• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What can I do in MA?

Not really. Once someone gets a lower, its pretty much up to them to build the gun right. Most of the, uh, "less good" ARs I see on here come more from a lack of understanding of what a good AR is. Like guys who put 5-25x56 scopes on a 16" carbine and their gun club has a rifle range of only 100 yards.
I am here to listen to you.

Go to cypresswood pawn shop in texas and keep your eyes open. Ive bought 2 pre ban colts down there in the last year both unfired and one in box, $1200 and $1400. Also a couole of pawn shop just outside fayetville. N.C. that sell some cheap ones. Start your build from there.

Another one came in yesterday. 1400. Good idea to keep in touch with the old military buddies.

Attachments

• 20210223_155451.jpg
    20210223_155451.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 47
What does moving to a free state have to do with putting together a quality rifle in Mass? I have more than a handful of quality rifles.
This. As a mass resident, our laws have not prevented me from building, shooting and achieving marksmanship goals with an AR15 rifle. Last I checked, quality barrels, triggers, scope mounts, optics, etc are not illegal here. Also, don't be fooled by or think you need fancy uppers, lowers and even bolt carrier groups. They just need to work.

This. As a mass resident, our laws have not prevented me from building, shooting and achieving marksmanship goals with an AR15 rifle. Last I checked, quality barrels, triggers, scope mounts, optics, etc are not illegal here. Also, don't be fooled by or think you need fancy uppers, lowers and even bolt carrier groups. They just need to work.
Im not saying you’re wrong, but you’re certainly not 100% right either.
You don’t need top shelf I’ll agree, but try to buy better than PSA stuff too.

Im not saying you’re wrong, but you’re certainly not 100% right either.
You don’t need top shelf I’ll agree, but try to buy better than PSA stuff too.
Sorry, the scope of my comment was referring to stripped uppers and lowers - not pre-built assemblies. As long as everything is in spec, they are GTG.

Is PSA really that bad?

My first complete upper was a psa, they aren’t “bad”. Good enough to complete your first rifle if you can’t afford anything else. Just don’t expect 1 moa groups

Sorry, the scope of my comment was referring to stripped uppers and lowers - not pre-built assemblies. As long as everything is in spec, they are GTG.

This may have been said earlier, but "good" is defined by someone's expectations for the gun.

For some people, 3-4MOA is perfectly fine and they might not even notice if they shoot within 25-50 yards normally. Military-issue M4s are, what, 2-4MOA? Which isn't that much different from what was expected in WW2 with a M1 or K98k, ignoring outliers.

Competition guns are also totally different. A 3-gun AR is extremely different from a CMP AR.

Polymer monolitic lowers are becoming a thing for making ARs ridiculously light, as Eugene Stoner intended. That's not available in Mass.

Anyways, I don't think OP's following this thread anymore, he went kind of nutty and started saying things like his kids hate him. Haven't heard from him in awhile, thankfully. Edit: he's made his decision and he doesn't want to discuss it [laugh]

I was browsing through M.G.L. it looks like “copies or duplicates” has indeed been added to the definition of an “assault rifle” -

therefore chapter 140, section 131m comes into question on the legality here.

So here’s the question- I was always under the impression Maura’s bs was not written into MGL- but it appears it is? Are new builds simply able to be owned/built due to this simply not being enforced, but technically according to MGL not “legal” ?

Copies and duplicates terminology was in the federal ban and had clear interpretation.
Mass ban is a copy of the federal ban so brings the interpretation of terms with it.

Copies and duplicates terminology was in the federal ban and had clear interpretation.
Mass ban is a copy of the federal ban so brings the interpretation of terms with it.
Yup. If MA wanted all AR type rifles banned, the MA legislature would have changed the language of the law in 1998.

I was browsing through M.G.L. it looks like “copies or duplicates” has indeed been added to the definition of an “assault rifle” -

So here’s the question- I was always under the impression Maura’s bs was not written into MGL- but it appears it is? Are new builds simply able to be owned/built due to this simply not being enforced, but technically according to MGL not “legal” ?
The thing is that the interpretation of the definitions of “copy” and “duplicate” have long been a strict interpretation meaning copies and duplicates of the “Colt AR-15” would need to have a flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and/or a telescoping stock. Because at the time of the ban, the “Colt AR-15” was in that configuration. We now use the term “AR-15” pretty broadly, but the law was written for a very specific firearm. And if you have a feature compliant rifle, it’s no longer a copy or duplicate of that specific firearm.

This strict interpretation of the definitions existed in 1998 when the state decided to cite the federal law for the state AWB. In 1998 the legislature had the chance to broaden those definitions if they wanted to. But they didn’t. They only wanted to remove the sunset.

Last edited:
The thing is that the interpretation of the definitions of “copy” and “duplicate” have long been a strict interpretation meaning copies and duplicates of the “Colt AR-15” would need to have a flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and/or a telescoping stock. Because at the time of the ban, the “Colt AR-15” was in that configuration. We now use the term “AR-15” pretty broadly, but the law was written for a very specific firearm. And if you have a feature compliant rifle, it’s no longer a copy or duplicate of that specific firearm.

This strict interpretation of the definitions existed in 1998 when the state decided to cite the federal law for the state AWB. In 1998 the legislature had the chance to broaden those definitions if they wanted to. But they didn’t. They only wanted to remove the sunset.
Appreciate the clarification! Makes far more sense, in a nonsensical kind of way...

Tucker carlson voice: "No, its not"

tuckers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom