• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wanna talk to GOAL? BOD meeting 8/11 Braintree Rifle and Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you may have read the thread I started a few weeks ago. I and others raised some issues regarding how 1/3 of the GOAL budget is spent.

2 of the BOD members - Chris and Nicole - posted invitations to attend if you have questions as the BOD has nothing to hide.

I plan on being there. If you have questions, if you have concerns if you just want to make your presence known, show up.

You might remember Chris comment that NES isn't representative of GOAL. Why don't we demonstrate that isn't true.

The meeting is 8/11 at 6:30 at the Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club in Braintree.

And for those of you who may not remember what the major issue was or may not be sure that there IS an issue, take a look at this article on Conflict of Interests in a Non-Profit.

http://www.t-tlaw.com/np-09.htm

I really hope to see many of you on the 11th.

EDIT

Boris had a good suggestion. For those that want to add their names to this but can't go on the 11th:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/goalandtheoutdoormessage/signatures

The text of this is the same letter we submitted to GOAL on 6/16 at their BOD meeting. If you wish to sign it, please do so but you MUST be a member of GOAL or your signature really is meaningless. Therefore you must add your GOAL member number in the comments section of the petition for your signature to count.

Sign it or not, your call.

Last edited:
To BobP and Everyone,

The meeting starts at 730pm. The club is providing dinner at 630 for the BOD members only I believe. Nothing on Nicole's notification says otherwise.

Ah! Thanks Adam. 7:30 everyone, not 6:30

I believe the note in TOM says it's at GOAL HQ. That is incorrect, it's at Braintree R&P

Ah! Thanks Adam. 7:30 everyone, not 6:30

I believe the note in TOM says it's at GOAL HQ. That is incorrect, it's at Braintree R&P

Bob, thank you.

Why in the world would TOM report that the meeting is at GOAL HQ??? Certain folks on the BOD may feel that NES doesn't represent the majority of GOAL, but in this instance, members of GOAL who rely on TOM instead of NES are bound to be SOL.

I'll also be there.

Last edited:
The email blast said Braintree so I called last week to ask which was correct. It's Braintree.

I plan to be there. It will be interesting to see how many of the most outraged posters on the difficult and contentious thread show up. I am hoping that we get a good turnout.

Last edited:
I'm going to be out of town for most of August, including the date of the meeting. I hope there's a good NES turn out, and I'm sorry I can't be part of it.

Can't be there but if there is a way to get my "opt out" $8 back into GOAL's pockets I'm for it.

Make a phone call to the GOAL office!

I've been told on good authority that TOM only gets paid by GOAL for the copies mailed out, so if you opt out of TOM GOAL does NOT pay TOM for your copy and keeps the money.

I've been told on good authority that TOM only gets paid by GOAL for the copies mailed out, so if you opt out of TOM GOAL does NOT pay TOM for your copy and keeps the money.

I hope you're right, Len. It seems strange that this wasn't brought forth during that testy mega-thread.

Bob,

is there any chance you can draft some sort of petition for those who won't be able to come? I will be in the middle of my shift on the North shore, so there is no way I can get to Braintree without skipping work. My questions and opinions are aligned with yours pretty well, I'd like to sign some sort of request. I am currently a GOAL member and it's up for renewal.

I know that normal people get off work in the evening, but some of us have to work evenings and weekends to pay bills and memberships. I just hope that GOAL represents us too, even though we may be NES members.

A phone call to the GOAL office will not result in an answer. I made that phone call and was asked to e-mail my question to GOAL. I then received a reply that read simply, "I have forwarded your request to the GOAL Board."

I hope you're right, Len. It seems strange that this wasn't brought forth during that testy mega-thread.

That thread was nothing more than a mega-rant. Most weren't interested in any facts, just needed a sounding board to rant. [I agree that there are questions that need answers, so I'm not dissing the legit questions raised in that thread.]

A phone call to the GOAL office will not result in an answer. I made that phone call and was asked to e-mail my question to GOAL. I then received a reply that read simply, "I have forwarded your request to the GOAL Board."

Believe what you'd like, but I'll believe my source for the info. When you call the office, you get staff and they don't make those decisions nor are they totally knowledgeable about things that the BOD controls. All I will say is that my source is a BOD member that I called for other reasons not related to that thread.

That thread was nothing more than a mega-rant. Most weren't interested in any facts, just needed a sounding board to rant. [I agree that there are questions that need answers, so I'm not dissing the legit questions raised in that thread.]

Believe what you'd like, but I'll believe my source for the info. When you call the office, you get staff and they don't make those decisions nor are they totally knowledgeable about things that the BOD controls. All I will say is that my source is a BOD member that I called for other reasons not related to that thread.

In other words, your advice to Yanici to "make a phone call to the GOAL office!" was completely useless.

Let's not get off track here. The meet is coming up in Braintree. The questions will get raised. Then, I'll bet that we can get something back that will settle some issues. The train has left the station. We all will be waiting for something with substance.

In other words, your advice to Yanici to "make a phone call to the GOAL office!" was completely useless.

Save the vitriol for someone else!

The real message is do NOT call the GOAL Staff and expect them to know the financials between different corporations . . . which is handled by the BODs . . . totally separate entities.

What I was told and told Yanci is . . . (if you wish) call the GOAL office and request to be dropped from the TOM mailings . . . and that TOM is paid by GOAL based on the number of copies mailed out, NOT the number of GOAL members.

Let's not get off track here. The meet is coming up in Braintree. The questions will get raised. Then, I'll bet that we can get something back that will settle some issues. The train has left the station. We all will be waiting for something with substance.

Don't be surprised if answers aren't available until after the September meeting. I don't know this as fact, but I got that impression. I don't know if this topic is even on the BOD agenda for August.

Don't be surprised if answers aren't available until after the September meeting. I don't know this as fact, but I got that impression. I don't know if this topic is even on the BOD agenda for August.
don't be surprised if the answers aren't available until the November meeting either! The BOD doesn't have any idea about financials, who owns what, what's an NPO and what isn't.

Most likely they will issue a statement regarding this, once the shredding is complete, and that will be their conclusion to it. It's nice we members have such representation, looking out for the interests of ALL members, rather than a man who would be king!

So Len, you actually don't have any hard information for us with that. You're quoting what an unnamed source on the BOD assures you is true and you believe him or her. Good. Glad for you, but as for me I'd like to see a more definitive statement than 'trust me the check is in the mail'. And you did contradict yourself there.

Boris, good idea. Let me work on that.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/goalandtheoutdoormessage/

OK,

Per Boris' request is an online petition.

The text of this is the same letter we submitted to GOAL on 6/16 at their BOD meeting. If you wish to sign it, please do so but you MUST be a member of GOAL or your signature really is meaningless. Therefore you must add your GOAL member number in the comments section of the petition for your signature to count.

Sign it or not, your call. I'm just doing this because Boris asked for it.

I signed the petition in hopes that GOAL and the BOD will take notice and move on the issues. This is not a threat to disenroll from GOAL.

I signed the petition in hopes that GOAL and the BOD will take notice and move on the issues. This is not a threat to disenroll from GOAL.
No, I think at this point GOAL BoD needs to be given a chance to respond and redress as required, but understand that we are fed up with the culture of corruption in MA, so we won't tolerate it here just because they are "on our side" WRT 2A rights.

If they've got a good explanation, then that's great, I'd love to hear it and then we can move on. If not, then fix it and then get back to the work at hand.

We've got a lot of political stones to throw at the opposition in the coming years we cannot afford to live in glass house.

No, I think at this point GOAL BoD needs to be given a chance to respond and redress as required, but understand that we are fed up with the culture of corruption in MA, so we won't tolerate it here just because they are "on our side" WRT 2A rights.

If they've got a good explanation, then that's great, I'd love to hear it and then we can move on. If not, then fix it and then get back to the work at hand.

We've got a lot of political stones to throw at the opposition in the coming years we cannot afford to live in glass house.

EXACTLY

I'm not doing this because I have an ax to grind against GOAL or anyone else. GOAL is the largest pro-2A org in MA right now and can't afford to have weak spots. This appears to be a pretty big chink in the armor and it needs to be fixed. What may have been OK in the past isn't OK now. Stakes are higher, scrutiny is tighter and the other side plays a lot dirtier than it did. Caesar's Wife must be above reproach.

Just a thought: Remember, we want to hear what they're going to do about things, we don't want to disrupt the meeting. Let's be polite but firm.

Signed.

Good luck with this Bob P. Thanks for bringing this issue to light.

Wish I could be at the BOD meeting in Braintree but unfortunately I have a scheduling issue.

Please keep us updated!

Given how open Chris and Nicole were here in the previous thread I'm keeping positive expectations. I just want to be able to demonstrate that we have people with legitimate concerns about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom