what are your answers

what are your answers to why you like a certain gun?

Im always asked, and I was asked tonite why do I like Glocks? my answer was, its just a clean gun, no fancy pretty stuff to it and I like the feel and way it shoots.

oh and I found a G19 (hard to come by) they want $750 for it though.

so what are your answers if your asked?

1. Because I like it; and

2. Because I can afford it.

Sometime I get arguments over that second one, so I prefer to stick to the first whenever I can.

Ken

Because it fits my hand and I can shoot quickly and accurately with it.

(Of course, the real truth also includes that I grew up watching so much Rat Patrol and Magnum PI that I just had to have a 1911. Then the durn things started multiplying in the safe...)

I like Glocks because they're the AKs of handguns. Dirt, grime, mud, etc. they'll fire. Thats why I carry one.
I like SKS rifles because of the design, the simplicity of operation, the feel, and yeah... because I do.[grin]

I like Glocks because they're the AKs of handguns. Dirt, grime, mud, etc. they'll fire. Thats why I carry one.
I like SKS rifles because of the design, the simplicity of operation, the feel, and yeah... because I do.[grin]

Yea!!! I just went thru the four seasons page, how some guy put the Glock thru its paces.. and still fires. he gave that thing a beatdown Im waitiing for the vid.

I like a gun that fits my hand comfortably and that I can shoot well. I can shoot Glocks very well... but they just don't feel right in my hand. My PPK felt great... but I was all over the paper with it.

My 1911, my Para, my Beretta 21... they all feel right in my hand and I hit what I'm aiming with them. Works for me.

Reliability, accuracy, historical significance, and when all else fails just plain fun to shoot. That is the criteria by which all my guns are ranked.

I find it easier to disqualify a firearm because there is something about it that I do not like. For example, if the quality of the parts and/or construction is lacking, (Para, Taurus, Kel-Tec) I will not like it. If it is too utilitarian, (Glock) I might own it as a tool, but not as an interest piece. If the design is crappy, (S&W Sigma) I'm not interested. If it is ugly, (Ruger P series) forget about it. You get the idea.

Reliability, quality, features, reputation (which is usually a reflection of the former) are all reasonably important when considering a firearm.

However, every now and then I'll pick up a firearm, look at something, the firearm goes "bang" and a small hole appears where I was looking. I didn't have to over think situation, didn't have to adjust my grip a half dozen times, didn't have to squint at the sights - it just happened naturally. The grip, the trigger, the sights, they all seem to mold into one and become an extension of my own arm. That's the firearm I'll choose.

If it is ugly, (Ruger P series) forget about it.

However, every now and then I'll pick up a firearm, look at something, the firearm goes "bang" and a small hole appears where I was looking. I didn't have to over think situation, didn't have to adjust my grip a half dozen times, didn't have to squint at the sights - it just happened naturally. The grip, the trigger, the sights, they all seem to mold into one and become an extension of my own arm. That's the firearm I'll choose.

And that's why a Ruger P90 graces my fun safe. It is the ugliest gun in the world (except for a Glock), but it just FITS.

Now if only I could find a gunsmith who could tame that trigger... [thinking]

model 60 and p226

I like the 60, since i changed the grips it fits and shoots well, nice carry piece. the 226 for me is good for IDPA, i changed the sights, the rear is
adjustable it shoots good.

JimB

If it fits my hand, fits my need(s), is reliable, and I can afford it, then I try to get it.

Deal with this question all the time in classes. And the more popular one "What is the best gun?"

Basically both have the same answer. The best gun, and the one I like is the tool that does the job I need, fits my hand, and I am comfortable using.

Sure, I have other guns that I like which don't really fit those criteria. For example, I've yet to really find a 'job' that 'needs' a .500 Magnum with 500 grain bullets, but I like shooting them. (^_^)

I usually also have to point out that "use" covers ALL aspects of the operation from loading, shooting, and cleaning. I think I see more people amazed at the difference between field stripping a 1911 vs a Sig. And then I hold up the revolver and declare it's ready to clean.

Gotta love the variety. Guns are like cars. All kinds to chose from and what one person likes will turn off another. You need to do some homework and really figure out what you like and don't like and then find the best tool that does all you like.

rethinking the question

I'd like to add that your choice should not only be based on reliability but
one that you shoot well....and shoot often, not one that seems that way.

In my opinion you should shoot your CCW at least once a month if not more. Thats the time to find out if its still performing the way it needs to.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom