What are you doing and is it working?

I just figured now a few weeks into the season people might want to exchange what is working and what isn't. I will start by saying this, scent drags and doe bleets are not working for me. And what is working is grunting and rattling I brought my grunt call and rattle into the woods for the first time today and within 45 mins a very large 10 point buck came in(i was hunting the ground on the edge of a field so I was kinda at his mercy as to wether he came in close)he didn't come within bow range but he came inot that field with authority. After he scanned the field for a minute or two he retreated inot the path he came in on, but not 20 mins later a spike came to the edge of the field but never decided to come in(man i wish decoys where legal). So for me that is what is working I am just curious to hear what is working for other this season.

I used a buck bomb (doe in Estrous) on Monday and it brought a 5 pointer in the last 60 yards. As soon as he it the the "drag" I laid out he came trotting in for an easy 20 yard chip shot. He went 30-35 yards and tipped over. My experience with doe in estrous scents has been mixed. If a doe hits it she will go the other way 95% of the time as she doesn't want to be bothered if she isn't in estrous. Bucks on the other hand will often come in as "boys will be boys". If I am trying to fill a doe tag I don't put any scent out.

Bob

Tried a few estrus bleats, and heard a buck respond. Trouble was, a doe started bleating back. I sat & waited. Tried a grunt, to see if I might coax him in. 15 minutes later, big boy shows up, about 60 yards out in thick laurel. Wind shifted, then I saw the white of his ass. Bummer. Packed it in, and headed for home. Out on the main woods trail, I'm walking along. Stopped to blow my nose... WTF? There he is eyeballing me, standing right in the trail, not 40 yards away. Not for long though. Bummer. I'm going to try laying some estrus scent down next time and I'm going to alter my deer call for a higher pitched bleat, to better match the bleats I heard. Hell, maybe I'll just blow my nose?

That blows! LOL
The other day my nose was running so bad that I had to try to turn it into a snort-wheeze. "Tssssss, tssssss, SNIFFFFFF", came out pretty good. I dare you to find that tip in a magazine!

I've been lucky from 10 foot treestands, with an evergreen behind me, near good trails.

I have been using the buck bombs some. I now am more careful if the wind is changing I sprayed some the wind shifted and right back at me. I have only seen one this season and it was just a quick flash and gone. Hunting from the ground. Have had the spotting cam out but only seen deer late night passing by.

I tried a buck bomb today, but the gusting/fluctuating winds weren't productive. However, Ursa Major did make an appearance. She'd approached the area from upwind, and once on the site she had her nose all up in the air.

I don't know what I am doing at this point[thinking]. Lots of sign in the area I have been busted twice by several groups of 2-3 does and the same buck when I wasn't ready for them. Still setting up once bow was still on the ground and the other they came from the complete wrong direction I couldn't get a shot and they finally winded me. Granted I have only been out 5 afternoon sits. I am going to go in at lunch time tomorrow and do some rattling I think.

Since I won't be getting another chance for bear this season, I took the rifle out today. Nice weather, with only a hint of a breeze. Not much going on. Then, the place went crazy with activity just as the sun was nearing the horizon. At one point, a Titmouse perched atop my rifle's barrel. And I had two barred owls chasing each other around me. Another owl hung out and stared at me while I took his picture, when they usually fly off as soon as they notice movement. A couple of deer were crashing through the woods all around me, and I heard a coyote or two howling & barking. No bear though.

Back
Top Bottom