Looking for a solid .308 M5 barrel.

Since they won’t ship to MA had a buddy order a blemished 20” one for me.

Price was right. Figured I’d spend less on a new barrel vs ammo proving mine sucks.

I’ll be unable to install it and shoot it for a few weeks. So stay tuned. Might be a while.

.308 sniper over and out.
FWIW there are at least a dozen resellers of Aero/BA stuff that ship to mass no problem, do keep that in mind. And the price is the same. Maybe you got a bad tube first time around?

FWIW there are at least a dozen resellers of Aero/BA stuff that ship to mass no problem, do keep that in mind. And the price is the same. Maybe you got a bad tube first time around?

This was a ballistic advantage barrel right from BA.

I have no issue getting aero stuff.

Useless advice.
I went stupid with my .308 barrel and I've had no issues.

Jp enterprises 18 inch with matched bolt.
If I didn't do that, I would've went with shaw barrels. I don't have an issue with my .223 wylde,6.5 grendel or 450 bushmaster from shaw.

I used Jacob grey for my 7.62x39 and upcoming 300 blackout

Useless advice.
I went stupid with my .308 barrel and I've had no issues.

Jp enterprises 18 inch with matched bolt.
If I didn't do that, I would've went with shaw barrels. I don't have an issue with my .223 wylde,6.5 grendel or 450 bushmaster from shaw.

I used Jacob grey for my 7.62x39 and upcoming 300 blackout
Are you prefacing it like "im about to give some useless advice"? Or that someone else gave some useless advice (who?), or everybody gave some useless advice? Im just curious so i know what to ignore because youre posting a public service announcement about useless advice. Im kind of new but THAT sounds IMPORTANT.... Should i go over my go bag contents while im at it?

Are you prefacing it like "im about to give some useless advice"? Or that someone else gave some useless advice (who?), or everybody gave some useless advice? Im just curious so i know what to ignore because youre posting a public service announcement about useless advice. Im kind of new but THAT sounds IMPORTANT.... Should i go over my go bag contents while im at it?
Just generic useless advice from someone on the internet and their experience with said items.
It's not that deep my dude.

Long story short….

My 16” .308 M5 Areo upper is not shooting well.

I’ve eliminated the obvious, loose scope, ammo and had an accomplished shooter match my results, so not human error.

As such, I’m looking for a replacement barrel for it so that I can use this for some long range 300-600 yard events.

So looking for a really good 18-20” .308 replacement barrel.

What say NES?

TIA.

Heres the thing, im looking for a custom PRS barrel for my rem 700 sa so i was a little interested in whatever you had to say.
custom prs for rem700 is in a different realm from a rather generic ar10 talk.
whole point of the previous conversation was - he has an aero complete upper with an aero barrell, what makes whole ordeal a bit unusual.
but it may be a lemon of a barrell, of course. i would not throw it away, though.

and the post #61 - if scope itself or mount moves, indeed, groups will look funny.

So my ballistic advantage barrel arrived at my buddy’s place in NH.

So I’ll prob get it in a week or two.

Then off to the range I’ve I get it mounted. So stay tuned.

Long story short….

My 16” .308 M5 Areo upper is not shooting well.

I’ve eliminated the obvious, loose scope, ammo and had an accomplished shooter match my results, so not human error.

As such, I’m looking for a replacement barrel for it so that I can use this for some long range 300-600 yard events.

So looking for a really good 18-20” .308 replacement barrel.

What say NES?

TIA.

FWIW, my .308 Aero shot like shit too. I put a Criterion bbl in it and haven’t regretted it.

IMG_1219.jpeg

My Aero M5 lower has both .308 & 6.5C uppers paired to it.

1Q1A9873 copy.jpeg

Edit to add that the ghey upper is a PSA that shoots lights out, better than 1/2 MOA with the right ammo. I lucked out (but had to swap the upper receiver to Aero bc PSA isn’t compatible).

Last edited:
BA makes the barrels for Aero, avoid if accuracy is your goal.

Go get a Criterion, you won’t regret it.
Not sure if @chris_1001 bought one of the 'Premium Series' BA barrels but I have built three different AR uppers with the BA Premium barrels (6.5 manbun, 6mm ARC, and .308) and all of them are ~sub 0.7 MOA with most groups closer to half MOA. I know at least one of the barrels is post Aero buyout of BA and it seems as good as pre buyout. I know nothing of the standard Aero / BA barrels.

I have no complaints for Criterion barrels. Haven't shot it yet but I have one for the 6.5 CM. I have many, many rounds through an AR CMP match rifle, I have some in match M1 Garands, and one on a USMC 1941 sniper clone. While the Criterions don't have the same level of accuracy as my Bartlein and Krieger match barrels, the Criterions are pretty damn close for a LOT less money.

did you get settled yet? If not, as a gunsmith, id be willing to go over the process for elimination to discover the actual prob as i doubt its the barrel.
No. All signs point to the barrel.

If it was an optic issue. No way me removing the brake would tighten things up on the optic.

And everything that I have checked and reported.

I’m getting a bunch of suggestions that want to ignore the barrel. But all signs point to it.

did you get settled yet? If not, as a gunsmith, id be willing to go over the process for elimination to discover the actual prob as i doubt its the barrel.
It wasn't the optic.

Anyway, I shot the gun and got a group about the same size as his at 100, it was like 2.5"-3". I made sure the barrel was cold, I took my time, had a bag ...

custom prs for rem700 is in a different realm from a rather generic ar10 talk.
whole point of the previous conversation was - he has an aero complete upper with an aero barrell, what makes whole ordeal a bit unusual.
but it may be a lemon of a barrell, of course. i would not throw it away, though.

and the post #61 - if scope itself or mount moves, indeed, groups will look funny.
AR or not barrels are barrels - he mentioned a company - i inquired about it with my specific needs. Hijacking? Maybe. Otherwise, not sure what i did wrong.

In this specific case without being able to follow normal diagnostic order, if i HAD to guess - i would agree barrel as long as youre sure your sights are solid (scope).

No. All signs point to the barrel.

If it was an optic issue. No way me removing the brake would tighten things up on the optic.

And everything that I have checked and reported.

I’m getting a bunch of suggestions that want to ignore the barrel. But all signs point to it.
Those suggestions arent suggestions as such but rather nudges to be sure you eliminate everything else first. Thats all. A barrel swap is a bigger investment and can change everything about how your rifle shoots. Everything youve done setting it up will need redoing and not to mention hoping you get a good barrel. Just doing our due diligence brother, im sure i speak for the rest when i say your best interests are in mind as we post.

No, I want him to buy as much random shit as possible so we can be entertained to the maximum amount possible.

That said, checklist is pretty straightforward. Match ammo, everything is torqued correctly, it’s not a shit optic, shoot without muzzle device. OR match the ammo to the barrel & muzzle device but that assumes it’s a match bbl and you have the patience for load testing & development.

A good barrel and match ammo should be inside a quarter at 100y without wind, no matter the caliber.

$0.02

Back
Top Bottom