WASR bolt disassembly question

I have a question for the AK guru's out there. I bought a Century Romanian WASR some time ago as my first long gun. It works great and shoots straight. I'm very happy with it. I've even refinished the furniture so it looks all nice now.

Anyway, I'm one of those people that is very meticulous with the things I own even when it comes to a piece like this. Needless to say, that includes going over the bolt. For reference, I used the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxC3lXAxro
Looks simple enough.

The first time I tried it however, I could not push the firing pin retaining pin out by hand with the tool. I ended up taking a small hammer and tapping it out. Same with the extractor retaining pin. I cleaned it out no problem but the reassembly was difficult. I had to tap the pins back in with a hammer again, forcing the firing pin retainer in, as the extractor retainer would not go in at a correct angle.

So I pose this problem to the experts out there: what are my options? Continue to beat on it, buy new retainer pins for a few dollars, or get a new bolt assembly entirely?

Thank you.

Definitely don't continue to beat on it unless you DO want to buy a new bolt. Remove the pins again and inspect the holes for any obstructions and replace the pins with new ones. There is a good chance that you mushroomed the pins by using the hammer. Alternatively you could inspect the pins after removal and grind down any mushrooming. Hope this helps. And for future reference you shouldn't need to go that crazy cleaning the bolt for multiple thousands of rounds.

How do you meticulous folks bring your self to taking a hammer to the pins?[smile]
At least you had the foresight to stop. Take your time , you will get it.

No disassembly of an AK bolt is required unless something is broken.

If you really insist on cleaning it, a toothbrush, CLP, and some compressed air is all you'll need.

Back
Top Bottom