• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanna talk to GOAL? BOD meeting 8/11 Braintree Rifle and Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any reason to assume that the GOAL employees or points of contact with the public are in any way responsible for the content or lack thereof in any publication or communication. Some people know what is going on, and some people are making the decisions about how GOAL should operate. I don't know who is deciding what, but I bet that the ultimate decision makers are unlikely to be the folks working for a paycheck.

I don't see any reason to assume that the GOAL employees or points of contact with the public are in any way responsible for the content or lack thereof in any publication or communication. Some people know what is going on, and some people are making the decisions about how GOAL should operate. I don't know who is deciding what, but I bet that the ultimate decision makers are unlikely to be the folks working for a paycheck.

THIS. You're talking about a guy who runs their day to day network...not someone who has a say in what to print or not to print. For my money, they haven't got a clue as to what the BOD decides to print or not. They're simply instructed what to put int he newsletter!

Best guess would be the "Communications Manager"!! [shocked]

Why the shocked smiley? He's the source of virtually all the electronic communications sent out by GOAL.

The BOD meeting notice has been part of every Friday News that I haven't thrown out yet.

That sort of decision on content is typically not made by a communications manager, but by the B.O.D. itself.

If you're trying to imply that it was the GOAL CM that decided to leave it out and not someone on (or close to) the B.O.D., then I think you're wrong, and I think you know it.

Jim, I honestly have no idea who creates/chooses content to include or not. All I know is that literally it is Mike who sends the blast out. I was being a bit facetious with the shocked smiley.

Since I just learned that the BOD only meets 4x/year (I always thought they met monthly), I'm certain that the BOD does not direct exact content to specific Friday blasts as that would require meetings and votes on a much more regular basis.

So I can't guess (because it could be one of multiple people) who made a decision to NOT include this BOD meeting in the latest Email. It might have been a slip-up or it might have been intentional . . . I don't know. I suppose someone could ask on Thursday if they thought it was that important.

Since I just learned that the BOD only meets 4x/year (I always thought they met monthly), I'm certain that the BOD does not direct exact content to specific Friday blasts as that would require meetings and votes on a much more regular basis.
I'm willing to bet that the BOD 'directs' things to the GOAL staff more than 4 times per year. Those BOD members that actually have access to the passing fad that is email also get the Friday News, since they are GOAL members.

So I can't guess (because it could be one of multiple people) who made a decision to NOT include this BOD meeting in the latest Email.
In light of the recent threads/revelations, who besides a board member would have done this? Seriously.

It might have been a slip-up or it might have been intentional . . . I don't know.

Dude.

I suppose someone could ask on Thursday if they thought it was that important.

I hope someone does before they go to 'closed session'. Again.

Ah! Thanks Adam. 7:30 everyone, not 6:30

I believe the note in TOM says it's at GOAL HQ. That is incorrect, it's at Braintree R&P

...Why in the world would TOM report that the meeting is at GOAL HQ??? Certain folks on the BOD may feel that NES doesn't represent the majority of GOAL, but in this instance, members of GOAL who rely on TOM instead of NES are bound to be SOL....

With all this wrong info floating out there, it would be a wonder if they even got a quorum. That means nothing discussed or voted on until the following month!

The last meeting, they were supposed to vote on whether or not to support a billboard. From all I've heard, they didn't vote on it, and went into executive session pretty quickly.

So the meetings in the past have been mentioned in the Friday news letter but for some reason this particular meeting was left out. [rofl] Was that by design or just a slip up? Who sent out the Friday news?

Best guess would be the "Communications Manager"!! [shocked]

Who's that?

"GOAL C.M."

Don't forget, MikeS and GOAL and Jon also have logins and post on here.

THIS. You're talking about a guy who runs their day to day network...not someone who has a say in what to print or not to print. For my money, they haven't got a clue as to what the BOD decides to print or not. They're simply instructed what to put int he newsletter!

The way I figure it is the Board of Directors gives direction to Jim Wallace. He takes that information and executes it through his staff as he sees fit. They do the best they can given what information they are given. At least this is the way it is supposed to work. Again, my best guess.

Why the shocked smiley? He's the source of virtually all the electronic communications sent out by GOAL.

The BOD meeting notice has been part of every Friday News that I haven't thrown out yet.

That sort of decision on content is typically not made by a communications manager, but by the B.O.D. itself.

If you're trying to imply that it was the GOAL CM that decided to leave it out and not someone on (or close to) the B.O.D., then I think you're wrong, and I think you know it.

I thought a Communications Manager is supposed to communicate effectively, and avoid this sort of confusion.

Just to clarify my position since there is at least one Mod here that thinks that I'm pinning the blame on one GOAL Staffer (I'm NOT)!

- GOAL BOD does NOT rely on NES, TOM or the weekly Email Blast from GOAL for their BOD Meeting notice. You and I can be certain that they got their info correctly. If there is any quorum issue, it will likely be because BOD Members who live in Western MA or even Central MA will have a bear of a time getting to Braintree thru grid-locked rush-hour traffic and may not even try to attend. Some folks still have to work for a living and that trek after work (in rush hours) is "mission impossible"!

- Mike is the Communications Manager and communicates what he is directed to send out by whatever means he is directed to do so. No way or shape do I pin any blame on Mike for what was posted/printed/etc. I do not know who directed Mike to put or not put any particular info in the Email Blast. I personally don't think it worth my effort to speculate who or why certain info may not have been included other than my comments below.

- Most orgs with newsletters use a "standard format blurb" for meeting notices and other mundane stuff. Since GOAL BOD meets at Northboro 99.999999% of the time, I personally believe it was an honest oversight when they announced that location for the August BOD Meeting. I don't see a conspiracy here.

- I was told by an elected member of the GOAL BOD that September is their regular BOD Meeting and the August BOD Meeting is a "Special BOD Meeting" (no, I didn't ask why) that is a substitute for a prior BOD meeting that for some reason (unknown to me) didn't take place. That could also lead to why this particular BOD Meeting didn't make it into the Email Blast. Again I see it as an honest error and not a conspiracy . . . no doubt others will differ.

- Braintree R&P is feeding the GOAL BOD Members at the earlier time. The public (and even club members) are NOT invited to dinner!!

- Like others, I'd like to see full disclosure on inter-corporate contracts and who beside the paid staffers at GOAL are paid from the three corporations. Unlike others, I believe that TOM should be a separate corporation to protect GOAL itself in case the publication were to go in the red (my story before about the demise of the Boston Computer Society).

Here's a thought;@there are a lot of people asking excellent questions regarding how things happen, are run, who makes decisions etc about GOAL.

Please do not answer them with speculation. If you know for a fact, share that with us but if you're guessing, please keep it to yourself as the waters are muddy enough already. 'I think' and 'my understanding is' just confuses the issue even more.

Please do not answer them with speculation. If you know for a fact, share that with us but if you're guessing, please keep it to yourself as the waters are muddy enough already. 'I think' and 'my understanding is' just confuses the issue even more.

So LenS should not post anything anymore, is that what you are trying to get through. [grin]

So LenS should not post anything anymore, is that what you are trying to get through. [grin]

que?

clear as mud.

- Braintree R&P is feeding the GOAL BOD Members at the earlier time. The public (and even club members) are NOT invited to dinner!!

where is it at? i want to call in a beer for those guys & gals. they deserve it.

Let's pull in your horns, guys. We all know that Len is one of the most helpful posters here on NES. We surely don't need conjecture and maybe after tomorrow's BOD meeting the ship will start to steer a little less crooked.

Thanks to all the folks that are able to attend tomorrow's meeting.

Last edited:
Len wasnt being singled out or I would have refered to him by name. A lot of people are trying to be helpful and offering possibilities but frankly the only answers I'm interested in come from the BOD.

GOAL BOD does NOT rely on NES, TOM or the weekly Email Blast from GOAL for their BOD Meeting notice.

The notice isn't for them, it's for us. I'm sure the GOAL BOD knows when and where it's going to meet.

However, since not one but two BOD members posted in the other thread that if we want our voices heard, we should go to a meeting, how about WE get some notice as to where and when the meeting will be held?

Does that seem like a reasonable thing to ask?

I'd actually found something interesting about goal this past week when I was at Camp Perry.

years back, when the CMP was the DCM, there was a large amount of DCM support for "state" teams (including rifles, ammo, and at times vouchers for lodging/food/etc for attending nationals). Mass used to have a fairly large (and IIRC, successful) state rifle team. well, obviously the DCM is no more, and for the most part, "state" teams are funded by donations and occassionally raffles/fundraisers of sorts.

well, Mass hasn't had a "state team" in a WHILE. I'd asked about it, and was told they'd approached GOAL a number of times about possibly sponsoring a team (lets face it, we know we aren't going to get free guns and ammo anymore, but considering the time/money we spend to get out to nationals on our own dime, damned near anything would help). the GOAL rep that was asked flat out said "no, we're not interested in sponsoring a team @ the National Matches"

it's too bad. My GOAL membership expires at the end of this month, and I won't be renewing it again.

on a side note, GO-NH fielded a team this year. a few of those guys did pretty well out there too.

add%20fuel%20to%20the%20fire.jpg

Pretty short sighted if the reason not to support GOAL is because they don't sponsor a State shooting team, IMO.

perhaps it is, choosing to support (or not support) GOAL is a personal choice, and if I choose to be a "single issue voter", then so be it. I'd be willing to be that at least on a political level, 90% of the people on this forum are single issue voters.

Rifle marksmanship is what I do. I teach juniors how to shoot (rifle, smallbore, and as they get a bit bigger, highpower), and personally compete on a national level.

it's kind of sad, actually. on the line for the National Team Trophy match, seeing state flags all the way up and down, MA curiously missing. I'd like to see that changed, but no one's willing to fly the flag on a state thats turned its back on us.

Stupidity has never been in short supply here, sadly.

So I'm stupid...because I choose to not support an organization that's done absolutely nothing for me?....and literally turned its back on the disciplines that I actually value? Sorry, I dont shoot IDPA and USPSA, so my sport of choice doesnt garner the attention of GOAL.

Jeeze, all about protecting the second ammendment, forget about that free speech thing huh? or is it just an NES thing that we have to automatically bash anything we dont agree with.

you want to support goal? cool. mad that i'm not supporting them? then send them 2 dues checks this year.

Last edited:
perhaps it is, choosing to support (or not support) GOAL is a personal choice, and if I choose to be a "single issue voter", then so be it. I'd be willing to be that at least on a political level, 90% of the people on this forum are single issue voters.

Rifle marksmanship is what I do. I teach juniors how to shoot (rifle, smallbore, and as they get a bit bigger, highpower), and personally compete on a national level.

it's kind of sad, actually. on the line for the National Team Trophy match, seeing state flags all the way up and down, MA curiously missing. I'd like to see that changed, but no one's willing to fly the flag on a state thats turned its back on us.

Well that just sounds stupid, thank god we have enough stupid around here. /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom