• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Rimfire matches at Monument Beach begin this year

slipknot

NES Member
Monument Beach Sportsman's Club will be hosting some rimfire prs matches this year so if you have not tried it, here is another location to give it a try. It is a lot of fun, if you are not familiar, it is a positional type of match with the added stressor of a time limit of about 1:45 for each stage with 6 to 12 rounds each. Some stages include movement, some do not. The ones that do not usually have multiple target distances. Props to shoot from vary widely and can be prone up to kneeling to standing with rifle support on a barricade or some other prop. The club has up to a 300 yard range and we can try to have up to 9 stages. A decent 22. rimfire or even an air rifle with a scope capable of hitting steel targets from 1 MOA up to 3 or so MOA in size along with some reasonably accurate ammo is what you need. There are ballistic APP's to aid in finding the correct DOPE for the various target distances so it is not necessary to have to buy a Kestrel.
I would like to have 3 matches this year minimum. It is the intention to register them in time to qualify for Precision Rifle Series points for rimfire. I have to schedule around dates for other matches. I am thinking it should be on Sundays as that works well at the other ranges also. Targets have been ordered, so along with some targets that the club has already, we should be set to go soon. I hope we can get a match in March. The matches are usually done before traffic picks up in the summer. Hopefully there is enough interest in this so we can get a decent number of attendance and keep it going. I look forward to running some fun, competitive matches for everyone.

Monument Beach Sportsman's Club
199 MacArthur Blvd
Monument Beach, MA 02553

March 24
. April 28
. August 11​

Last edited:
Way to go my man! Reach out if you have any questions or need some templates for your COF. I also have some connects for discounts on Rimfire targets.

Looking forward to shooting one of your matches. Don't get me jammed up in traffic.

Way to go my man! Reach out if you have any questions or need some templates for your COF. I also have some connects for discounts on Rimfire targets.

Looking forward to shooting one of your matches. Don't get me jammed up in traffic.
THANKS! I will hit you up for sure Biggie
I got this pack of targets Match Target Package (WITH BASES)
along with some wider wind targets and some extensions. They are supposed to be impossible to knock off the hooks, I'm sure you will try your best.

no traffic, maybe 3 minutes at the bridge in the afternoon during summer.

Don’t tempt me into building one of these… I’ll just tell the wife we’re going to the Cape😂

THANKS! I will hit you up for sure Biggie
I got this pack of targets Match Target Package (WITH BASES)
along with some wider wind targets and some extensions. They are supposed to be impossible to knock off the hooks, I'm sure you will try your best.

no traffic, maybe 3 minutes at the bridge in the afternoon during summer.
Never heard of those guys. Very similar to what we use at our place.

To register we usually sign up on Practiscore.com (it is free, just sign up there for an account if you don't have one) or just show up day of match an see me the match director, Bruce May.
I will be looking into how I can sign up under the club name tonight. I hope to get a match set up in March. I can announce it here on the forum. We usually try to list a schedule of the various matches and places once dates are decided. Most have been by now.

Good to see another club jumping in! We started these up at Hopkinton year before last and they are a ton of fun, great to see more options on the calendar. For anyone thinking of giving it a try but not quite sure what it's all about here's a vid from one of the Hopkinton matches....this should prove you don't have to be good and hit all the targets to still have fun ;)

Man, I think I've been there before, early to mid 70's. My Grandparent's had a place off Wings Neck Road in Pocasset.
I went with some older kids who's Dad was a member. We shot .22's, it was fun. I couldn't have been more than twelve.
I remember stopping at Clegg's on the way back. Right on the corner of Rt.28 & Barlows Landing Road next to the Packie.
It was the greasiest greasy food I've ever had, I loved it. I think it's a Dunks nowadays. My Dad never liked the Cape and sold it in 1980.
Took the money and started a Lumberyard, so I've had a job for the last 43 years. If I knew than what I know now, c'est la vie.

Yes Roger, I believe so. We usually have 2 or 3 squads and we take turns with the experienced shooters acting as Range Officers (RO) and help with spotting impacts and someone runs the tablet for score. It takes a little to catch on but it is not too difficult, just basic procedures.

Most everyone has bolt guns but semi-auto is allowed as well, you just have to put on safe and call safe out loud each time you move positions. Not if just transitioning your aim to a different target from the same position.

Safety brief will be held before matches.

I am trying to get some dates finalized but hopefully we can do something for March 24th, April 28th maybe August 11th then more in the fall. Once they are set, I will post to Practiscore.

I'm local and a member, and might be interested. I don't have much of a gun, just an XT-22 with a cheap 3-9 on it, but hey... I'm game to try!

1022 are allowed
with any semi-auto, when you have to transition to a new position, you need to verbally declare SAFE after switching the safety on. Once in position and on scope down range on target, then switch to fire to engage. It is easy but RO's will listen and look for that.

Scopes are a whole different challenge.
Course of fire may have distances of 35 yards out to maybe 300 yards farthest but on average 100 yards or so. The size of the targets will be about 2-3 MOA in size for average distance, some shorter distances may have down to 1 or 1/2 MOA, while at 300 yards the target should be 12" so 4 MOA in size.

March 24th might be a good date to have an introductory match so people can get an idea how it will go.
I have not gotten the match targets yet or even a shipping confirmation yet from UPS so until they ship, I will just have to set up a match with what targets we have on hand and try to do 7 or so stages. We will see how it goes.

I had some issue with that mobeachprs gmail but it should be all set now.

Thanks

Looks like March 24th it is!

You need a Practiscore account in order to register, it is free.

I set registration to open in a week
I am new at this
Targets arrived today
If I can figure out how to register a match to PRS this coming week, the match will be $30 each. We will see how it goes.

THANK YOU for your interest
it should be fun

Last edited:
quick noob question, where is everyone finding match grade ammo? I’ve been striking out- either no inventory or just don’t carry much outside plinking rounds

Match grade ammo can be found in many local shops as well as online. Wolf match is decent as well as SK in Standard Plus, Rifle Match and some others. I am not sure if you will find any at Bass Pro. The Lapua. Center X or Midas Plus is where it may get more difficult to find and would have to be ordered.
Maybe others can chime in also. Outback in Plympton had some SK. I don’t know where you are located.

I’m in Boston. Will spend the weekend poking my head around the smaller shops to see if something turns up.

march can’t come soon enough

I’m in Boston. Will spend the weekend poking my head around the smaller shops to see if something turns up.

march can’t come soon enough
BTW there is another match on the south shore on March 10 in New Bedford 2 weeks before MoBeach

I also scheduled the other 2 MoBeach matches for this year - April 28th and August 11th
Let's hope for good weather

Back
Top Bottom