Well I passed my range test at Moon Island...SCREW YOU MENINO!

sixdouble532one said:
Maybe he meant for a renewal?

Renewal yes.

But to make a person qualify for their first permit is truely dumb. If they don't own a handgun how does one expect any level of proficiancy.

I hate Boston in general so I'm sure I'm just very biased. I suppose from Menino's point of view the more good people who fail the better. I respect those citizens that have had to go through this and good for you if you passed.

But...

It's "common sense" gun control, people.

Requiring proficiency in the use of a gun you're not legally allowed to own.

Gotta find a public range ($) that will rent you a .38 to practice with ($) and sell you the ammo to use with it ($).

Chances are, you're gonna need gas money or bus fare to get there ($).

But, these rules aren't discriminating against the poor. Noooooo.

Wanna buy a .22 target pistol or a "high-cap" rifle for target shooting? Gotta be proficient in the use of another type of gun you might never own.

Want an 8-round capacity 12-ga. shotgun? Here's your FID card.

Want a 6-round single-action .22 revolver for target shooting? Here are your hoops. Start jumping, sucker.

pcgod said:
But to make a person qualify for their first permit is truely dumb. If they don't own a handgun how does one expect any level of proficiancy. [?]

So we should issue driver's licenses to people who've never driven? Not sure I want to go down THAT road, logically or actually.

Why object to qualifications? Because they are illegal per the standards clearly set forth in the licensing statute. What else needs be said?

Lugnut said:
Glad it worked out for you!

You know.. I've been thinking about the way some PDs treat us while applying for a LTC. Although I don't condone the rude behavior that some police exhibit... I'm wondering if they are "testing" us to see how we maintain our composure when we get hassled. I bet that's at least part of it. If one of us flew off the handle I'm sure we wouldn't be "suited" to have a LTC. But if one maintains their cool and is patient they will be rewarded....

My last PD was great. last time I went to renew they gave me my new number before I left and told me if my new LTC didn't come in before the deadline to just leave everything home until the new one comes in. When they called to tell me it was in I wasn't home so they leave a message and it being summer and me doing the boat and fishing thing several days passed before I was going to pick it up. Still would have been before the expiration of the old one. The day I planned to head over to get it I checked the mail box and they mailed it. Never had to go down to pick it up.

Wow Westwood was that good to ya? I dont know, I just figure the more well off towns the more they would get uppity on you. I belive Duxbury on the south shore here is a pain to get licenced.

I got a call from a couple guys that were taking the test at the Island. When they found out what they had to do, they wanted to practice. So, I spent a few hours with them using .38 revolvers. One of them called me the day after and both of them passed with flying colors. One missed a perfect score by only 3 points. [smile]

sixdouble532one said:
Wow Westwood was that good to ya? I dont know, I just figure the more well off towns the more they would get uppity on you. I belive Duxbury on the south shore here is a pain to get licenced.

Oh, I don't know about this town.....my apologies....I meant my last town. Just moved here and I have no idea how they will be in two years. Spoke to the Lt. there already and he seemed really nice. I still have the paper/laminate version and we talked for about 20 minutes and he was telling me about the new "drivers license" version and gave me the good and bad points about that type. I hope he's still there in 2008.

Well i wish you luck on that one. I know that it really helps to know people in the town to let them know you are of sound mind and a good citizen. Westwood is old money but a really nice town, it will be interesting to see how they are.

I had a similar experience to JellyFish. The officer at Moon Island was a breath of fresh air after dealing with all the paperwork at the station. I was there early and sat inside shooting the shit with the range officer and another officer loading up mags for practice. He took the time to check out the gun (a 4" Ruger as already described) I was going to use and whited out the front blade for me.

I took my test in Feb and it was cold out and very windy. I had already passed before the final reload from the back line. My hands were frozen and he knew it. RO told me I had to fire the last cylinder to complete the test but to just fire them as fast as I could safely. I still managed a 268. After I finished my test he was out helping change a tire of some poor guy whose car had been clobbered by one of the giant pot holes out there. Definitely a class act.

Just practice a little with someone before hand, follow their directions exactly and it's simple. It's definitely a cool place to say you have visited.

I still have the paper/laminate version and we talked for about 20 minutes and he was telling me about the new "drivers license" version and gave me the good and bad points about that type.

Can you summarize what he considered good and bad points about the new license?

FPrice said:

The good point is that the dealer is supposed to be able to match the finger print on the new one with a scanner. This is supposed to allow for a quicker check and match on the license.

The bad point is that they are just plain pieces of pastic without any counterfeiting deterants like on the drivers license.

I'm not sure if one was lost that someone couldn't finagle putting their picture on your license with your fingerprint. I think that's what he was alluding to with the counterfeiting concern.

The dealer does not "match the fingerprint on the new one". The applicant's finger print is scanned at the time of application, and the finger print scan at the dealer matches the fingerprint on file with the finger scanned at the dealer using a secure web connection. The fingerprint on the license serves no functional purpose, unless you believe that someone attempting to verify a licnese will fingerprint someone and then do a manual examination of the print.

mAss Backwards said:
Gotta find a public range ($) that will rent you a .38 to practice with ($) and sell you the ammo to use with it ($).

Chances are, you're gonna need gas money or bus fare to get there ($).

Tax deductions! [rolleyes] [rofl]

FPrice said:

Well, here's my take on the BAD part-

Anyone with the new lic. has to use their fingerprint at a MIRCS enabled
dealer, eg, FS, etc. This is one extra pain in the ass/delay over what
we already have. I've seen more people get stuck with that system,
where their print wouldnt read right, or they forgot their PIN, or the
latest ball of crap, their license wasnt activated by the PD due to some
oversight. At least with the old LTCs, none of that really
happens. (Although the MIRCS system can still go "down" and hang
everything up...).

The only "GOOD" thing about the new license is that it fits in your
wallet.

-Mike