Weapons found in Marine's baggage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read every post on this thread so I'm not sure the kid is a Mass resident and if he has a valid permit for the firearm. If he does not have the permit he should do the mandatory one year prison term under Mass law. We as gun owners are always saying that we do not need new firearms laws, that we need to enforce the ones we do have. On this I agree whole-heartedly. Put this guy in jail and make a big deal about it in the media so that other soldiers and citizens alike will see that the gun owners want enforcement of current law and not more laws. Then go after this halfwit for carrying fuses and all the other crap he had too. To say offhand that he is not a domestic terrorist threat is making one large leap. Why in the hell would an adult be carrying that kind of shit with him? I got over firecrackers and the like at about age 13. He could very well be a Tim McVeigh (sp?) in the making. If this a**h*** had been a Harvard student you guys would be calling for his testicles. Being a Marine means not a damn thing. Burn this bastard and keep pouring on the gas. We don't need this kind of moron or criminal representing this country or former vets or gun owners. When we as law-abiding gun owners have the chance to do the right and show no support for this kind of act, we can't pass it up. Do we want current laws enforced or not? If you don't want this law enforced then stop moaning the next time a firearms law is passed. People see him skate and they'll pass new laws, just wait and see.

The guy's plane simply stopped in MA for a layover. Do you really think that his PROPERLY DECLARED firearms fall under MA law in this circumstance?

And what does he need "that shit" for? What do YOU need YOUR firearms for?

If he lands in Massachusetts he is in Massachusetts and is under our law. Go to jail like any other criminal. Sane adults do not carry bomb making junk around with them. This guy should be fried.

I didn't read every post on this thread so I'm not sure the kid is a Mass resident and if he has a valid permit for the firearm. If he does not have the permit he should do the mandatory one year prison term under Mass law. .

You might want to read up on the Firearms Owner's Protection Act, as it applies in this instance. He was traveling through MA, just changing planes. He is not charged with possession without an LTC -- that's a hint that it is not needed in this case (because FOPA applies).

I didn't read every post on this thread so I'm not sure the kid is a Mass resident and if he has a valid permit for the firearm. If he does not have the permit he should do the mandatory one year prison term under Mass law.

If the guy had no intention of staying in MA, his transiting the state with a firearm is likely covered by FOPA, and he should not be proscuted for that, in any way shape or form. Boston was not his intended destination. FOPA was designed to protect gun owners in these circumstances. A prosecution of a person otherwise protected by FOPA
would be, IMHO, a serious miscarriage of justice.

As far as the rocket motors and crap go, Yeah, the guy was stupid. The thing is, I don't think the punishment will likely end up fitting the "crime".

As far as "people seeing him walk"... Come on john, you know better than that. The drive by media was done with this story the moment it was printed, because nobody got
injured or killed. [laugh]

-Mike

Most interesting about the story were the comments from story #1 in which all the comment liberals say " I told you so!" The comments on the second story from the liberals were non existent! Comments for the most part were in support. What a totally f***ed up state and country we live in these days!

It's the state. It truly is the state.[sad2]

If he lands in Massachusetts he is in Massachusetts and is under our law. Go to jail like any other criminal. Sane adults do not carry bomb making junk around with them. This guy should be fried.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over. I say again, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I'm sure the Feds will take care of him on some kind of charge involving what's not appropriate on an airliner. Like a loaded gun. Or things that set bombs off. I'll sleep better when this lug is breaking rocks. What if he had been a Kennedy on his way to Florida from Cape Cod and the plane had landed in New Jersey and all this stuff was found? Would you still defend Teddy's spawn? Not likely and you all know it. Just because he's a soldier and is one of "yours" should not mean a thing.

I'll sleep better when this lug is breaking rocks.

If putting a Marine carrying model rocket parts, that a 10 year old can buy in a hobby shop, in jail helps you sleep better at night, you have larger issues than a good dose of freedom could cure.

I'd suggest signing up for the class "Freedom for Moonbats" offered at Club Martlet.

Actually tonight on the news they're now saying he DID declare the firearm in NV.

Gee, I thought when you proeprly check a gun the TSA adds additional safeguards on it's handling. It is SUPPOSED to make it less likely the bag is lost and there is a trhead here on NES talking about it.

If he DID check it properly, why in hell didn't TSA notice the items in Vegas?

The rest of the junk sounds like the sort of stuff any younger cool-stuff-junkie might have laying around, except for the hand grenade parts, and thats the sort of stuff any younger cool-stuff-junkie that is in the miltary, might have laying around.

Of course, he could be another Tim McV, but if he really declared the gun, that seems quite unlikely.

\ except for the hand grenade parts, and thats the sort of stuff any younger cool-stuff-junkie that is in the miltary, might have laying around.

I'll bet they weren't hand grenade parts, but training grenade fuses. They're just bang sticks with a pin and a spoon. Less dangerous than the rocket engines, and that's if they were unused. The problem with these stories is you just don't know. He could have picked up a handful of spent fuses after training. Many people do. They look real. Heck, you can buy them online at BudK's and many other places with no age limit.

I'm sure the Feds will take care of him on some kind of charge involving what's not appropriate on an airliner. Like a loaded gun. Or things that set bombs off. I'll sleep better when this lug is breaking rocks. What if he had been a Kennedy on his way to Florida from Cape Cod and the plane had landed in New Jersey and all this stuff was found? Would you still defend Teddy's spawn? Not likely and you all know it. Just because he's a soldier and is one of "yours" should not mean a thing.

[rolleyes]

Your complete failure to comprehend this situation is baffling me.

Tell me you're joking.[thinking] No way should he spend anytime in Leavenworth or any jail. If anything the TSA drones should.

Considering he was NOT in MA but in an airport for a layover, MA laws do NOT apply as he was in transit. MA law kicks in ONLY if he claims his checked bags in MA. It was USAir's fault his bag ever left the confines of the secured baggage area.

So far every one of you has avoided my comparison because it's too awkward. What if this Marine moron was John Kerry or Ted Kennedy's child. What if it was a prof from Harvard on his way to a vacation destination? What would your song be then? Give me a straight answer on this one that won't make us all laugh and I'll leave it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guns and ammunition were being transported legally, in accordance with TSA regulations -- he declared them as required. He didn't need an LTC, due to FOPA. The initial charges that he did not declare the guns and ammunition was a screw-up by TSA. Given how badly they've screwed this up, I seriously doubt the veracity of the "fuse" that TSA supposedly found.

As for the model rocket motors, those aren't "bomb making" materials either. Did the Marine screw up by checking them in his bag? Yes. Was the plane ever in danger? No. Is this whole episode horribly overblown by law enforcement bungling? Yes.

So far every one of you has avoided my comparison because it's too awkward. What if this Marine moron was John Kerry or Ted Kennedy's child. What if it was a prof from Harvard on his way to a vacation destination? What would your song be then? Give me a straight answer on this one that won't make us all laugh and I'll leave it alone.

We would be defending him or her in the same way. The outrage is over the abuse by TSA and the rush to print something inflammatory by the media.

But you're not going to believe that anyway as you've made up your mind so I don't know why I even bothered responding.

There is nothing illegal about transporting a gun in your checked bag. The rest of the stuff warranted questioning and possible confiscation and that's it. This was a gross over-reaction whether it involved a Marine, a Kennedy or Norm Chomskey (and I know I spelled the name wrong)

We aren't avoiding your question because it's awkward. It's idiotic. It makes zero sense. Every reply you've been given has addressed the facts of the case as we know them, or theories surrounding the facts as we know them. The person in question is irrelevant. The same logic would apply to any person caught, including idiots with flashing lights from MIT.

If John Kerry's child was a non-commissioned officer in the United States Marine Corps and qualified MOUT instructor, traveling back to his home station after having administered scheduled and approved training pursuant to his qualifications, and he ended up in the same jam, my opinion would be exactly as it currently is. I understand that you feel it's a double standard. I disagree. I'm also quite obviously biased given my background. Also take note that I am commenting on your comparison exactly as you worded it. If you had said "What if this was John Kerry or Ted Kennedy's child instead of a Marine?" my opinion would be different. I will not apologize for defending a fellow Marine.

My "song" wouldn't be any different, frankly. Malum Prohibitum type laws are usually crap, regardless of who the accused is. Yeah, the comic value of Teddy K getting busted with a rocket motor in his bag would be fun, but frankly, even if he was the only victim, I'd still consider it to be shitty law, or at a minimum, the punishment is absurd. I guess I just don't get worked up over the equivalent of someone having a couple cans of aqua net hairspray and a firecracker in their luggage. While those things probably shouldn't be on a commercial airplane, I can't see making a felony rap out of it.

-Mike

Last edited:

Have to disagree with you on this one. The "bomb making material" and "infernal machine" parts are actually model rockets and model rocket motors.

It's not awkward, it was pointless. He declared the firearm... calling for him to be arrested for possession in MA when the bag wasn't even supposed to leave the plane is an entirely asinine position, no matter WHAT the guys last name is.

You've got it all wrong. We're defending this guy because he had no malicious intent and is just another innocent person who got screwed by TSA's screwy safety regulations. Not because he is a Marine.

We're pissed because this is what happens when you throw out a massive net to catch a few tiny fish. You end up catching more fish than you should have. You may 'sleep better at night' knowing that an innocent man is in prison for doing nothing wrong, but it keeps me up at night worried about what I may unwittingly do to slight some government agency and find myself making big rocks smaller for the rest of my life.

M1911: Again you avoid my question.

As others have pointed out, your question is pointless. I don't care who the defendant is. He's getting screwed by bureaucratic incompetence. The facts of this case and my reaction to it would be the same no matter who the defendant.

And you keep avoiding the fact that the gun and ammunition were checked in legally, and the "bomb making junk" were model rocket motors. Why is that? Why are you so anxious to hang this guy?

Innocent until proven guilty?

SA John you have already tried and convicted this guy, and your the one spouting off the loudest about following the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom