• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weston Shooters Club on Ch 7

Someday I'll get enough practice with what I have available that I can start looking at those options myself.

Training courses and competitions will jump start skills much faster than just practicing by yourself. As long as you can safely handle your gun(s) and have solid fundamentals, which I’m sure you do, then go for it.

Last edited:
Someday I'll get enough practice with what I have available that I can start looking at those options myself.
I took thier Precision Shooting class a couple months ago and guys showed up with brand new rigs they never even zeroed. I zeroed my rifle and put maybe 30 or 40 rounds down range at 100 yds before taking the class. That was more than enough prep. You'll do fine even with little to no practice.

Training courses and competitions will jump start skills much faster than just practicing by yourself. As long as you can safely handle your gun(s) and have solid fundamentals, which I’m sure you do, then go for it.
You're right, of course. Which is why I started hitting local IDPA matches in the spring.

I just want to force myself to actually push on that bold bit for a little while (and some positional shooting). There's been a bunch of personal life changes in '23, so some of the things that were planning for this year will get pushed out to next.

I took thier Precision Shooting class a couple months ago and guys showed up with brand new rigs they never even zeroed. I zeroed my rifle and put maybe 30 or 40 rounds down range at 100 yds before taking the class. That was more than enough prep. You'll do fine even with little to no practice.
I'll definitely be more responsible than that.

Thank you both for your votes of confidence. I'll still refrain from telling anyone I'm from NES - I'd hate to besmirch our good name.

Dude, I can bring you to Granby as a guest.

We can shoot at targets someone with a 260 and factory ammo can only dream of reaching with those low BC bullets. We will chrono your rounds shooting at the 100 yard berm, then move to the steel.

You forgot no Fudd bullsh*t.

I would be fine with a club just being a piece of land in the woods with a berm. No buildings, no chairs, bring your own targets. As long as there isn't FUDD sh*t going on.

If I want fancy sh*t, I will go to the golf club and hang out there.
You can join my club too!

Nice. I'll have 300 yards once I get a berm built. I could get 800 in another direction but there would be a lot of clearing, and I do have see me shooting at that distance, 300 is plenty for me. My low BC 260 factory bullets can't reach
It is OK, we get it man. It happens to some.

It is OK, we get it man. It happens to some.

I actually don't own a 260, never did, I am now down to 22 Hornet, 223, 257 Roberts, 308, 30-30 (just one, a Marlin 336SS), and 300 WSM in centerfire rifle calibers. I just have a bunch/variety in those calibers. I think the 300 WSM would do fairly well though.

I for the life of me cannot understand how someone can justify purchasing or even leasing a Bentley. It's literally the same thing as lighting hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire and watching them burn by owning a car with if not the worst, pretty close to the bottom of the barrel for depreciation. I'm not sure what's worse Maserati or Bentley. As soon as those cars get past the warranty end date/mileage they drop to zero pretty fast.

I for the life of me cannot understand how someone can justify purchasing or even leasing a Bentley. It's literally the same thing as lighting hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire and watching them burn by owning a car with if not the worst, pretty close to the bottom of the barrel for depreciation. I'm not sure what's worse Maserati or Bentley. As soon as those cars get past the warranty end date/mileage they drop to zero pretty fast.
And in exchange for all that money, you get a car that is not as good as an S-class, 7-Series, or A8.

I don’t think many people buy a Bentley or Rolls. They lease them for a year or two. I can only assume that they are rolling in $. I think they lease them for the same reason someone buys a 10,000 square foot house in Weston. They don’t need all that space (and it’s associated upkeep costs). They buy it to say visually “mine’s bigger”.

Years ago a friend of mine was a longtime salesman at Foreign Motors West. One of his clients was the son of a very rich man. The son wanted a new McLaren-Mercedes SLR sports car. But he wanted to lease it. I can’t remember whether the term of the lease was three or four years, but no matter. My friend showed him that due to the horrible residuals on the SLR that the lease payments over the term of the lease would add up to more than the price of the car, recommending that he buy it instead of lease it. The kid didn’t care, he leased it. 🤷‍♂️

Years ago a friend of mine was a longtime salesman at Foreign Motors West. One of his clients was the son of a very rich man. The son wanted a new McLaren-Mercedes SLR sports car. But he wanted to lease it. I can’t remember whether the term of the lease was three or four years, but no matter. My friend showed him that due to the horrible residuals on the SLR that the lease payments over the term of the lease would add up to more than the price of the car, recommending that he buy it instead of lease it. The kid didn’t care, he leased it. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if there's some weird rich-guy humble brag thing going on here, where he can pretend he's being "frugal" by leasing instead of buying (because it sounds better, and people don't know it's cheaper to buy)

I wonder if there's some weird rich-guy humble brag thing going on here, where he can pretend he's being "frugal" by leasing instead of buying (because it sounds better, and people don't know it's cheaper to buy)
I don’t know. Maybe it was going to be his company car in daddy’s company and the company could write off the expense?

Buying you own it…..leasing and Dad’s company owns it

Back
Top Bottom