• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What can I do in MA?

Oh man, I had some JNCO jeans. Frayed them just right so they didn't get caught in my rollerblades at skating rink. Tried my hand at Pogs for a time, too. You guys are bringing back memories.

I think I was too old for Pogs in the 90's, but they were everywhere at one point that you couldn't miss them. Kind of the beanie babies of the 90's.

You can, and honestly on an M5 you're better off just buying it stripped so you can figure out what stock you want, etc... not everyone wants a PRS.
yeah, i want to do it eventually - an aero M5E1 in .308. i am still concerned very much of how it all will evolve, but, we all will see, i guess.

NES Aero Whore here checking in, no, they're not billet, they're actually forged, they just look (and work) damned good.
Touche. I have no idea if there are forged 80s with the additional features. I also think it's kind of moot. Installing a trigger guard is probably the easiest part of building a lower. And if a flare is that important, one could even add one (though less aggressive) to a mil-spec forged 80%.

'better' - 'proper'. :) dunno, it is way too much work for me, and, i think, for most.
i would rather just pay $559 and wouldn't have to deal with all that. :(
Again, define "proper." You keep using that word, but it doesn't actually mean anything to me in either context.

Also, where did I say this is the solution for everyone? I said I found a solution that works for me. It's the result of my training and experience. Based on said background, I'm happy to DIY. Not everyone is into the DIY route, this is totally true. In fact, it may be true that "most people" aren't.

Meanwhile the OP asked what he's allowed to do without defining his limitations, so we have no reason to assume that he's opposed to it. The simple reality is that finishing a lower, then assembling it, is completely within the reach of anyone that built a birdhouse in middle school. There are absolutely extra tooling costs associated, but with a username like "Slant6," he might even already own some of them.

Touche. I have no idea if there are forged 80s with the additional features. I also think it's kind of moot. Installing a trigger guard is probably the easiest part of building a lower. And if a flare is that important, one could even add one (though less aggressive) to a mil-spec forged 80%.

Lol, I wouldn't say that, it's fraught with peril because it involves hammering, which sucks. Main reason most of my lowers are Aero is because of NO HAMMERING. Although I managed to hammer that stupid f***ing roll pin in on an LMT trigger guard the other night while smoking a cigar in my office and drinking and didn't f*** it up, it came out nice. I think anyone can handle that, if they have roll pin punches. I used a cigar box to support the ears. [rofl]

Lol, I wouldn't say that, it's fraught with peril because it involves hammering, which sucks. Main reason most of my lowers are Aero is because of NO HAMMERING. Although I managed to hammer that stupid f***ing roll pin in on an LMT trigger guard the other night while smoking a cigar in my office and drinking and didn't f*** it up, it came out nice. I think anyone can handle that, if they have roll pin punches. I used a cigar box to support the ears. [rofl]
I'll be honest, I hate roll pins; they can be incredibly frustrating.

But I feel like you all but made my point. You argue that it's hard because it requires hammering, then you say that you managed to not cock it up while drinking. So it doesn't even require complete attention from someone that considers hammers to be an increased level of difficulty.

If you get one of the ones with a screw, there's no springs or tiny detents to go flying across the room. You don't have to worry about properly torquing anything down. You don't have to figure out how to keeping a screw on the head of your driver as you reach into the dark recesses of the grip. You're not driving parallel to the long face on the receiver, scared of scratching the coating. The hardest part is holding everything still while you do it.

Other than a drop-in trigger group, what's easier?

I'll be honest, I hate roll pins; they can be incredibly frustrating.

But I feel like you all but made my point. You argue that it's hard because it requires hammering, then you say that you managed to not cock it up while drinking. So it doesn't even require complete attention from someone that considers hammers to be an increased level of difficulty.

If you get one of the ones with a screw, there's no springs or tiny detents to go flying across the room. You don't have to worry about properly torquing anything down. You don't have to figure out how to keeping a screw on the head of your driver as you reach into the dark recesses of the grip. You're not driving parallel to the long face on the receiver, scared of scratching the coating. The hardest part is holding everything still while you do it.

Other than a drop-in trigger group, what's easier?
Installing the magazine release. [rofl]

Is that a thing? My 10/22 might be pre '94...
Lol. It was tongue-in-cheek, but a folding buttstock may be an issue... not entirely sure...

Has 3 evil features: Folding stock, pistol grip, detach mag, so... looks fine to me. [rofl2]

Always liked the Butler Creek...

1609356466658.png

Last edited:
NES Aero Whore here checking in, no, they're not billet, they're actually forged, they just look (and work) damned good.

But yes, a careful, skilled guy (or lady) can make a decent product out of an 80. I've seen some great builds before. They don't all have to be roughly hewn shit out of a skinflint 80% andersen clone lower. I'm too lazy to do that shit so I just buy mine. I'm not "detail oriented" when it comes to stuff like that. Unless some guy says "hey just put the laser here and clamp it tightly and press the GO button" I would end up f***ing something like that up badly.

+1 - when you look in my safes it's like I'm an Aero sales rep or something. They just make generally damn good stuff, especially the enhanced lowers.

Elbows waaaaay too pointy.
96e34ca84af464a9a84753e1a297642c.jpg

And OBTW,
"The bone is for the dog, and the meat is for the man".

Reading this gave me cancer
It gave me Forrest Whittaker eye.
maxresdefault.jpg

Call (617)854-8100 They will tell u exactly what you need to do. If they can’t help you out just ask for Maura Marsha.👍🏻
FTFY.

I want to build a Pre-Ban Ruger 10/22... in Massachusetts.
It was tongue-in-cheek, but a folding buttstock may be an issue... not entirely sure...

Has 3 evil features: Folding stock, pistol grip, detach mag, so... looks fine to me. [rofl2]
It's got a felony mag!

So build a nice fixed mag lower AWB compliant AR.
Not speaking as an instructor, but a fed up citizen:
Without reading the rest of the responses, this, get a preban (a true ‘94 one), or say f*** it, and do hood rat shit and apply any version of federal interpretation you desire because you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Especially with Biden getting in.

Back
Top Bottom