• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a solid .308 M5 barrel.

Right. This is why I’m looking to see if I can find help or a good alternative

This is why I did not use the vices on the upper. Lol.

The upper vice blocks ARE for installing barrels… I’m confused?

Rails/hand guards etc. are simple to attach/renove. Took mine off with a T-15 torx bit.
There are dudes at the mill with the proper gear for this.... @CrackPot or @KAG Arms will get you situated for reasonable $. Both of them could do this (properly) while sleeping and have the gear to do it right.

There are dudes at the mill with the proper gear for this.... @CrackPot or @KAG Arms will get you situated for reasonable $. Both of them could do this (properly) while sleeping and have the gear to do it right.
I borrowed the tools I needed

So I’m good to go

All my prior stuff was ar-15 related

I was fortunate to borrow what I needed to swap my barrels.

I’ll report back.

And thanks to the NES members who let me borrow the tools!

Damn it’s now pretty front heavy!!!!

Got the barrel and new timnney trigger installed.

Was a bit of a pain as the gas tube did not completely align with the nut using the torque specs. But not expected any issues.

Here it is now. IMG_7709.jpeg

Was a bit of a pain as the gas tube did not completely align with the nut using the torque specs. But not expected any issues.

Here it is now. View attachment 838560
Nice,let see how your gun shoot.mine is an m5 with fix stock, am a bad shot so I get 3 inch group at 100yard,that will do 4 now.really like the carbine stock on your gun.

Nice,let see how your gun shoot.mine is an m5 with fix stock, am a bad shot so I get 3 inch group at 100yard,that will do 4 now.really like the carbine stock on your gun.

I'm hoping for sub MOA now at 100, cant wait to try it out. Thanks, I had a spare carbine one, prob keep it for now.

As funny as that looks, holding a 13 lb match rifle for 10 to 20 shots of offhand shooting is best done with lots of practice which conditions your torso to hold steady. I'd still laugh if I saw someone doing that in a gym. [laugh]

Works just as well in the privacy of your home, but don't do it without proper attire- cargo shorts and crocs.

Looking good dude! You'll be splitting hairs from a mile away.

Looks good. How long is the barrel? 20"? I put a 24" heavy barrel on the 6ARC, which really made it front heavy. I like the Luth AR butt stocks, and found that they make weights for their stocks. That helped significantly with the balance.

1680226663059-png.737804

Unless it's already GTG, you're going to want some sort of cheek riser so that you can get good firm contact of your cheek against the stock AND have your eye well centered when viewing through the scope.

the gas tube did not completely align with the nut using the torque specs
if you have a standard barrel but with notches for the tube - you still torque it to the spec or even bit above - i do it to the highest end of the spec always, then if notch is on the way of the tube - you simply dremel it off to let tube go in. other way is to use shims, but it is a bad idea.
or, preferably, you use the nut with no notches.

my 6BR rig is around 21lbs. :) trying to hold that still offhand, is, well, funny.

but the 16" 6CM ar10 is very holdable, and a pleasure to shoot, i got there new aero vg6 epsilon brake - it is pretty neat.
I really like the VG6 brakes. Did Aero buy them out or perhaps owned them all along?

I'm trying an Area 419 on my new 6ARC upper. They seem to have a very large following in PRS.

I really like the VG6 brakes. Did Aero buy them out or perhaps owned them all along?

I'm trying an Area 419 on my new 6ARC upper. They seem to have a very large following in PRS.
i got the whole lineup, gamma, epsilon and lambda - the latter is a bit too long, but very effective on the 24" bergara.
epsilon is really a very good mid range solution, 3 ports but not too long, not too short. i think they were aero original design, but i can be wrong. i only saw them under the aero brand.

MPA and Area419 i think does not offer any better functionality but costs more. epsilon is usually just around $80 and works very well.

Looks good. How long is the barrel? 20"? I put a 24" heavy barrel on the 6ARC, which really made it front heavy. I like the Luth AR butt stocks, and found that they make weights for their stocks. That helped significantly with the balance.

1680226663059-png.737804

Unless it's already GTG, you're going to want some sort of cheek riser so that you can get good firm contact of your cheek against the stock AND have your eye well centered when viewing through the scope.
Yeah. 20”. Seemed the best compromise. I moved the scope back one rail increment after a few rounds. Was not happy with the position and eye relief.

Yeah. Stock was just an extra I had laying around. I do have a riser for it someplace it I’ll just get a better precision stock.

Was not going to spend anymore on it until I shot it.

if you have a standard barrel but with notches for the tube - you still torque it to the spec or even bit above - i do it to the highest end of the spec always, then if notch is on the way of the tube - you simply dremel it off to let tube go in. other way is to use shims, but it is a bad idea.
or, preferably, you use the nut with no notches.
I put the tube in then torqued it. To get it to align would have been stupid high

If I ever take the barrel off again I’ll dremel the nut.

Ok. So got to shoot it today.

This is 200 yards with PPU 168 grain match ammo.

1” red spot. So roughly 1/2 MOA if you will forgive the flier.

I had a sniper with me to verify.

I was not totally on my game today. But that was one of the better groups.

The hornandy match ammo did not shoot all that well.

So… YES I needed a new barrel!!!! lol.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Ok. So got to shoot it today.

This is 200 yards with PPU 168 grain match ammo.

1” red spot. So roughly 1/2 MOA if you will forgive the flier.

I had a sniper with me to verify.

I was not totally on my game today. But that was one of the better groups.

The hornandy match ammo did not shoot all that well.

So… YES I needed a new barrel!!!! lol.

View attachment 839419View attachment 839420
A bit windy today as well? We'll forgive junior snipers a 1 moa flyer for being slightly off on a wind call for a new rig. [laugh]

Yup. A gust came at that very shot! Grrr!!

And don’t forget the crappy stock, right?
Two requests:

1st - Go back and and delete any reference regarding the make of your new barrel. A few doubters in this thread and they don't deserve to know about who makes a ridiculous deal in precision barrels. [laugh] Seriously, I'm not surprised to see how their Premium Series barrel performed for you. It will probably do a little better with a small amount of break-in though some say a quality barrel is most accurate when new.

Next- Go back and look for anyone who said 308 is AIDS and tried to flip you to 6.5 Brokeback. Reply to their posts with this-
280f523fdc72ce92120971f41953e0f3.jpg

Nice work. We had winds up to 12 mph or more today and it only takes 5 mph at 90 degrees to send one of your shots off by an inch plus or minus whatever you are grouping. If you happened to get a 10 mph gust, that flyer could be 2.5" off center.

Two requests:

1st - Go back and and delete any reference regarding the make of your new barrel. A few doubters in this thread and they don't deserve to know about who makes a ridiculous deal in precision barrels. [laugh] Seriously, I'm not surprised to see how their Premium Series barrel performed for you. It will probably do a little better with a small amount of break-in though some say a quality barrel is most accurate when new.

Next- Go back and look for anyone who said 308 is AIDS and tried to flip you to 6.5 Brokeback. Reply to their posts with this-

Nice work. We had winds up to 12 mph or more today and it only takes 5 mph at 90 degrees to send one of your shots off by an inch plus or minus whatever you are grouping. If you happened to get a 10 mph gust, that flyer could be 2.5" off center.

Hah! Yeah. I was even kicking myself for my brand choice (post way above I was regretting it).

Turned out great.

Nah. I’ll leave it… I have a NES sniper who actually took that pic for me as I left my phone in my car.

So verified!

Yup! 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

I shot the man bun a bit worse, but that was still not too bad.

I was trying to avoid gusts and such. But it was a bit consistent.

Overall I’m happy with the new barrel and my performance.

I don’t really do PRS anymore and when I did it was mostly .22.

So I can’t complain.

Hah! Yeah. I was even kicking myself for my brand choice (post way above I was regretting it).

Turned out great.

Nah. I’ll leave it… I have a NES sniper who actually took that pic for me as I left my phone in my car.

So verified!

Yup! 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

I shot the man bun a bit worse, but that was still not too bad.

I was trying to avoid gusts and such. But it was a bit consistent.

Overall I’m happy with the new barrel and my performance.

I don’t really do PRS anymore and when I did it was mostly .22.

So I can’t complain.
Almost sounds like complaining.

Seriously? Can you offer some real help?

I opened this thread up for barrel recommendations. I got a ton of check this, check that.

I wanted a new barrel recommendation ONLY

After a lot of arm chair gun smith advice, I just got a new barrel. Had I known at the time BA and Areo were the same company I would have not bought one.

You above did not even understand the difference between an upper vice block and a barrel extension (as noted above)

So while I appreciate any and all advice, please note that you are not being helpful

And to add, I know the differences between the different .308 patterns… AND I was NOT asking any of that.

I wanted a barrel recommendation. Not a discussion on anything else.

Thanks for trying.
@bigblue

Please see my updates.

It WAS the barrel. I’m 1/2 moa at 200 yards now.

I appreciate all the help here.

Two requests:

308 is still AIDS. You can still lead a normal shooting life with it, but the AIDS is there.

Back
Top Bottom