• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Scope shopping should really be called Reticle shopping...

"Have I mentioned that I shoot a MIL scope yet? No? Oh, well, I do. Now let me tell you why MOA sucks"

It's friggin hilarious.

You will notice I never say MIL is bad, or worse than MOA, but it's almost a guarantee that this post will get a reply somehow mentioning that MIL is superior.

Mil: the math is easier, tough to get your head wrapped around it due to the fact were Americans and use feet and inches,

MOA: Math is more difficult, but easier to understand the concepts as Americans.

Mil: the math is easier, tough to get your head wrapped around it due to the fact were Americans and use feet and inches,

MOA: Math is more difficult, but easier to understand the concepts as Americans.
a mil is a mil and a minute is a minute. If you're converting to a linear measurement to adjust, you're wasting time. Use your reticle as a ruler and keep the measurements angular.

Caveat...unless you have a known range and are trying to gauge the size of an object based on distance and angular measurement.

"Have I mentioned that I shoot a MIL scope yet? No? Oh, well, I do. Now let me tell you why MOA sucks"

It's friggin hilarious.

You will notice I never say MIL is bad, or worse than MOA, but it's almost a guarantee that this post will get a reply somehow mentioning that MIL is superior.
I don’t think it has to do with one being better than the other, it’s more about being more popular within the game you plan to play with it.

a mil is a mil and a minute is a minute. If you're converting to a linear measurement to adjust, you're wasting time. Use your reticle as a ruler and keep the measurements angular.

Caveat...unless you have a known range and are trying to gauge the size of an object based on distance and angular measurement.
100% conversation to meters or inches is only needed if trying to range targets or determine target size. If I know I'm 1 mil low on paper (even though I know 1mil@100yd.=3.6inch) I don't care how many inches I need to come up, I just come up 1 mil.

I don’t care either way I just like to stir the pot 🫡

It's friggin hilarious.

it’s an internet gun forum. Dumbass debates like this are the only reason these sites exist

100% conversation to meters or inches is only needed if trying to range targets or determine target size. If I know I'm 1 mil low on paper (even though I know 1mil@100yd.=3.6inch) I don't care how many inches I need to come up, I just come up 1 mil.
That’s funny, because I’ve never thought to myself “I’m 1.5 mils low” on paper.

I always look at the target and say “I’m 4 inches low, and .5 inches right”, then I have to pull out my phone to make the conversion to mils so I can adjust my scope…

But, I’m a mils guy all the way…

I always look at the target and say “I’m 4 inches low, and .5 inches right”, then I have to pull out my phone to make the conversion to mils so I can adjust my scope…

Look at it through your reticle.

and that's where you're wasting time and hurting your brain. measure with your reticle subtensions. 8 tenths low? dial 8 tenths up. send another. 100 yards or 1000 yards, 8 tenths in your reticle is 8 tenths on your turret, assuming it's a FFP scope.

and that's where you're wasting time and hurting your brain. measure with your reticle subtensions. 8 tenths low? dial 8 tenths up. send another. 100 yards or 1000 yards, 8 tenths in your reticle is 8 tenths on your turret, assuming it's a FFP scope.
Yup, this is exactly the kind of stuff I need to learn.

I have a MRAD/MIL scope – I guess you can call me a Sniper.

It was a lot cheaper than the MOA version (discontinued reticle) so I went that route... I guess you can call me a Cheap Bastard.

If you're shooting at one known distance target, there are benefits to MOA such as the finer adjustment and the fact most of the other shooters at those matches will be shooting MOA scopes. If you're shooting multiple targets at varying distances, MIL is the way to go. Shooters at those types of matches will generally be shooting MIL scopes so you'll be speaking the same language, and you'll save time dialing multiple targets. A 300yd rimfire shot is roughly 13 mils/130 clicks, compared to roughly 45 MOA/180 clicks. Lot more dialing needed with MOA = wasted time.

My brain thinks in MOA. But I have been wanting to move over to MIL, so I have spent some time reading.

I have read several articles and watched several videos. They all try to fill space by spending minutes of video or paragraphs telling you what MIL is, blah blah blah...

They usually end up with exactly what you typed, MIL is faster. Done.

The faster dialing and everyone speaking the same language seem to be the only 2 advantages, and usually during PRS.

I always found it interesting how everyone dances around the issue by trying to give me a masters class on angles and measurements.

I am not saying the rest is not interesting. I like it, but sometimes getting straight to the answer is better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom