• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westford cop’s loaded handgun found in recycling bin

Nobody needs an AR- or a Porsche, or a wheelbarrow, or a goldfish. Owning any lawful product says nothing about you- it’s not relevant.

Owning a firearm with a defaced serial # AFAIK is a felony in all 50 states. I doubt there are many, if any people not aware that it is a serious crime. It says a lot about you if you own one and none of it is good.

Do you know how many milsurp guns have defaced serials from re-arsenals? Defaced serial is sometimes a BS charge, but in the context of this case it looks like the janitor isn't a savory character. I assume he will actually do time, unlike professional gang bangers facing the same charges, simply because he was employed by the school system and the state will want to set an example.

edited: bolded text

Last edited:
If this guy’s pistol is a re-arsenaled mil surp that has a defaced serial # I’ll personally apologize to him for jumping to conclusions. Bet me $20 it isn’t?

Nobody needs an AR- or a Porsche, or a wheelbarrow, or a goldfish. Owning any lawful product says nothing about you- it’s not relevant.

Owning a firearm with a defaced serial # AFAIK is a felony in all 50 states. I doubt there are many, if any people not aware that it is a serious crime. It says a lot about you if you own one and none of it is good.
It is actually a Federal felony. However the Feds rarely if ever will prosecute it unless there are other much larger Federal issues as well.

How about a 30 round PMAG in MA?

We could play this game for hours. What about speeding tickets? What about library fines? What if he killed somebody but that guy liked pineapple on his pizza (not a crime IMO)?

I would give him the benefit of the doubt up to the defaced serial #.

F-ing idiot.

Side note... The Westford Chief got it up his @ss that anyone renewing has to show proof of completing a gun safety class. Even if you already showed that when you got your permit last time. I almost had to take a class again until I remembered I had my hunting license.

I hope someone staples this article to their renewal and in the reasons for renewal puts, "I'm more responsible than this douche."

So yeah sounds like this guy isn't the poster boy for a good gun guy getting jammed up.

That being said we don't know how badly the serial number was defaced etc. They love to throw a slew of charges at people and see what sticks. 90% of the charges he got hit with are nothing in free states. If he defaced the serial number then yeah sucks to be him. I still think it is dangerous now that people point to others on social media with guns and that becomes grounds for an investigation.

So you are in fact equating being a crime with being a bad person.

Yeah, I reject that position. It’s a federal felony to own a rifle with a 15.9” barrel without having paid a tax. Does that automatically make someone a bad person too?

Yeah, I reject that position. It’s a federal felony to own a rifle with a 15.9” barrel without having paid a tax. Does that automatically make someone a bad person too?

yes, you are not supporting enough leaches, back to work serf!

let's not mix legalese diarrhea that's our federal and state laws with morality.

We could play this game for hours. What about speeding tickets? What about library fines? What if he killed somebody but that guy liked pineapple on his pizza (not a crime IMO)?

You're conflating malum prohibitum crimes (speeding tickets) with malum in se crimes. Two entirely different classes of crime. The former is shit that is illegal only because the state don't like it (or the behavior) and the latter- things like THEFT rape murder etc.... .are bad because they've caused actual economic or bodily harm to someone else. I mean lets face facts, at the end of the day most purely malum prohibitum crimes are horseshit, and often at worst, public
nuisances. Impugning someones character in a major way based solely on them having committed a malum prohitibutm crime is pretty mind
numbing.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt up to the defaced serial #.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't buy into it, honestly. Particularly given that there's a corner-possibility that someone could decide to deface a serial number for a far more innocuous reason. What if a thief stole a gun, defaced the serial number, but it was somehow recovered by the original
owner? Does that person who holds the gun now just lose the right to their property because some a**h*** ground a number off of it? that's just on its face,
idiotic/mind numbing. By itself- it's just another paper gun crime, its pure bullshit. It's one of those laws they passed that they knew they could get
away with because typical pious retard member of the public puts their nose in the air and goes "well, that lawr is fine, that will never happen to meeee, I'm not the sort of.... ruffian... or rapscallion.... that would ever own a gun with a DEFACED serial numburrrr.... muffy, will you please order some more grey poupon?"

obama-nose-in-the-air.jpg

Basically.... you're making a moral judgement on someone's actions or possession of an object.... based off a notion of morality which exists ONLY via some legislator creating a stupid law regulating conduct... conduct which, by itself, doesn't present any kind of ongoing public hazard or what have you. So he's a bad person just because he broke a dumb federal law that shouldn't exist? LOL. cwithe.

Now if this gun was shown to be stolen somehow, fine, throw the guy in prison, etc. I wouldn't even be against a tack on charge for something like "possession of a stolen firearm with defaced serial number" making the punishment greater- because you'd still have to prove that a bad thing happened- that someone stole a
firearm or at least acquired stolen property! But a law that says "oh this gun has a fuxored serial number, therefore its contraband all the time" is just idiotic.

-Mike

This is a crazy conversation. I’ll agree that there are sets of circumstances where being in possession of a firearm with a defaced serial # doesn’t make you a bad guy.

Let’s look at the circumstances here.

Per today’s paper the kid is a known drug user. Parents have thrown him out in past due to drug use. Currently search his room every 3 days for drugs. Kid has previously lived in “drug den” where photos with firearm with defaced serial # were taken- which led to his arrest.

If you want to get super technical about it I’m letting the totality of events influence my judgment. My judgment is this is not a good guy. I’m comfortable with that call.

If there is some wild set of circumstances that resulted in a good guy getting jammed up here I’d be the first to admit I was wrong.

This could actually go forever. No. Next one?

But you could be a bad person with an unregistered SBR.

This is a crazy conversation. I’ll agree that there are sets of circumstances where being in possession of a firearm with a defaced serial # doesn’t make you a bad guy.

Let’s look at the circumstances here.

Per today’s paper the kid is a known drug user. Parents have thrown him out in past due to drug use. Currently search his room every 3 days for drugs. Kid has previously lived in “drug den” where photos with firearm with defaced serial # were taken- which led to his arrest.

If you want to get super technical about it I’m letting the totality of events influence my judgment. My judgment is this is not a good guy. I’m comfortable with that call.

If there is some wild set of circumstances that resulted in a good guy getting jammed up here I’d be the first to admit I was wrong.

He's probably a druggie and an idiot, but there are likely millions of idiots in america (some of whom use drugs) that have guns, that probably didn't shoot anyone yesterday, or today, etc. It's funny how that
works.

Does he have a violent criminal record? Or something else that actually matters?

Otherwise he's just some pud with a gun- that happened to get caught with it in a state which requires citizens to beg for permission to even touch a gun.

Part of the reason why this country is so f***ed up (and there is lots of friction, most of which unnecessary) between LE and the public- is because of shit laws like that one that nobody has the balls to get rid of. Garbage law breeds contempt for the law, not reverence or respect.

-Mike

I don’t like these gun laws any better than you do.

The reality is that usually when you’ve intentionally defaced the serial # on a firearm it’s stolen (most likely) or you’re trying to hide a straw purchase (less likely).

Now it’s possible he didn’t intentionally deface the serial # and he’s just a pud that got jammed up for being an idiot in the extreme as you point out and they’re just radding on as many charges as they can (which I would expect). If that’s the case I’ll admit I’m wrong.

But I don’t think I’m sticking my neck out here. The gun is probably stolen.

... someone anonymously provided our high school Resource Officer with a social media picture of one of our custodians in possession of a handgun while off duty.
Under MGL it is, however the school statute requires "carry on ones person".

Maybe WPD knew the custodian was a druggie.
Maybe the social media photo showed the [ex-]custodian flashing heat on school grounds.
ETA: Maybe WPD ran the custodian's name and discovered he DIDN'T HAVE AN LTC.

Last edited:
I represent a guy in Middlesex who had a gun stolen and tried to get an update in this case. I found a linked in page:View attachment 334894
I knew a police officer who when asked what he does for a living, responded that he was a "trash collector".

Back
Top Bottom