What .22 semi auto?

Brin747

NES Member
So, I have pretty much decided to get my two sons (11 & 12) a .22 each for Christmas. I don't want anything too fancy, just something decent that they can take when I bring them to an Appleseed next year.

Perusing Budsgunshop I see a bunch of good choices, I'd like to stay in the sub $200 range as this won't be their only gift this year.

I need some help deciding between the Marlin 60, Mossberg, Savage 64, and Ruger 10/22 offerings. I definitely want something with a removable magazine.

What do you all say?

CRS, they are, with adult supervision of course. I started them out on an old Ithaca single shot .22, gradually let them move up to my bolt action Marlin, and now they regularly shoot my old Springfield tube fed .22 as well as my SKS and Saiga. They are also very good wit handguns. I just want to get them something "to call their own".

Why the 10-22 over the others?

Marlin model 60. They are very accurate, and because they are tube fed they are not considered high capactity even though they hold 14 rounds. This would allow them to own and shoot them on their own once they get their FID cards down the road.

Fbird, capacity is irrelevant here, there are no limitations like in MA. They cannot own them until they are 18. Until then, they are mine and they can use them under my supervision...

I would recommend a single shot. When I first started to shoot (I was a late bloomer; I was in my late teens) I did a lot of shooting with semi auto 22s and tended to hose a bit, replacing quality with quantity. Somewhere along the line I got my hands on a single shot lever action 22, Ithaca I think, which forced me to concentrate on each shot because that was all there was. This forced concentration greatly improved my shooting.

Brin the 10/22 is a great choice. It's a rifle they will never get bored of even when they get older. There are so many parts available for it they can turn it into what ever kind of rilfe they want as their shooting needs change while they get older.

I would like to second the Ruger 10/22. I am currently trying to save some money for one. The fact there are so many accessories for it this would allow each boy to make it 'their' own to what they want. Maybe not now, but down the road.

Also, just look how many you see used. I was at a Gun show here in FL, one of the 'big' ones for this area and they only had something like 3-4 10/22's out of over 100 tables. We went to another one and saw zero used ones, and only a few new ones. You can also get it NIB for under $200ea at places like Dicks or Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
I want to third the motion on the 10/22 I got one and have to it customized for my wife and she loves it. There are so many toys out for the 10/22, I have even seen a kit that will make it look like an Evil Black Rifle.. also they are pretty accurate out of the box but once you start upgrading they will be tack drivers. If your coming to the pumpkin shoot come on by and you can check it out.

I believe the Walmart in Concord and Dicks right across the street has the 10/22

I have had a Remington 552 Speedmaster that I won, it shot 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle. That is a sweet rifle but pricey.
I have had Ruger 10/22 and 22 Magnum and those are easy to upgrade and there are plenty of parts available to customize to whatever you like.
I just this week picked up a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 in the Classifieds and this a sweet rifle.
I would probably pick the 10/22 due to price and fan base. I don't know about Hi Cap mags for the 10/22 as I'm in MA and stayed with the 10 rounders.

at that age, and my son is that age, a single shot teaches disclipine. he just turned 11 and has yet to shoot out 10/22

just my .02

I've owned the Marlin and Ruger and both are fine. If you're going to an appleseed, forget the high cap magazines. They get in the way when you shoot prone and you can only load 10 rounds anyway. You can use a tube magazine at an appleseed but it's difficult and the instructors like to keep all the tube magazine shooters together. This was my experience in Ma. It may be different in N.H.

This is all good input, thank you all. I do plan on taking them to an Appleseed next year, am I incorrect in believing that an semi-auto is needed for that?

I have a single shot and a bolt that they use now, my thinking was to get them something they can use now and keep/modify as they get older.

It does sound like the 10/22 is probably the best bet.

Why Semi-Auto?
I swear that they sell 22 autoloaders so cheap, 'cuz they gotcha on the ammo ;)

Most of the kids & adults (& hunters) with semi-autos down at the range are trigger-happy & can't hit anything they're aiming at - just make a lot of noise.

Get 'em a Bolt Gun- single-shot or box mag. Henry Mini-Bolts & Marlin youth (915Y) are good for little guys. The Henry needs to cock after each shot. The Marlin has a dovetail for peeps or a scope.

Savage makes a wicked nice peep sight model with peep sights. Williams makes some nice peep sights that'll fit on dovetails. These days, teaching the munchkins to hit the target one bullseye-at-a-time will stretch out your scarce ammo supply longer too.
[wait till they get a job before you get 'em autoloaders ;) ]

So, I have pretty much decided to get my two sons (11 & 12) a .22 each for Christmas. I don't want anything too fancy, just something decent that they can take when I bring them to an Appleseed next year.

Perusing Budsgunshop I see a bunch of good choices, I'd like to stay in the sub $200 range as this won't be their only gift this year.

I need some help deciding between the Marlin 60, Mossberg, Savage 64, and Ruger 10/22 offerings. I definitely want something with a removable magazine.

What do you all say?

W/out even reading all the replies I'll say a Ruger 10/22 is the best bet over all. This for a number of reasons:

1. because its a proven design thats accurate and reliable right out of the box.

2. because its easy to use in function, the sights are easy to get used to and if not.... see #3

3. The Ruger 10/22 is the easiest rifle to work on because so many after market parts are available including better sights such as the Williams fire sight combo. http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/image_88.htm

4. The receiver alone is worth it because if at some time the owner wants to turn that rifle into a tack driving egg shoot worthy rifle, the option is there with upgrades.

I was torn between the two this past summer. I went with the Marlin 60 because it is (supposedly) far more accurate out of the box than the 10/22.

I'm very happy with the Marlin 60. I bought it primarily for the rest of my family to use while I shoot my SKS. My youngest sister (14) absolutely loves it and everyone else loves how easy it is to use/shoot. Its very easy to load and very accurate. I do wish it had the customization options of the Ruger but I can't complain otherwise.

I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle.

Back
Top Bottom