• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheepdog PRS Rimfire 14 April

Looks like a fantastic venue in the Catskills of NY.
I'll be heading up on Saturday to avoid driving into a ditch at 5am Sunday morning.
Reach out if you'd like to carpool up from Boston.

Awesome venue, owners and MD. They did a ton of work last year after that video was made to host a PRS 2-day national match (centerfire) and they're hosting another one this year in July. It's even better now. You'll have a blast.

I just got back from this match and it was a great time. The drive was easy but long. Straight shot out the Mass Pike West for 3 hours from Metro West.

Competitors were friendly and VERY willing to help someone new. It was funny hearing the rimfire PRS guys talk smack about the centerfire guys.

First match since trying out PRS that I felt I was building good positions. I believe it caused some issues with feeding and extraction, as the bag would put just enough pressure on the mag to cause some hiccups.

Squad was fantastic. Just the right mix of comedy and helpful tips. I think this is true across the board. It’s no wonder the sport is growing as quickly as it is.

Venue is picturesque. Must be quite the show during autumn. Don’t follow the gps route. Stick to the main road all the way to the end.

First match since trying out PRS that I felt I was building good positions. I believe it caused some issues with feeding and extraction, as the bag would put just enough pressure on the mag to cause some hiccups.

Squad was fantastic. Just the right mix of comedy and helpful tips. I think this is true across the board. It’s no wonder the sport is growing as quickly as it is.

Venue is picturesque. Must be quite the show during autumn. Don’t follow the gps route. Stick to the main road all the way to the end.
Look at the GrayOps CNC bag stops

I always positioned the bag ahead of the mag.

Is this wrong. The gun certainly balances better to the rear of where I had the bag. But I didn't bother putting the bag farther back because I figured the mag would introduce instability. I use a game changer bag and smaller flat bag about 8 x 3 x 2.

I set my rifles up so that they balance about 4-5” in front of magwell that way it’s perfectly centered over my schmedium bag. The bag stop will let you crowd the mag without binding it.

I set my rifles up so that they balance about 4-5” in front of magwell that way it’s perfectly centered over my schmedium bag. The bag stop will let you crowd the mag without binding it.
What you are describing requires either a very long and heavy barrel and/or lots of weights on the forend.

Which I'm guessing you have. I'm just getting started and am not quite there yet. Even though aftermarket barrels in PRS Rimfire can run to 26", buying anything with an OEM barrel much over 18" is pretty much impossible.

I've got some weights that I'll be adding to the front of my MDT stock.

1713250699487.jpeg

What you are describing requires either a very long and heavy barrel and/or lots of weights on the forend.

Which I'm guessing you have. I'm just getting started and am not quite there yet. Even though aftermarket barrels in PRS Rimfire can run to 26", buying anything with an OEM barrel much over 18" is pretty much impossible.

I've got some weights that I'll be adding to the front of my MDT stock.

View attachment 873270
Throw bunch of weights on that bad girl and let her eat. A well balanced rifle will pay dividends.

Throw bunch of weights on that bad girl and let her eat. A well balanced rifle will pay dividends.
I am sure you are right.

Rather than spend big bucks on weights, I just bought 2 of these. I'll secure them to the front of the forend with m-loc screws and nuts. I'm still deciding if I want to cantilever them to project beyond the forend and flush with the extended Arca rail.

that’s a good start. Don’t be afraid to hack up some steel or brass and screw them to the sides.

that’s a good start. Don’t be afraid to hack up some steel or brass and screw them to the sides.
Thanks. I'm in the exploration phase and am also building up a CZ 457.

I'll be getting a PDC Custom chassis for the 457. They are the only company that makes a Left Handed 457 chassis.
And its a really nice chassis for the money.

Their weight kit is VERY VERY reasonably priced. So with that I'll probably not go the DIY route.

Back
Top Bottom