viht for the first time.

Cracked open the N140. Loaded pretty easily, we'll see how it does.

Last edited:
Would not surprise me one bit if the coated 22lr are getting poor Obturation ?
pull one of those coated 22lr down is the base open ?
check your throat and crown on that 22lr also
Seems like they’re measuring about .222" while mini mags and SV are .224"

Took 2 vacay days, use it or lose it.
Did a burn
That many wheel weights, got me that much soup, got me that many pucks.

Attachments

• EF161A8E-7198-47E0-8E4F-EDC48FC158D5.jpeg
    EF161A8E-7198-47E0-8E4F-EDC48FC158D5.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DDCE8801-E6B5-4BDD-90BD-4ECEC6C88297.jpeg
    DDCE8801-E6B5-4BDD-90BD-4ECEC6C88297.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3A2506A8-3C3C-4400-86A6-A43341561077.jpeg
    3A2506A8-3C3C-4400-86A6-A43341561077.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom