• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What bullet should I use for accuracy?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
I have been reloading SHTF ammo for a while now but would like to start loading rounds for accuracy/competition. What is a good bullet to start with? I am using it in an AR 15.

Depends on how accurate you need to be. I've been using Berry's 55gr FMJBT and they're surprisingly accurate for the cost. If you need tack driving bullets, start looking at heavier stuff or maybe VLDs, although I've never tried putting something like that through an automatic. I'm a big fan of Berger bullets, so grab something and try it.

Distance you want it to be effective? Barrel twist?

My 16" 1:7 loves 75-77gr in all manufacturers I've tried, but 200 yards and under I can run reloaded any weight just as accurate.

If you're looking at HP events there's a few very good shooters here that can provide more insight.

Just bought an M&P 15 SPORT and thought I might try some competition for fun, Marshfield military shoot this weekend? I am sure there will be guys with 10X the money I spent on my M&P who will make me look silly but that doesnt bother me, I just want to have fun. I have no idea what distances they shoot. Just wanted to show up with some respectable ammo for the first go at it.

Sounds like the top guys bring different ammo configurations for the different yards at each event?

Last edited:
If you are going to shoot HIGH Power even just for fun you will need a heavy bullet and a fast twist to get to 600 and be consistent. Most of the guys use Hornady 75grn BTHP Match or Sierra BTHP Match bullets. Both are great bullets and work very well. I am using Hornady 75 and they out shoot me. My RRA really like them. If staying under 200 yards then you can use just about anything like the other fellow said. Even Wolf has worked fro me at 200.Just my 2 cents

Dave S. Capitol City RPC Maine

^^^ all good advice

barrel length and twist will determine what you can shoot, and how far you can effectively shoot it. 55gr fodder? almost anything will shoot it well out to 200-300yards. much beyond that and you're gonna want some weight.

i run 77gr sierra match kings myself, got 3 guns set up, one with a 1:7.5 douglas, one with a 1:7 wilson (WOA), and one with a 1:6.5 kreiger. they're all hammers.

i *dont* recommend getting anything with a 1:9. the 1:7's will do everything the 1:9's will do (except the <50gr varmint bullets), and a WHOLE lot more.

If you are going to shoot HIGH Power even just for fun you will need a heavy bullet and a fast twist to get to 600 and be consistent. Most of the guys use Hornady 75grn BTHP Match or Sierra BTHP Match bullets. Both are great bullets and work very well. I am using Hornady 75 and they out shoot me. My RRA really like them. If staying under 200 yards then you can use just about anything like the other fellow said. Even Wolf has worked fro me at 200.Just my 2 cents

Dave S. Capitol City RPC Maine

+1 ON Sierra Match King bullets.

I have only been reloading for my AR for al little over a year. In the beginning I used hornady 55 grain bulk bullets. I was shooting out of a stag h2. Just reloading with those bullets and 4895 powder+cci 41 primers gave me more consistant groups over federal 193 and wolf. To my surprise wolf gold performed very good.
when I purchased my RRA national march with 1/8 twist I purchased 68&75 grain hornady match. Which even @ 100 yards off the rest showed huge gains. I still load 55s for use in my standard rra model a2 and my stag h2. I cant wait until I can get out to reading. See if "I " can perform as well or close to my rifle and ammo. Heck I will be happy to be on paper when. I get to 600.
I

Back
Top Bottom