• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westport firearms dealer charged with selling illegal handguns

This makes me want to [puke]

All because this idiot "applicant" blabbed. Thanks for destroying this guys business/income.

This is the shit that some people just don't understand. EVERYTHING we do as gun owners impacts the entire group. For example, the "bad apple" LTC that commits a violent crime in X state; or the LTC holder's toddler shoots X with their parent's gun. People may start seeing us in an unfavorable light if they haven't before.

Now we have a friggin' loudmouth who had to ruin someone's livelihood and a friend to some on this forum. There's a reason why we keep our mouths shut about out-of-state ammo sellers because dickheads like this "applicant" screw things up for the rest of us.

End of rant.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the applicant. Between the I&I techniques used to interrogate people (psychologically similar to using a rubber hose or waterboarding) which can get an innocent person to admit to a crime, and the thorough investigation by checking everything this guy owned, where he got it and when, etc. the paper trail (including receipts for purchases) may have been what told the tale. Just because the LSM reports that "he said" doesn't make it true.

A simple traffic stop can get that information. On any of us on any day. That is the beauty of fa10 registration. My point being that information is very easy to get and be used against anyone .gov doesn't like

As I stated above, the applicant's history may have told the story without him mentioning who/what/when.

Wasn't there a situation where the new Bass Pro Shops store in Foxboro was selling "illegal" guns. Did anyone get arrested there? [rolleyes]

Yes and no. The RAT only complained about Glocks and since they were all on the EOPS Roster, that is what the AG focused on (civil penalty stuff). Nobody got arrested as that wasn't an arrestable offense.

-----------------

As for a defense, much like Mike (Tite Group), if he sold guns that weren't on the EOPS Roster to ANYONE (LE or civilian) he really has no defense and it's a waste of money to mount a defense. That's when you plea bargain for the best deal you can get. Remember the FA-10s are prima fascia evidence of the crime and there is no way around that.

All this said, Ritchie is a character and although I was only in there twice and didn't buy anything, I am very sorry to see this happen to him.

Regardless, I hope Comm2A can help (and that the shop owner wants to fight and not sweep it under) as this makes for a good challenge.

The AG regs is curently before the federal court on appeal. The first decision was basically "all claims and statement of fact of the AG accepted as fact; all claims by the plaintiffs rejected in total".

We have not yet litigated the EOPS list, and I am not sure there is a solid basis for challenging this, given that it leaves many handguns available in MA.

I suspect a plea bargain or deal for his dealers license. If he is *very* lucky, he will emerge a non-dealer but not a PP. Unfortunately, he will probably be both (as was Mike at Titegroup)

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the applicant. Between the I&I techniques used to interrogate people (psychologically similar to using a rubber hose or waterboarding) which can get an innocent person to admit to a crime, and the thorough investigation by checking everything this guy owned, where he got it and when, etc. the paper trail (including receipts for purchases) may have been what told the tale. Just because the LSM reports that "he said" doesn't make it true.
It is trivial for the state to mine the MIRCs entries the dealers make, then approach the buyer to get the admission.

Despite "don't talk to the police", interrogees are under tremendous pressure, as exercising your right to remain silent is a court accepted reason to deny or revoke an LTC. So, you need a buyer willing to give up his LTC for the dealer.

Last edited:
We have not yet litigated the EOPS list, and I am not sure there is a solid basis for challenging this, given that it leaves many handguns available in MA.

Wasn't there a case from another state that basically said firearms in common use and widely available(Glocks are) couldn't be blocked from purchase? I know that sounds vague, but someone may remember the details.

From what i know of him A good fella who was often in the parades in westport, and a veteran.... Sad to see this happen to him

If his lawyer is smart he will keep getting this continued until the Glock 43 hits the EOPS list!

The way that the wheels of <in>justice grind, that won't be difficult.

How long between Mike's arrest and the court case? IIRC it was >1 year.

The criminal case I testified (for the defense) was ~18 months between arrest and day in court.

However, I don't think that is going to help him. Once the sharks (DA and police) smell blood, they don't back off.

This story sounds like someone bought something they weren't allowed to have in MA unless they were in the Mickey Mouse Club. They apply to join said club and brag how they got a toy exclusive to Mickey Mouse Club members before actually becoming a member to see if it would possibly "help" him get his application approved.

The issue aside from being a bigmouth is the disparity in two classes of citizens. The privileged and the groundlings.

This story sounds like someone bought something they weren't allowed to have in MA unless they were in the Mickey Mouse Club. They apply to join said club and brag how they got a toy exclusive to Mickey Mouse Club members before actually becoming a member to see if it would possibly "help" him get his application approved.

The issue aside from being a bigmouth is the disparity in two classes of citizens. The privileged and the groundlings.

Yeah that is so ridiculous. This guy deserves a good punch to the throat and nuts. Just sayin.

That in bold is the truth !!

So, you think that PDs don't do extensive BG checks on candidates including pulling up every FA-10 that they ever signed to see what they own, their character, etc. Guns that aren't on the EOPS List and are well known in LE circles (i.e. Glocks) might well peak some interest in interrogating the applicant OR pulling all such gun sales from that dealer. Either way they got the info, it is out there and easily found out if someone looks.

A simple traffic stop can get that information. On any of us on any day. That is the beauty of fa10 registration. My point being that information is very easy to get and be used against anyone .gov doesn't like

A number of years ago a friend of mine applied to become an LEO.

During one of the interviews he was asked about an AR that he owned... FUDD/gun grabber
crap like 'what does he have it for', 'why would he need something like that', etc.

He was accepted, and was on the force for about 6-8 months but then he decided the job wasn't for
him and he resigned.

so wait a minute, if we were to buy something considered banned by a dealer, its ok, but if we were to turn around and sell that banned thing as private individuals, that's not ok? Im confused.

A number of years ago a friend of mine applied to become an LEO.

During one of the interviews he was asked about an AR that he owned... FUDD/gun grabber
crap like 'what does he have it for', 'why would he need something like that', etc.

He was accepted, and was on the force for about 6-8 months but then he decided the job wasn't for
him and he resigned.

Did he still get his pension? [laugh]

Stupid laws, glad I moved.

so wait a minute, if we were to buy something considered banned by a dealer, its ok, but if we were to turn around and sell that banned thing as private individuals, that's not ok? Im confused.

I believe it only applies to dealers. You buying it from a dealer is legal for you but not for him. Once it's in private hands the law no longer applies unless the transfer is done by an FFL. is that correct?

So, you think that PDs don't do extensive BG checks on candidates including pulling up every FA-10 that they ever signed to see what they own, their character, etc. Guns that aren't on the EOPS List and are well known in LE circles (i.e. Glocks) might well peak some interest in interrogating the applicant OR pulling all such gun sales from that dealer. Either way they got the info, it is out there and easily found out if someone looks.

Len, I'm not saying what the cops do or don't do. I'm not an LEO but I'd assume applicants are looked at with a magnifying glass and nothing less. This was a bullshit event and the only reason it's a crime is because it's written in the MGLs, etcetera.

The problem is that the guy opened his mouth like a bragging fool. If a regular person was FTF'd the same exact firearm with pre bans, it'd be perfectly fine. But because he got it from a store (which is even more stringently scrutinized then an LTC holder), the state of MA *magically* has less faith on a 01 FFL. Isn't there something really wrong with that?

It's no wonder why any reasonable person would see that this malum prohibitum offense didn't stop any veritable "crime".

"The New Bedford police applicant said he had purchased, from Pacheco's store, a Glock 23-model, 40-caliber handgun — which is not supposed to be sold to civilians in Massachusetts — and three restricted high-capacity, 13-round magazines, Majewski said, adding that only law enforcement officers in Massachusetts can possess magazines over 10 rounds."

http://m.heraldnews.com/article/20150623/NEWS/150628645

Last edited:
can't just drop that with no context, now we're curious.

I guess you never visited his shop... He is just a complete ****ing tool. Any time I went in there he was doing nothing but spouting complete bullshit. Acting like an arrogant ass. Exhibiting what is IMO the worst customer service skills imaginable.

Oh, and then there was the time he rolled up to one of the egg shoots at woodcock. In his little armored vehicle w/ a mounted 22 on the top and let loose w/ full auto fire from the parking lot. Over the heads of about 50 people and their kids participating in the shoot. Seriously, the dude is just an *******. If I had to choose, I would walk in to NFS before I ever crossed his threshold again.

Don't get me wrong. I think the whole "list" thing is as ridiculous as the next guy. As well as the circumstances surrounding the investigation and arrest. But if it had to happen to someone.... If the state had to chose someone to make an example of... We'll lets just say karma is a bitch...

The writing in the news article is very poor, its very confusing and looks like crap, and has legal fallacies in it.

Any of you prattling about "fighting the AG list" this arrest has nothing to do with CMR940. Someone had a pole up their ass and went after this guy for selling off list, not much different from what happened with Titegroup. My guess is there is some precursor event that lead to this (just like Titegroup). We'll probably never know what it is unless some regular at that shop comes forth.

-Mike

Machinehead,

We don't know if he blabbed or if the BG check included "let's see your guns".

My Wife and I both bought Glocks in a MA gun shop and they came with large-capacity mags. The guns and mags were perfectly legal for the dealer to sell to anyone with a LTC-A since the guns were made before the AG Regs kicked in and are on the EOPS List plus the mags are pre-ban.

So believing the news story about him blabbing must be so because it says so, yet we know a lot of the other info is pure BS. Granted I'll bet it was a brand new Gen 4 (which poses no defense against the AG Regs) on the G23, but nevertheless we don't know what really happened here.

Also, we do NOT know if the applicant might not have been already a LEO (perhaps PT somewhere) which would have made his possession of everything legal and the purchase of anything on the EOPS List (AG Regs are void for the privileged but the EOPS List is NOT) also legal.

I just suggest we not go off half-cocked with insufficient evidence of exactly what happened and who said what, when.

I guess you never visited his shop... He is just a complete ****ing tool. Any time I went in there he was doing nothing but spouting complete bullshit. Acting like an arrogant ass. Exhibiting what is IMO the worst customer service skills imaginable.

Oh, and then there was the time he rolled up to one of the egg shoots at woodcock. In his little armored vehicle w/ a mounted 22 on the top and let loose w/ full auto fire from the parking lot. Over the heads of about 50 people and their kids participating in the shoot. Seriously, the dude is just an *******. If I had to choose, I would walk in to NFS before I ever crossed his threshold again.

Don't get me wrong. I think the whole "list" thing is as ridiculous as the next guy. As well as the circumstances surrounding the investigation and arrest. But if it had to happen to someone.... If the state had to chose someone to make an example of... We'll lets just say karma is a bitch...

Been to his shop twice, twice because I can relate to this post. I know Westport and the towns people fairly well not a fan of Majewski either. They prob crossed each other at one time is my bet.

Last edited:
The real question is this: Will the shop owner be charged with selling a LCFD? and will the applicant be charged with possession of a LCFD (assuming the mags are Post ban)

As for the reporting by the media, typical sensationalized crap "illegal guns" make great headlines.

I just suggest we not go off half-cocked with insufficient evidence of exactly what happened and who said what, when.

My guess is one of two things happened here:

1. Westport PD has an unusually retarded interest in being EOPS lapdog, based on this statement....

"Majewski added that the Westport Police Department had previously sent letters to Richie's Sporting Supply and other local federal licensed gun dealers reminding them that they cannot sell firearms restricted by the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security and the Attorney General's Office."

2. There's some other precursor incident that caused them to go on a flishing expedition with this shop. (like a gun theft, or even some nonjudicial incident between the PD and this shop, etc. )

#1 is kind of a weird scenario since I don't think most PDs probably care about this stupid crap, unless EOPS or a DA comes up to them directly and and demands that they do something about "shop X". (As an aside, even when the locals came to shut down Titegroup, they did it in the least douchey way possible, from my recollection. ) My guess is the WPD chief is bored and looking for something to "harumph and look important about." Some of these PDs are weird.... brings to mind that phrase "Idle hands spend time at the genitals".

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom