• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are the rules when you get stopped in a car?

Scrivener said:
The 148 doesn't really bother me; it's the 35 zone.

148 on Route 295 in clear, dry weather early on a Sunday morning? Go for it.

In a 35 zone - read: Residential or urban area? Reckless endangerment. Period.

It was an industrial zone with a 2 mile stretch of straight road at night.
Not saying it was smart by any means, I was only 18 and invincible at the time.

CRAP! I didn't even think of that.

When I go to my in-laws. I have to pass through RI. And I didn't even think about when I'm carrying, that I'm not in MA anymore. Even though I live in MA and they live in MA. I have to cut that small corner on 295/146 from North Attleboro to Northbridge/Whitinsville...

C-pher said:
CRAP! I didn't even think of that.

When I go to my in-laws. I have to pass through RI. And I didn't even think about when I'm carrying, that I'm not in MA anymore. Even though I live in MA and they live in MA. I have to cut that small corner on 295/146 from North Attleboro to Northbridge/Whitinsville...
You're safe. RI has a statute that says you can pass through the state as long as you dont intend to detain yourself
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM
The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

To get back on track, some states REQUIRE you to notify the LEO, if you're carrying concealed (or in car), some don't require you to.

Look here to see what you need to do in each state:

http://www.packing.org/

My advice mirrors what Len says. DON'T voluntarily consent to a search of your vehicle. If you do, you just waived any recourse as to search legality later. Let them get the warrant, know your rights.

"Early sundays ARE fun on 295... especialy at the north end of it heading south... Very Happy MMMMMMmmmmmm"

Yeah, those Sunday morning runs to Manville are great for blowing out the garbage that builds up from short hauls to the bank, etc.

Hey, my cruise control works at 110, so it must be OK! 8)

Well, a few years ago Marlyn asked our son James just how fast he had driven her car. He replied and she said "That's all?". Apparently she had been about 125 on I 90, in Ohio or Indiana, posibly New York.

Back
Top Bottom