• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a solid .308 M5 barrel.

I checked all the obvious “free” stuff. And I’m only chucking $200 at it for a barrel.

So I’m not going crazy.

I’ve been shooting most of my life and a mechanical engineer.

So yes, I started with the obvious stuff and ended up with the barrel.

The brake was a huge offender at first. Which I point out as trying things one by one.

To make sure it was not me sucking, I had @Broc shoot it. And I saw his man bun caliber groups. So even he could not get good groups. And as you know, he IS a sniper!

We crono’d my match ammo and it was within 10 fps over 5 shots.

Last edited:
So just want to add. Scope is a decent one. I used a torque driver for the mounting clamp screws and a good scope mount. So unless I got a defective scope, I eliminated that from the list. Especially as the groups got better after I removed the brake.

I see a post yesterday where you bought another BA barrel? I didn’t see a pic of your groups? =/

Let us know the results
I never had a pic of the groups. I should have.

I won’t have the BA barrel for a while as I had it shipped to nh. I have to get it, install it and test it.

Update. Picked up the barrel tonight. Probably install it over the weekend

Probably won’t see a range for a while. Sigh.

I also picked up (another) Timney (3.5 lb single stage) trigger. To replace the crappy LPK one I installed.

So the barrel nut in the original barrel is stupid tight.

Anyone know of anyone who can swap out my barrel safely?

I cannot lock the upper or lower to be able to wrench it off.

Attachments

• IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
No.
You do NOT want to hold the upper.

You want a barrel extension that goes in the vice.
Something like this: Knight's Armament Barrel Extension Wrench 5.56/7.62 | Rooftop Defense

An upper vice block is to install a rail NOT a barrel. Please don’t vice the upper receiver, it’s not designed for that torque.
Right. This is why I’m looking to see if I can find help or a good alternative

This is why I did not use the vices on the upper. Lol.

The upper vice blocks ARE for installing barrels… I’m confused?

Rails/hand guards etc. are simple to attach/renove. Took mine off with a T-15 torx bit.

Last edited:
No.
You do NOT want to hold the upper.

You want a barrel extension that goes in the vice.
Something like this: Knight's Armament Barrel Extension Wrench 5.56/7.62 | Rooftop Defense

An upper vice block is to install a rail NOT a barrel. Please don’t vice the upper receiver, it’s not designed for that torque.

this is from the wheeler site

IMG_7631.jpeg IMG_7630.png

The barrel extension wrench only locks the barrel in place. You use that for torquing muzzle devices.

I think you have the two mixed up. IMG_7634.jpeg 🔝

Last edited:
Have not seen that Wheeler block, I use the Magpul as it grabs both the bbl & receiver.

I did think you were stuck w the muzzle brake not the barrel nut. Normally you use aero grease to put the barrel nut on and it’s fairly easy to come off whereas the muzzle devices often get rocktite.

Mea culpa

Have not seen that Wheeler block, I use the Magpul as it grabs both the bbl & receiver.

I did think you were stuck w the muzzle brake not the barrel nut. Normally you use aero grease to put the barrel nut on and it’s fairly easy to come off whereas the muzzle devices often get rocktite.

Mea culpa

No worries.

I have and have used the upper vice block on a few of my builds to install barrels.

My M5 barrel nut is on pretty tight. So I need a better way to loosen it and then with the new barrel, tighten it.

The profile of the upper is obviously too big for the block.

So I’m looking for a better way to hold it and not just half ass it.

The difficulty with AR308’s is the lack of an industry standard.

A PSA upper won’t match an Aero lower or a DD. The internal parts are pretty standard but receivers & rails are … divergent.

A couple hardwood blocks and maybe a bit of heat, just use a reasonable amount of discretion and don't get too heavy handed...

ar upper blocks.JPG

A PSA upper won’t match an Aero lower or a DD. The internal parts are pretty standard but receivers & rails are … divergent.

Mine is all the DPMS pattern. So that’s all sorted.

A couple hardwood blocks and maybe a bit of heat, just use a reasonable amount of discretion and don't get too heavy handed...

View attachment 837139
You know? I never thought to put it in a vice like that!!!!

Brilliant.

Have torch. Can heat it no prob.

Easy enough to remove my optic as I got to re zero it anyway.

I might have an offer to borrow a .308 reaction rod. If it does not come to be and no other options. I might consider that.

Mine is all the DPMS pattern. So that’s all sorted.

That’s a pattern not a standard. You can’t switch uppers & lowers like on an AR15.

DPMS “pattern” is more of an agreement on internals and doesn’t affect the receivers or rails for whatever reason. They are close but not interchangeable.

That’s a pattern not a standard. You can’t switch uppers & lowers like on an AR15.

DPMS “pattern” is more of an agreement on internals and doesn’t affect the receivers or rails for whatever reason. They are close but not interchangeable.
Yup. I said pattern above…

Correct. There is no “standard”.

This is also why I’m calling mine an M5 and not an AR-10.

Ok. Got the tools I need to swap out the barrel

Once done I’ll report back and hopefully get to the range and verify it was the barrel and my new results

You replaced one Aero with another, I don’t follow the logic path.
Seriously? Can you offer some real help?

I opened this thread up for barrel recommendations. I got a ton of check this, check that.

I wanted a new barrel recommendation ONLY

After a lot of arm chair gun smith advice, I just got a new barrel. Had I known at the time BA and Areo were the same company I would have not bought one.

You above did not even understand the difference between an upper vice block and a barrel extension (as noted above)

So while I appreciate any and all advice, please note that you are not being helpful

And to add, I know the differences between the different .308 patterns… AND I was NOT asking any of that.

I wanted a barrel recommendation. Not a discussion on anything else.

Thanks for trying.

That has NOTHING to do with my accuracy issue.

Please stay on topic

Back
Top Bottom