• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand without a "P" proof on the stock? Anyone know why?

I have a DCM (CMP) M1 with a 4/43 receiver and a 11/44 barrel with all other parts correct. It never had a P on the stock and if anyone knows why, please let me know.Thanks

I am no expert but perhaps not the original stock. Others will correct me in short order if I am incorrect.

Anyway welcome to the forum and think about joining as a member.

Most Garand stocks are going to be replacement stocks, even if old. There are many sources of stocks, both domestic and foreign. Overton was a common source for rebuild stocks and those might not feature a proof mark. Are there any other marks? Anything written or stamped inside the stock such as on the barrel inlet? Sometimes external marks can be very light and you might need to look in bright sunlight to find them, or if the wood is very dry you might need to apply some BLO or similar to bring them out.

There's a 'milsurps' forum here. You have to scroll down towards the bottom of the forums list to find it. I suggest posting a pic.

The cartouches are often very worn and some only exists as looking like dirty lines.
The stock could have been replaced out side a rebuild program
Or even replaced while in foreign hands. Sanded down , ect ect

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the P was punched in on an original rifle after it was proof fired or accepted into service. When a stock cracked or broke, they just put another stock on it; no need to "proof" the rifle again?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the P was punched in on an original rifle after it was proof fired or accepted into service. When a stock cracked or broke, they just put another stock on it; no need to "proof" the rifle again?
I think if the rifle went through. Over haul at a US depot it got stamped again . Its not unusual to have a un stamped M1 stock.

Back
Top Bottom