Want P-64 Gunsmith

CaseHardened

Banned
I own a P-64, in excellent condition.

Sadly, the first time at the Shooting Range it locked up bad midway thru the second magazine. I was using brand new Brass Cased Fiocchi.

I could not clear it; neither could the Range Gunsmith on duty. He ended up bringing it out back, sticking it a vise, and whacking it good. (I could not bear to watch).

I am looking for an experienced P-64 Gunsmith that can check it out, and shoot at least two magazines through it to confirm it is reliable, as I would like to CC it.

I can supply ammo.

That is a real bummer. Hopefully it is a minor problem that can be easily fixed, like some minor peening. I don't know any gunsmith suggestions specifically to the p64, but I'm guessing that most of the guys who do good work on 1911s could probably figure it out.

You may already be aware of the drop safety issues with a P64, if so, ignore this.

If you are interested in concealed carry of the P64, be aware that unlike some of the other 9mm Makarov pistols, there is not an independent firing pin safety. The safety locks the firing pin (which is better than most Tokarev safeties), but if the safety is off, a strike to the hammer has a good chance of firing the gun. Thus, it isn't safe to carry the gun with the safety off and a round chambered. Your comfort level may vary.

much as i liked my p64 its probably the last pistol I would carry. I like my CZ82 much better plus it holds more ammo.

OP did you keep all your fired brass and the round that was stuck.....inspect it closely. Might be a ammo problem vs a gun problem.
The p64s are built rather well

A friend had the same issue, turned out the locking block I believe it is called was broken and would jam the slide occasionally. I believe it was the same gun.

A friend had the same issue, turned out the locking block I believe it is called was broken and would jam the slide occasionally. I believe it was the same gun.

Which number is the Locking Block?

(If mine is broken, I am so screwed.)

I did not keep the brass. Should have.

exploded5.jpg

much as i liked my p64 its probably the last pistol I would carry. I like my CZ82 much better plus it holds more ammo.

OP did you keep all your fired brass and the round that was stuck.....inspect it closely. Might be a ammo problem vs a gun problem.
The p64s are built rather well

My CZ82 is my favorite Handgun, by far. (I don't own many, though)

I would not dream of CC it, though. For that I want light and small.

257445_01_cz_82_9x18_caliber__640.jpg

The CZ-82 comes with two versions of the Magazine. One has a very thin Base Plate; the other has a Thick Plastic Finger Rest (pic). Which do you prefer?

Last edited:
Oh crap.

#16 Zerdz Sprezyny Uderzeniowej

is broken. The lower rod is snapped off from the upper claw-shaped part.

It may be the HAMMER STRUT.

Numrich has none.

Advice ?

Update: FOUND ONE - NEW - on eBay $12.95 Shipped.

(I hope this cures it)

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

The CZ-82 comes with two versions of the Magazine. One has a very thin Base Plate; the other has a Thick Plastic Finger Rest (pic). Which do you prefer?

carrying a 1911 for 8 years I feel the cz82 is small and light.

Oh crap.

Numrich has none.

Advice ?

(I hope this cures it)

s-l1600.jpg

shouldnt be to bad its not like its a CZ82! note to those that do not know. DO NOT disassemble a CZ82 unless IT IS BRO)KEN!

Oh crap.

Numrich has none.

Advice ?

(I hope this cures it)

s-l1600.jpg
If you have both pieces bring it to Pulman, they can weld it.

If you have both pieces bring it to Pulman, they can weld it.

That's good to know.

I do have both pieces.

As far as I can determine, this is not a common part to break. I guess I'm just "lucky".

- - - Updated - - -

shouldnt be to bad its not like its a CZ82! note to those that do not know. DO NOT disassemble a CZ82 unless IT IS BRO)KEN!

It looks fairly simple to replace.

I'll be wearing Safety Glasses when I try to compress that Hammer Spring, though.

Glad you found the part! I wish I had gotten my C&R before the CZ82s dried up.

Well, SKS Rifles had pretty much dried up before they found NOS ones! So there is hope there will be CZ-82's again.

On the other hand, the Nagant 1895's left the building, and have not returned.

Let me know if you need help disassembling/ assembling the P64. I've completely disassembled mine once or twice. They are no where near as hard to do as the CZ82, which is a great handgun but ridiculously over-engineered.

the yugos that have come up lately are beautiful too, much nicer than a chinese sks i have. been thinking about a p64, especially some of the ones I've seen with the discreet import marks, makes them so much more appealing than the ones they 'ruined'.

I have the thin base plate mags. I have smaller hands so I don't feel the need for a mag extension finger rest.
I do have nice grips on my CZ82 from Marchal grips.

http://www.marschalgrips.com/cz82/cz82.html

Has them for the P64 also ..... great grips

http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=Polish_P-64-models

Love my P64 glad to see you got it fixed. Ammo has been interesting to find. Bought out the local shops stock in old Russian surplus. Cabalas carries it but they charge $20 for tula. Need to find a source of better stuff.

Easiest route to decent ammo is to use 380 defensive ammo. Functions fine. The bullets are undersize, yes, but it doesn't seem to effect accuracy too much.

^ I would not do this. First off, you aren't saving any money by using self defense .380 rounds in place of FMJ 9x18.
Secondly, no one in their right mind would actually carry a gun chambered for 9x18 with .380 ammo loaded in it.
Lastly, while .380 rounds may function in a 9x18 gun, it is never a good idea to fire the wrong ammo through any gun. At the very least you might ruin the barrel.

Just my .02 but clamping it in a vise and whacking it with a hammer was not the first thing I would have allowed anyone to do. Just saying.

Good luck.

IMG_20150919_1155246791a_zpsfm4c3jsz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom